1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Just Starting

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Axle, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Axle Member

United-States
    Hi All,

Thought I would post and introduce my self. I'm just starting out, I use to build and paint plastic models and do some oil painting a thousand years ago. I got the bug to get back into the hobby and think building and panting figures is great hobby. I have not purchase a figure yet, in the process of getting brushes and paint first.

Do any of you in the US know if there are any figure-painting clubs in the Northern California area?
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Good to have you back Richard.
    Carl.(y)
  3. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    There is one in Mendecino but they forget to go to the meetings. I joke, Richard. Welcome aboard. If you do not find a club, you have the biggest resource going here on the Planet. The points of view of hundreds of painters and sculptors from all over the world are invaluable whether you are new or a dinosaur like moi.--
  4. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Richard, I lived in the bay area for a few years and never heard of any figure model groups in Northern California. To the best of my knowledge the only CA group is in southern California. However, there are a good number of IPMS chapters all over CA. I know their focus is typically more on car/airplane/tank models... but they are usually interested and open to figure modeling too. I know the one here in Baltimore has several people into figure painting and they are always interested to see and discuss any figures I bring in. It might be worth checking out one of the IPMS meetings just to see if there are any other figure modelers. Here's an IPMS list for California
    http://www.ipmsusa.org/ChapterDirectory/state_select.asp?ST=CA

In the meantime, places like PlanetFigure are certainly a great resource. The community here is always happy to offer any advice or tips you might need to help get you going.
  5. Axle Member

United-States
    Thanks for the comments....
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Howdy, and welcome to the Planet (y)!!

Joe
  7. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Richard, welcome to the site.

What medium are you thinking of painting in? If it's oils and you still have your old paints they might still be good, oils can last in the tube for decades.

Einion
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

If you do need to get yourself set up from scratch I'd recommend buying the paints online as generally there's a massive saving.

In terms of brands, would you know what you're going to go for? Ditto with the palette? You can do a lot with a pretty small palette, for a huge initial saving when it comes to oils! There are a good few previous threads on palettes that might prove useful if you want to try a search. I'd recommend getting a core palette of maybe a dozen paints at the outside, two of those being Titanium White and Mars Black.

Brushes are a bit trickier since you might want to inspect them before you buy, although any good site will have a good returns policies. If you used to be a Series 7 fan their QC has taken a nosedive the past few decades so I'd strongly recommend trying something else, probably be cheaper to boot. Again, numerous prior threads on this if you'd like to have a look.

Dick Blick are one of the best online vendors, in all respects, although it's rare they'll be beaten on price it's worth shopping around for promotions and to compare shipping to your location.

Einion
  9. Axle Member

United-States
    Einion and All,

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to be using acrylic paint, and no I'm not that smart my oils are goneLOL. Never thought I would be picking up a fine art brush again, never say never. Thanks for the tip on Dickblick site.

THANKS
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Richard,

Where in No. California do you live? We have a small group here in the Sacramento area that meet monthly.
  11. Axle Member

United-States
    I live in Sacramento. Where do you meet????
  12. Einion Well-Known Member

Welcome. Blick are an excellent place to shop for brushes* but you'll have to look elsewhere for paints if you'll be using acrylics, unless you're interested in the Jo Sonjas.

*Top picks include Raphaël 8404, daVinci Maestro and Escoda Reserva, all of which they sell. Their Master Kolinsky brushes are also well worth trying, excellent quality and competitively priced.

Einion