1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Josef "Pips" Priller from BF109 Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, May 23, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone ,

This forum is great for allowing companies to share their products and its nice to welcome another new company :

BF109 003.jpg
    The company's aim being :
    To offer quality subjects in popular scales with limited runs bringing history alive with the releases .

With a title like BF109 the flyers are an obvious and good choice of subjects and one of these being the very first release from them it is :

Josef "Pips" Priller
    0a.jpg

I am pleased with the subject choice as this flyer certainly was a "Knight of the Air" in my opinion.

Lets have some information on "Pips"

Josef “Pips” Priller was born on 27 July 1915 at Ingolstadt in Bayern. In 1935, Fahnenjunker Priller was serving in Infanterie regiment 19. Oberfähnrich Priller transferred to the Luftwaffe and began his flying training at Salzwedel in October 1936. On 1 April 1937, Leutnant Priller was posted to I./JG 135. In November 1938 the unit was redesignated I./JG 233 and again on 1 May 1939 to I./JG 51. In July 1939, he was serving with I./JG 71 which was to be redesignated II./JG 51 in October 1939. On 1 October 1939, Priller was appointed Staffelkapitän of 6./JG 51.

He gained his first victories on 28 May 1940 over Dunkirk in aerial combat with RAF fighters. He claimed six victories during the French invasion including his 6th on 25 June being a RAF Spitfire fighter near Desvres. By the end of August his victory total stood at 15.

On 17 October, Oberleutnant Priller claimed his 20th victory resulting in the award of the Ritterkreuz on 19 October.

He claimed at least fourteen victories during the Battle of Britain . On 20 November 1940, Priller was transferred as Staffelkapitän to 1./JG 26.

. That winter, JG 26 was withdrawn from the Channel front back to Germany for a rest, returning to the Channel Priller enjoyed a remarkable run of victories between 16 June and 11 July 1941 shooting down 19 RAF aircraft, including 17 Spitfire fighters, to bring his victory total to 39.

On 14 July, Priller shot down his 40th victim. He was awarded the Eichenlaub (Nr 28) on 19 October for 41 victories. Hauptmann Priller became Gruppen kommandeur of III./JG 26 on 6 December 1941.

By the end of 1941 Priller’s score stood at 58.

He recorded his 60th victory on 27 March 1942 and his 70th victory on 5 May..

By the end of 1942 Priller had 81 confirmed victories

On 11 January 1943, Priller became Kommodore of JG 26, Oberstleutnant Priller brought up his 100th victory on 18 July 1944 when he brought down a USAAF B-24 four-engine bomber.

On 1 January 1945, Priller led JG 26 and III./JG 54 in the attack on the Allied airfields, codenamed Operation Bodenplatte, at Brussels-Evére and Brussels-Grimbergen. On 28 January, Priller was appointed Inspekteur der Jagdflieger Ost, a position that required he cease operational flying and which he held until the end of the war.

Post-war “Pips” Priller managed the family brewery business. He died on 20 May 1961 at Böbing in Oberbayern following a heart attack.

Josef “Pips” Priller flew 307 combat missions to achieve 101 victories. All his victories were recorded and included 11 four engined bombers He was the most successful pilot against the british Spitfire claiming at least 68 of them.

Truley a flying ace.

aa.jpg a.jpg
    The car he so loved is a BMW 327/55 Sports Cabriolet , behind we see his plane.
    aaaaa.jpg JOSEF PRILLER 2.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg

0aaaaa.jpg 000.jpg 0aaaaaa.jpg 000.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap

Grod and ALTORES STUDIO like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets see what we are looking at in this review:

Title: Josef "Pips" Priller

Reference:BF109-001

Scale: 1/16th (approx 120mm)

Material: Gray Resin

No of parts: 1 plus a brass rod

Sculptor: Antonia Meseguer

Box Art: Juanma Vergara

Shipping was fast and efficient the box being in a good padded jiffy bag with the actual resin being double wrapped in soft material and then bubble wrap.

NOTE: BF109 have also supplied a thin brass rod (approx 2mm) for use with the base this is to be found secured under sellotape on the end inside the box

The box was a cardboard material holding the contents safely , on one side we have the box art
    BF109 001.jpg
    on the other we have reproduced picture of the subject from WW2
    BF109 002.jpg
    on the side we have the company logo.

Prep
    As this is a one piece casting my optivisor was in full use looking for anything to clean off ...I found NOTHING so prep is simple wash, dry, choose your base ( I will use a brass rod similar to the one supplied) , prime and paint.

Pips is sculpted very well by Antonio in his leather flying jacket with a polo neck jumper and the Knight Cross at his neck , he is bareheaded with a smile that was seen often by his flight.
    BF109 013.jpg
    BF109 011.jpg BF109 010.jpg BF109 008.jpg BF109 007.jpg
    BF109 006.jpg BF109 005.jpg BF109 004.jpg

The facial features are very impressive and looks like the man , the hair is swept back from the front with the sides cut high above his ears , the texturing of the hair is very nicely done.

Eyes are again of the very high standard , nose and nostrils are well formed the mouth is open , smiling , with his teeth showing . grinning at the award he has at the neck .

The polo jumper has some well defined ribbing on the surface , the cross at the neck being very well shaped and with good edges.

The Jacket has all the correct seams in place...of particular note is the Luftwaffe eagle , not over done or too heavy in sculpting . BF109 011.jpg

The collar of the jacket is folded down with the jacket itself being open , the zip on each side is well sculpted , with both the collar and jacket edges having really nice undercuts , spot on in scale .

The handkerchief is evident coming out the pocket in a pointed style , nice touch this .

On his shoulders we have the epaulettes of his rank again nicely done .
    BF109 012.jpg
    Final Thoughts

This is a lovely bit of work , extremely well sculpted , nice box art and very well cast , a small bust but packed full of details , allowing the painter to really enjoy the bench time .

A really great start from BF109 Models and I for one certainly look forward to seeing more from the talented team.

Highly Recommended

Lets have some more pictures of the box art for you to enjoy :

0a.jpg
    0aaaa.jpg 0aaa.jpg 0aa.jpg

For more details on this have a look at :

Email: info@bf109models.com

You can message ofcourse via Planet Figure

As well as following them on FB ...I know I am

Thanks to the guys at BF109 003.jpg for the review piece , I hope to share more from them very soon

Cheers also to you all for looking in

Nap
    jerry, Wings5797 and ALTORES STUDIO like this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good review Kevin.
    Not really my subject but BF109 Models look to have joined the fray with a cracking casting.

Cheers,
    Keith
    napoleonpeart likes this.