1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Jeff Shiu Barbarossa - step 1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi All,

I've been busy finishing up some hard-to-finish stuff (to be posted at some other time), but couldn't resist already starting on Jeff Shius brilliant 1/16 early war German machine gunner. What a great figure.

Here's the face. I've been fiddling around with it forever, trying some new techniques, and am curious as to what you think about it. I've become blind to it by now you know...

By the way, the rest of the figure is just basecoated. I pre-shaded the nooks and crannies, and now its waiting for an airbrushed base coat. I replaced the breast eagle with a photo-etched one, as the sculpted version was way too large and curiously shaped.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

avuo, Gellso, Reccymech and 21 others like this.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start Adrian. Like the eyes and harassed look.

Ron
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Adrian!

Great start on the face. It seems Danilo Cartacci book have here some results?!:confused:
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice start Adrian! (y)
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great start Adrian.
    Carl.
  6. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I think you have done a great job on the face
    Sam
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Awesome face Adrian. Your many hours of fiddling around have paid dividends.

- Steve
  8. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like it.
    You've got a nice natural look to it but he still looks warm and a bit stressed..

:)

Mark
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The eyes look excellent, they are focused but tired.

Steve
  10. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb face and eyes Adrian, a quite fantastic start, you will enjoy painting this!!
  11. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    adrian, so far, so good!
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Adrian,
    I think that it looks fabulous. Great fiddling.
    Cheers
    John
  13. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice start Adrian, he certainly looks under pressure for sure, watching and probably buying. Les
  14. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    This is an excellent figure and well sculpted,but i,ve noticed something with the epulettes or shoulder boards.They look a lttle short in that the button would be under the shoulder strap?.
    Andy
  15. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice 1 Adrian - you have got that face spot on - exertion and lack of sleep, like it very much - keep us in the loop.:D
  16. PANZERSCHRECK Member

Germany
    Well painted face- really good!
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrain mate,
    You have certainly captured a wonderful natural look, the facial tones are spot on and I would not change a thing. The focus and apprehension portrayed through the eyes are stunning.
    Get wielding that brush and posting updates.
    cheers
    Richie
  18. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Adrian,

very lifelike face, I'm sure it will be a stunning figure!

Keep us updated!
    Denes
  19. mamelon Active Member

Poland
    Why there is blood in the eyes?
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Gentlemen, thanks for the many positive comments. In fact, I was rather doubtful about the finish, so I am very happy that you like it and picked out the tired look. Keeps me going with this one!

To address some of your comments:

@Pedro: LOL! Well, the book is very good, but I'm affraid it will take a while before it influences my painting. It turns out that Danilo combines acrylics and oils, and I just went over from oils to acrylics and am starting to get the hang of them. But you never know, learning is a journey and the end of it may be just that combination. We'll see. Plenty of learning left for the moment. But if you ever see only a glimpse of Danilo's touch, that would really make my day!

@Michal: yes the eyes are quite red. I may have overdone it a bit. I wanted to portray a very tired look and took my own eyes as an example (after a day in the office focusing on papers and a computer screen). They do turn quite red, and I thought running around on the Eastern Front would be even more tiring, so would make eyes even redder. but then again, I may have overdone it a bit...

Thanks for looking and commenting guys. I'm a slow modeller, so next update may take a while. I really have to finish some other stuff first.

Cheers,
    Adrian