1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Jean Le Bon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Mar 30, 2013.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    This latest is inspired by the works of Luca(Elvis). He is still the master though.:happy:
    It is an Elite kit and painted in oils over acrylics.
    I had a lot of problems attaching the axe arm??? It seems that my two part epoxy glue was old and would not glue and harden:dead:
    New glue fixed the problem. But you sure use a lot of glue with the syringe tubes of epoxy. I could not find just plain separate little tubes. Guess they don't make them any more.:grumpy:

I may tone down the hair a little and also increase the yellow tone to the non highlight side of the Fluere-de-lis.

He is dirtied up just a tad for atmosphere, as he stands straight for his portrait to be painted??
    Pastels were used for the grime on the clothes and shield and also his feet and groundwork.

jeandedt.jpg jeaneedt.jpg jeanfedt.jpg jeangedt.jpg jeanhedt.jpg

The last shot is the base without the figure so that you get a better view of it. I Cut the side of the wall to fit the width of the wood base.

jeanaedt.jpg

All comments are greatfully accepted and thanks for taking the time to look.
    Cheers
    John
    Karlosfandango, arxo, NickM and 17 others like this.
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Like it a lot! The blue is awesome. The back of the shield is outstanding and the groundwork very realistic!
    Excellent work, John! (y)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    John Bowery likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece John.
    Excellent with the blue window and grey stone,
    matches the figure perfectly.
    Carl.(y)
    John Bowery likes this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely, crisp job, John.
    Steve(y)
    John Bowery likes this.
  5. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Very nicely painted John.

I would probably choose a different color of the background when it comes to pictures.
    John Bowery likes this.
  6. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Really nice job John, from the figure to the backdrop and groundwork. I especially like the way you handled the rusty red hair and beard - I wouldn't change its tone at all.

If I may ask, where did the backdrop come from, especially, the stained glass window; I'm working on a similar backdrop for my latest project and need exactly the kind of window you used!

Cheers,

Brian
    John Bowery likes this.
  7. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Looks good John! I've always liked this figure. Great job on the groundwork.

Jason
    John Bowery likes this.
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work John,the hair colour is very striking and suits the period,great background as well and nice at tension to detail on the groundwork,you must be well pleased with the result,congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us :)

Brian
    John Bowery likes this.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Lovely piece of work John.

Roger.
    John Bowery likes this.
  10. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Nice job on the blues John! The groundwork is well done also.
    Scott
    John Bowery likes this.
  11. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Looks very excellent! John.:woot:

It is a gorgeous king.

Background is amazing.

It is a great display.

Congratulations.;)

Mitsutaka:)
    John Bowery likes this.
  12. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This guy looks great in all respects John (y)!!

Joe
    John Bowery likes this.
  13. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    all the colour tie in really well , top job
    John Bowery likes this.
  14. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Nice work John, I like very much how did you painted the figure, the wall with the window is a historical context detail that I love.
    The rust over the stone blocks is a fine detail.
    About the hair, has a strong tone, but not so unnatural, I think.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    John Bowery likes this.
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice piece John. Superb handling of the colours and grime.

Regards

Ron
    John Bowery likes this.
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good work John,
    I think this whas my fourth figure I painted. But it is a great one to paint.

Marc
    John Bowery likes this.
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Zeno, Carl, Steve, Peter, Brian, Jason, Brian, Roger, Scott, Mitsutaka, Joe, Eduardo, Ron Marc.
    Many thanks for the very fine comments. Thanks also for taking the time to comment. It is greatly appreciated.

Brian W.
    The window is from Reality in scale. I cut down a window that I like to make it fit the opening. I had windows from Verlinden but I thought they were too dark. The window was a little longer and wider, so I cut out the center part and cut the bottom to give me a central looking stained glass with the center in prominance. There is two sheets of various size windows in the set. The wall is a resin one from Armand Bayardi and had the whole window casing originally. He has several different walls and stairs.

Cheers
    John
  18. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    it is very excellent work, the face expression is hard,skin is very fine (if you can,tell me the range of skin color iou had use for this figure) metals is realistic.
    John Bowery likes this.
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Fabrizio,
    Thanks for the nice comment. The method I use is a base coat of Humbrol dessert sand #93 enamal. When that has dried 48 hours I then use Daniel Cartucci mixes as per his book.
    Hope this helps you some.
    Cheers
    John
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    John ,

A really nice piece , like the design on the shield and clothing very tight in design ...the hair for me looks a touch too bright ..I would put a wash to tone down .

Really like the back of the shield .....what mixes did you achieve this with ?

Nice work on the metalics as well , the armour and the axe ...as for the basework ....great piece of modelling which works well with this piece

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    John Bowery likes this.