1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Isandlwana - under threat of development

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mat Lambert, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some may be alarmed/interested about this - a mall, hotel and Zulu heritage theme park is planned on the battlefield site of Isandlwana.
    Read the link
    http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2823
    [IMG]

I'm torn on this - it sounds completely awful and would spoil an iconic vista, but also feel it should be up to SA to develop their Zulu heritage sites from their own perspective as they like (within reason).

Cheers
    Mat
    stoffy01 likes this.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    They'll be needing your services mat........ hopefully.

Keith
    peedee and Mat Lambert like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Mmmmmm......

Like you Matt in 2 minds about this but hopefully it will be done with respect for the site itself

Nap
    peedee, stoffy01 and Mat Lambert like this.
  4. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Disney once proposed a similar development for Gettysburg ... until the heritage group put a stop to it.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Is nothing sacred any more, and safe from the risk of "developers" and money-men moving in to make a fast buck?

I hope this is stopped in its tracks. Monumentally tacky, but worst of all immensely disrespectful to the thousands of brave men on both sides who died in the battle.

- Steve
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's a big country, with plenty of wide open spaces. This could go somewhere else surely?

- Steve
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Any pretence at "respect" would fly straight out of the window the instant they broke the ground with a view to sticking a bloody great shopping mall and hotel there.

Closer to home, just look what they did to Land's End. I count myself fortunate that I'm old enough to remember it how it was before the funfair and burger joints set up shop there and it became "pay to enter".

- Steve
  8. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm inclined to agree Steve - put the thing 5 miles to the right and leave the battlefield as it is.
    Cheers
    Mat
  9. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Definitely not a good idea, and if you were going to put something in the vicinity it would be a museum/tourist office of some sort, not a shopping mall.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Mat Lambert and peedee like this.
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It could be done by recreating the King's Kraal at the correct location, with a Heritage centre and hotels etc, and run safaris to the sites like Ulundi and Isandwhlana from there too.

The chimp will be bouncing with rage about this I would think, along with Ian Knight and others, I imagine a lot of people are concerned.

Paul
    Mat Lambert and stoffy01 like this.
  11. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    :facepalm::arghh::cry: I just despair . Be interesting to know how many brown envelopes have been passed around:shifty:

Alan
    Mat Lambert and stoffy01 like this.