1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Iron Brigade - 19th Indiana - 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tiberius57, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Like it better than the youtube version you linked. I am not the greatest fan of the washed out paint style shown but there were lots of tips and it was generous of them to publish it..thanks for sharing Zeno!

Colin
    ChaosCossack and tiberius57 like this.
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Before I'm going for the pants, I started the groundwork. The reason is that the groundwork signature is strong on the pants and I would like to have the groundwork done before I try any weathering on the pants and the figure, in general.
    If you remember, before I do any painting work on the figure I try to create a 3D sketch to visualise the composition and details going into it.
    Here is the starting point.

[IMG]

To add to the composition and to brake the wooden base symmetry I cut a corner and build some ground work. How I'm looking to the composition, it helps with the vertical development and in the same time brakes the symmetry. It implies rough/uneven terrain better then the standard approach. My 2 cents but I think it adds to the general look.
    Here it is. Will wait to dry and then is painting time.
    Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Pretty gutsy cutting into a nice wood base Zeno but your groundwork is alway excellent and leading edge. Can't wait to see it with paint.

Colin
    ChaosCossack and tiberius57 like this.
  4. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin! I think it adds to the composition. Is like my guy is looking in a valley.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    It's ready to take the rest of the vegetation.
    Here it is painted:

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

I took few picture with the figure temporary on the base.
    What do you think?

[IMG][IMG]
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent basing... as usual Zeno. The dropped corner makes all the difference in the world.

Well done!!

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  7. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Very good work Zeno! I like very much your terrain works.
    Seeing this remembered me that I have a terrain to do also... so let's do it!

Regards
    Pedro
    tiberius57 likes this.
  8. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    very nice Zeno, what kind of putty you used?
    tiberius57 likes this.
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys for your kind words!
    Rodrigo, I used Apoxie Sculpt A+B.
    Cheers,
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    A step closer to completion. Did the pants, boots and the weathering. Few touch ups are required but now is very close to have it done.
    Here it is.
    Cheers,

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice blue on the pants Zeno. Did you use oils? and are they still wet? There's a bit of a gloss going on there.

Beyond that it looks damn good.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin!
    No oils, just acrylics.
    With the sheen is a whole saga. It turned out glossy even after I used X21 Flat Base from Tamiya. Same as the jacket. What you see is after 2 layers of matt varnish (Testors dull coat). Cut the glossy thingy only to became a satin finish. In a few days I'll try with another matt varnish.
    Cheers,
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I feel your pain brother.
    I have had the same problem with Vallejo blues, reds and grays. Of late I've been using Vallejo's Matt Medium and it seems to have solved the issue. Just a drop or two after I've mixed up a batch of colour and then apply the colour in three maybe four very watered down coats.
    tiberius57 likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Zeno....good luck. I have had similar gloss results with dull coat and have abadonned it. Moved to Tamiya and it has not let me down yet. Hope you get the finish you are seeking.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  15. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    After I referred that Liquitex, I also thought to recommend the Vallejo Model Air flat...again, thin coats, but it is also dead flat every time!
    tiberius57 likes this.
  16. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Almost lost heart with this guy and then I decided to finish him as a reminder of the whole saga. I can't get rid of the satin finish. It went so glossy that I was close to "launch him in space". After few days, I brought him back to a satin finish. From here on only striping the paint is the way and I'm not going to do it. Other projects are waiting.
    So, dear friends, here it is before completion.
    Cheers,

[IMG][IMG]
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Satin is fine Zeno. You were lucky to rein in a gloss fiasco to that finish. I never can. Once dull coat goes gloss for me its game over and oven cleaner time.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Fantastic Z
    No matter the finish... one can certainly see the level of work that went into this piece. I think with less direct photographic lighting... more ambient room lighting, the sheen might no be as noticable.

The whole thing, base included looks great... another winner

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  19. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys for your kind words! (y)
    I found the solution for a dead matt presentation... it will be a surprise... ;)
    Cheers,
  20. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada