1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Ioannis Makriyiannis - 200mm Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by phil_h, May 30, 2017.

1. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Ha! If both you and Oda like him, I know I'm on the right track! Thanks (y)
    anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  2. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks man... Good luck on your next set of jacket decorations now ;)!
    anstontyke and Wings5797 like this.
  3. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thank you very much Borek!
    anstontyke and Borek like this.
  4. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks for the kind words and info Wayne. To your point, I've noticed with almost all these busts, the box art has far, far more freehand on it than you would initially think. This current bust for example, if you look at the box art, I would say that well over 50% of the embroidery you see is actually completely drawn and freehanded. The only way I noticed was that when I took the bust out of the box, I noticed the jacket was missing quite a bit of it, and then upon closer inspection I realized what was going on. (You can see this if you compare my shots of the model to the box art.) On the one hand, Danilo Cartacci's skill at this kind of thing is just sheer awe inspiring and a phenomenal display of talent. On the other hand, for a painter like me, it creates a TON of extra (and sometimes tedious) work to do...
    Oda, anstontyke and Borek like this.
  5. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Hello everybody...

Just a quick update - I found some time to finish off the turban and his shirt. As Wayne mentioned earlier in this thread, none of the braiding is actually sculpted, so it needed to be all painted in. Good practice for the jacket which will be next...
    Hope you like him so far!

Regards,
    Phil

2017-06-06 20.50.18.jpg
    Oda, Borek, anstontyke and 1 other person like this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    [quote
    Hope you like him so far!
    [/quote]

I do!
    Good work on the headgear and jacket Phil, looking forward to the next installment.
    Oda, phil_h and anstontyke like this.
  7. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great work so far phil

tony
    Oda and phil_h like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Phil

Sorry late in on this one ..like the way this is going , the fleshtones work well ...and to be honest the freehand is something that you have to just go for and you are ..looking good ..hard to believe it's freehand ...did you build up the lace ?

I woukd provably highlight the blue lines on turban a bit more but yours looks good

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Oda, phil_h and anstontyke like this.
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    All looks very good Phil along with the braids. I was looking closely at the jacket on the above pic and on his left side, it looks like partially sculpted diagonal lines on the braids or am I seeing things.

Wayne
    phil_h and anstontyke like this.
  10. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    I do!
    Good work on the headgear and jacket Phil, looking forward to the next installment.[/quote]

Thank you very much Roger - it's nice to see you following along!
    billyturnip and anstontyke like this.
  11. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Buddy!
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Nap. The lace on the shirt are just smooth sculpted ridges, with no braiding or patterns sculpted in them (however, the diamonds on the bottom of the shirt are patterned)
    Your comments on the turban are spot on. In a fit of absent mindedness, I forgot to highlight them. This will be addressed soon!

Regards,
    Phil
    napoleonpeart and anstontyke like this.
  13. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Wayne. Yes you are seeing things - it's all smooth there - although I had to double check myself...
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. Oda A Fixture

This is turning out beautiful.Sterling work on the braiding,smooth transition between colours,naturally highlighted and shaded.An excellent work so far.

Oda.
  15. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thank you Oda. I'm in the middle of doing all the braiding on the jacket now and as predicted, it's very, very tedious work.(Not to mention the other braiding that will have to be entirely freehanded outside of the stuff that has been sculpted!)
    Wish me luck buddy! ;)
    Oda and anstontyke like this.
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Sorry Phil...I'm not seeing things;...it's on pic;..."You" are not seeing things...

Wayne
    anstontyke and phil_h like this.
  17. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

You're right, the pic that was posted does look like there is some texture there, but it is smooth. Here is another pic, taken from a different angle:

2017-06-07 19.56.43.jpg

Hopefully with this one you can see that there is no sculpted-on braid texture, it's just flat.
    Sorry! Certainly didn't mean to offend!

Regards,
    Phil
  18. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Of course, having just posted this, I found an even better picture that shows how the embroidery is sculpted - before I primed the model

20170522_182708.jpg

After looking at this, I think it's the priming that may be making it look like it's textured in the other pics...

Regards,
    Phil
    Borek, Oda and anstontyke like this.
  19. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Your close ups are impressive Phil....but I don't think you'd make a good salesman.....

Wayne
    Wings5797, phil_h and anstontyke like this.
  20. Oda A Fixture

You do not need luck Phil....you've got skill....

Oda.