1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

'In Memoriam' or 'In spiration'

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by peedee, May 12, 2015.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Any chance of figure painting this afternoon are right out the window, on a mission, the Serbian army of WWI.

[IMG]

[IMG]

A monument to Serbian army scout Dragutin Matić, known as Hawkeye, the most famous war scout in the history of the Serbian army.
    https://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Драгутин_Матић
    Dan Morton, tomifune and peedee like this.
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A message from Mark in Australia.
    "G'day Paul, I saw your post linking your war memorial thread of PF, but unfortunately I can't post there at the moment.
    I wanted to share some pics of the Shrine of Remembrance in Hyde Park Sydney.
    So here are some pics.....the sculpted figure lying upon the shield supported by mothers and wives is brilliant.
    and hello to my friends there.

Thank you Mark

Paul.

received_1580015588698783.jpeg received_1580015838698758.jpeg received_1580016132032062.jpeg received_1580014982032177.jpeg
    Henk, Richie, Nap and 2 others like this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Thanks Roger...so much info !

Paul.
    billyturnip likes this.
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    [IMG]

Here is the statue of Robert E. Lee in New Orleans

Bob
    peedee likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    My views on that Bob are probably best kept to myself but suffice to say, :mad:
    peedee and tomifune like this.
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tjatbw
    So sad.

But you made it funny Bob.

Paul
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In light of the anniversay of D-Day yesterday I wanted to post some pics of my visit 2 years ago.

I hope this reflects our sentiment for those who fell on the day of days.

Omaha Beach National US Cemetary
    Screenshot_2017-06-07-11-32-04-1.png Screenshot_2017-06-07-11-32-35-1.png Screenshot_2017-06-07-11-34-06-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-07-11-31-10-1.png

We will remember them....all of them.

Paul
    Screenshot_2016-08-21-14-07-59-1.png
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Here is another monument in my town. ... The most photographed monument by tourists ;) ...A piece of my story
    Represents shepherd Enrico Arnaud to guide the nearly one thousand Waldensian faithful returning from Switzerland to their lands

I would like to write the story, but as you know I have difficulty with the English. I refer you to the pages of Wikipedia even though I'm not very thorough ... however you can understand the story a bit.

At the statue belt you can see the Bible
    https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorioso_rimpatrio
    https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Arnaud

DSCF9723.JPG

At the next monument ...
    Giorgio

Attached Files:

Mat Lambert and billyturnip like this.
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jai that is a tremendous Picture.

What a model figure that would make.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Paul.
  11. jai A Fixture

Italy

Indeed I have already tried it. But it did not come very well. I try again ...
    peedee likes this.
  12. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Willam Ratcliffe VC. MM.

I had an email yesterday giving me a last minute notice of a memorial dedication today at 11am.
    it is 100 years today since the event and a hero who almost went forgotten.

Ratcliffe was 33 years old, and a private in the 2nd Battalion, the South Lancashire Regiment, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place during the Battle of Messines for which he was awarded the VC.

On 14 June 1917 at Messines, Belgium, after an enemy trench had been captured, Private Ratcliffe located an enemy machine-gun which was firing on his comrades from the rear, and single-handed, on his own initiative, immediately rushed the machine-gun position and bayoneted the crew. He then brought the gun back into action in the front line. Private Ratcliffe had displayed similar gallantry and resource on previous occasions.[2][3]

After the war he worked on the Liverpool Docks but had to retire after an industrial accident. 1956 saw the Centennial of the institution of the Victoria Cross in London's Hyde Park, where the living holders were reviewed by Queen Elizabeth II. William Ratcliffe was reluctant to attend the Centennial because his circumstances were such that he could not afford to buy a suit for the occasion. This was remedied however by a local gents outfitters, who made a new suit for him.[4] His VC is on loan to the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth Road, London.

A memorial stone is to be unveiled in the gardens of Liverpool Parish Church today in his honour.

We will remember them.

Paul

Addendum.
    I have just found his Photo. The Maxim gun he captured is on display at the Lancashire Infantry Museum in Fulwood, Preston
    also the site of a regimental Chapel built by
    JM Chard VC RE no less.!
    Screenshot_2017-06-14-11-59-16-1.png
    Dan Morton, red tom, tomifune and 4 others like this.
  13. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thank you for posting this , Paul, a story that few will know, but catches you in the throat when you read it........
    We will certainly remember them.

Alan
    peedee likes this.
  14. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Indeed Alan, I have just found notes for two others and shall post again tonight.

Paul.
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Update as promised.

This is Liverpool 'St.Nicks' church and grounds.

Also known as Liverpool parish church and the sailor's church.
    The deconsecrated graveyard is today a quiet garden oasis of calm next to the busy waterfront highway known as The Strand , next to the famous Liver buildings and less than 100 yards from the River Mersey, as you can see by the cruise liner MV Celebrity Eclipse visiting the city yesterday.
    This is also the location of monuments to
    The civilian dead of the WW2 bombings of the city.
    The lost and survivors of the Arctic convoys.
    The lost servicemen and civilian crew of the Atlantic Conveyor container ship sunk by Exocet missile in May 1982 in the Falkands conflict.

This is were the dedication took place yesterday of the memorial mentioned above.

Liverpool vc 001.jpg Liverpool vc 002.jpg Liverpool vc 003.jpg Liverpool vc 004.jpg Liverpool vc 005.jpg Liverpool vc 006.jpg
    Also alongside is the companion stone and information notice for Albert White VC of the South Wales Borderers who gave his life charging an mg post himself in May 1916 in the battle of Arras.

Liverpool vc 007.jpg Liverpool vc 009.jpg

Later this year a similar stone will be laid for Noel Chavasse VCBar MC in Liverpool, I shall post pictures when this happens.
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some memorial pieces are a bit more conspicuous than others or are they!
    Watton Trees.jpg

The memorial in this photo (although not all shown) are the trees, there are twenty four of them
    planted along Watton and represent the 24th Foot in Brecon.
  17. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Simple
    Effective
    Beautiful.

Hopefully timeless too. How long since they were planted Ritchie, any idea?

Thanks for posting this.

Paul.
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Paul,
    The regiment has been linked with Brecon since 1873, I'm not sure and happy to be corrected, but something in my head says the lime trees were planted along the Watton to celebrate Queen Victoria's 60th year of reign on the thrown, so 1897.
    cheers
    Richie
  19. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ritchie, they sure look great.

Paul.
  20. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Was at Guilford Courthouse Battlefield last Saturday and found this one which I had not seen before. It is to the North Carolina troops that fought in the battle.
    IMG_1120.JPG
    Buried right next to the small parking area was the commander of the North Carolina militia, Joseph Winston.
    IMG_1123.JPG
    mil-mart, jai and billyturnip like this.