1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

'In Memoriam' or 'In spiration'

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by peedee, May 12, 2015.

1. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Photos from a recent trip to Midland Michigan USA - the memorial is to all wars that USA have participated. It's not too figurative but I spent a good while reading all the names and places set into the paving - very thought provoking, and brought iconic battles like DDay and IwoJima into the perspective of a small American town.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Cheers
    Mat
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well done Mat, a great find.

Sincere thanks for sharing.

Paul
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Dan Morton, billyturnip and peedee like this.
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Super Steve.

I remember this well, at the time I thought of the resemblence between this brave young man, and the piano player in
    'Ain't half hot mum' Gunner Graham.

So many young men look older in WW2 pics, this chap does still have a youthful look at 25.

Thanks for posting.

Paul.
    Helm likes this.
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Paul,
    You have started and continues what may be the greatest online portfolio of some of the greatest sculpture of remembrance that most have never seen.( Don't get a big head; there may be others that I haven't seen yet.)
    Thanks to all,
    Wayne
    peedee likes this.
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Wayne, it's more humbling than anything buddy.
    The response we have had, exceeds anything I thought
    possible.
    I would like to see the New Zealand
    national memorial park on here.
    and I am going to search out within a few countries we
    haven't heard from yet.

All contributions welcome.
    thanks for your continued support.

Yours aye..... big'ead.
    Helm likes this.
  7. john crawford Active Member

8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    They are very imposing....thanks for posting that John, the memorial gardens remind me so much of Southport Merseyside, I must put that one on here too.

The Obelisk nearby, is a war memorial also: from Wikipedia....
    Screenshot_2017-05-21-04-48-16-1.png
    " The Egyptian Campaign Memorial of the Royal Sussex Regiment is located at the far northern tip of the northern enclosure of the Old Steine Gardens.
    The granite obelisk is set on a circular brick base and has three sections. The top section is of polished granite, and the middle section has granite plaques on each side. The plaques on the south, east, and west sides of the monument list the names of the deceased.The plaque on the north side of the obelisk has an inscription which dedicates the monument. It reads: "Erected By The Officers, N.C. Officers And Men 1st Bn "Royal Sussex" Regt. To The Memory Of Their Comrades Who Were Killed In Action Or Who Died Of Wounds Or Of Disease Contracted During The Egyptian Campaign 1882 And Nile River Expedition 1884–85." On the north face of the lower section, the base of the obelisk, the word "Egypt" is in raised letters. On the south face of the base, the word "Abu-klea" is in raised letters.

The Egyptian Campaign Memorial commemorates not only those involved in the Egyptian Campaign of 1882, but also the Nile Expedition of 1884 to 1885. In early 1884, British Major General Charles George Gordon (1833–1885) was sent by the British government to Khartoum, Sudan to evacuate the British and Egyptian forces, civilian employees, and families who were being threatened by Muslim Sudanese rebels. He arrived in February 1884. However, rebel activity increased, and other British forces were eventually withdrawn from Sudan by May 1884. General Gordon organised the defence of Khartoum, and the British public began to demand a relief expedition. However, the British government didn't decide to assist Gordon until August 1884. Some believe that the delay was due to the prime minister's anger at Gordon for apparently disobeying his orders, and not completing the evacuation In late August, a request was relayed to the governor-general of Canada that a detachment of Canadian voyageurs be organised and sent to Africa to participate in the mission. It wasn't until almost November that the Nile Expedition, the British and Canadian relief force, was ready. The expedition was attacked by Sudanese rebels at Abu-Klea; the Battle of Abu-klea was fought on 17 January 1885. When the expedition arrived in Khartoum on 28 January 1885, the city had already fallen two days previously and General Gordon had been killed.

The monument was erected by the officers and men of the First Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment in 1888. The Egyptian Campaign Memorial was protected as a Grade II listed structure on 20 August 1971.
    Helm likes this.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    He does have that look about him, I must try and find more out about him. Clearly of fairly wealthy background but a private.
    peedee likes this.
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Here's his CWGC entry Steve.
    peedee and Helm like this.
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    peedee likes this.
  12. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The Anzac memorial Southport Queensland Australia.
    Screenshot_2017-05-21-04-55-04-1.png

Regards

Paul.
    Helm likes this.
  13. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Some monuments of my little country

Monument dedicated to the fallen Alpine War in the First World War .
    From Pellice Tower, 900 boys left ... and about 600 returned.
    The city had about 4,500 inhabitants

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  14. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Monument dedicated to fallen in the lager

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  15. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Monument dedicated to the Parthians of the Second World War. Torre Pellice was an important political center where a clandestine newspaper was printed distributed in much of northern Italy.

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  16. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Public garden dedicated to the martyrs of the White Rose small German anti-Nazi group

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  17. jai A Fixture

Italy
    In the same garden there is a memorial to remember the last clash between partisans and Germans fleeing and there is a big paper illustrating the places of resistance in the valley

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey Jai, thanks for taking the time to show us these.

Many would never see or hear of them.
    thanks for sharing.

Paul
    billyturnip likes this.
  19. vincenzo Well-Known Member

Italy
    Another little contribution from Italy.

Sacrario of Redipuglia, near Gorizia
    20150307_183017.jpg 20150307_174322.jpg 20150307_175441.jpg
    from the top of the monumenti.
    graves at the base are Duca di Aosta, commander of 3th army on Isonzo front and 6 general of the same army
    20150307_175549.jpg 20150307_180634.jpg

Chapel of the 4th alpini regiment, at the base of Mrzli Vrh mountain, near between Tolmino and Caporetto, today in Slovenia

WP_20150308_013.jpg 20150308_103302.jpg 20150308_103442.jpg

Various commemorative banners from monte San Michele, austroungarian baluard before the taken of Gorizia, on 1916 august

20150307_115347.jpg IMG-20150321-WA0015.jpg IMG-20150321-WA0016.jpg
    tomifune and billyturnip like this.
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was hoping to see this.
    I believe the anniversary of the war against Austria
    was a week or two ago?

Thank you VERY much for sharing.
    any historical statues from your region would also be very welcome.