1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Identification of french regiment???

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Borek, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Hi guys.

I have a plea, I need help with identification of the regiment. The picture should be a scene from the Battle of Malplaquet. Displays First foot guards in attacking French soldiers. Does anyone know what particular French Regiment is? Thanks so much for any answers :)

First Foot Guards at the Battle of Malplaquet 11th September 1709 War of the Spanish Succession.jpg

Painting : First Foot Guards at the Battle of Malplaquet 11th September 1709 War of the Spanish Succession Author : Richard Simkin (probably)

Cheers Borek

Cheers Borek
  2. jai A Fixture

Italy
    I can venture with the Régiment de Languedoc but also the blue collar. here, however, absent. other regiments had the same colors as the Royal-Roussillon, or the Bearn Regiment

I have to look for the battle order
    Borek likes this.
  3. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic

Thanks so much Jai. If you could get some information, I would be grateful. Of course, I'm looking for a parallel. I managed to find Order of battle on one forum:
    ( http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightingtalk/viewtopic.php?p=5907 )

This battle was attended by the following French regiments (according to this information):

Garde Francais (6 bns)
    Garde Swiss (4 bns ?)
    Regiment de Champagne
    Regiment de Roi
    Regiment de Charost
    Regiment de Brittany
    Regiment de Tourville
    Regiment de Perche

The only regiment I managed to trace (which would match the picture, including the missing blue collar) is the Poitou Regiment (although I only managed to find uniforms from 1726).
    ¨
    c280975221093e16d3352fcd93462785.jpg

Color would match it, but in the Orders of Battle this regiment is not. So I do not know ...
  4. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Unfortunately I have not found anything yet.

That was a time when the names of the regiments and the colors of their uniforms changed very quickly.

I think it may be régiment de Charost , but I'm not sure.

in 1712 it will take the name of régiment de Saillant with colors like the table, but I'm not sure if it had those colors before ; in fact in 1732 will change the name again in 1734 yet another and will not have distinctive colors, then in 1749 the colors will be red and another name .... and before calling Charost he had another four different names.

I can also assume that the design author did not use the correct colors.

I still try to look
    Borek likes this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I have looked everywere and the info it's very scarce.
    The problem with this illustrations is that they may not be accurate, i found bunch of them from the American war of independence and all the uniform features and colors are wrong, very inaccurate.
    I was researching 2 books i have plus online, Marborough's army and Louis XIV army, they all metion Malplaquet but no reference on the regiments involved.
    I red some other sources and for sure they mention:
    PIEDMONT
    ROYAL-ROUSILLON
    DU ROI
    CHAMPAGNE
    and of couse the irish and swiss regiments who foght bravely on the French side , but their coats were red and in some cases white with green for the irish.
    So, my bedt bet is that the 1st fokt guards faced the Royal-Rousillon or Du Roi.

fa9166e96dde50d58cad7d5caf84fb75--french-empire-evolution.jpg soldats.jpg
    Borek likes this.
  6. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Thank you guys for your time and effort. I will try to search, anyway thanks for your direction. Have a nice days

Cheers Borek
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I was reading some books today and based on what i red, the 1st foor guards could have well engaged the regiment Royal-Rousillom, so, that picture showimg that regiment in white coats and royal blue cuffs matches what ihave.
    Screenshot_20171012-225746.png
    napoleonpeart and Borek like this.
  8. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    The painting is reputed to be Richard Simkins' The First Foot Guards at Malplaquet. I cannot find any definitive source mentioning the 1st Foot Guards and their French opponents at Malplaquet, but it seems they formed a composite battalion with the 2nd (Coldstream) Foot Guards, and from the sources below it may be possible to discern who they fought against in the painting.

According to Origins and Services of the Coldstream Guards, Volume 1, a composite battalion of the 1st Foot Guards and 2nd (Coldstream) Foot Guards (4 companies) was sent to Flanders in May 1708. The same source records that at Malplaquet the 1st and Coldstream Guards were on the right of the centre of the first line. Maps from another source show this as Orkney's brigade. An Order of Battle for Malplaquet gives the 1st Foot Guards as 16 companies, and the 2nd Foot Guards as six companies.

Stephen Webb (Marlborough's America) recounts that Orkney sent a Guards battalion, sixteen companies of the First Guards and six companies of the Coldstream into the Bois de Sars.

James Falkner (Great and Glorious Days: Marlborough's Battles, 1704-1709) writes Orkney sent two battalions, which included the 2nd Foot Guards, to bolster the attack of Lottum's brigade on the Bois de Sars triangle against breastworks held by the Royal La Marine and La Sarre regiments. Having scrambled over the barricades the attackers then pushed on to the French second line grappling with the La Reine and La Roi regiments, and encountered the Bearn Regiment coming up in support.

Comparing the officer in the painting with the pictures in the above posts, and Funcken The Lace Wars, it would seem the painting shows the Guards against the Regiment du Roi. The coat itself would have been a light grey for this period, rather than white. (Funcken The Lace Wars Part 1 p53)

Hopefully this helps.

Chris

Regiment du Roi.jpg
    Borek likes this.
  9. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Thanks for the supplementing of information Daniel, I appreciate it very much :)

Hi Chris. Thank you so much for detailed search and analyze of information. These guides will be very valuable in further investigations.

The contractor is somewhat concerned about the lack of information about this battle. It will take some time to collect materials and search for other aspects that confirm one of the options. However, time will be enough; at present, a project from a later period (about half of the 18th century) is being prepared. I can not reveal anymore.

Thank you very much for your contribution, helped me greatly, and I believe it will help in my further work in finding the bases for this battle.

Thanks so much guys :)

Cheers Borek