1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book "I have a cunning plan" ...from Elan13

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all,

Now I do like to have fun when I am modelling and what better way than seeing the release from Élan 13 of what "could" be a character from a well known and much loved comedy series ....the series is of course Blackadder and in this commemorative year what a great tribute to the men who must I am sure have enjoyed a laugh and would have approved of this series if TV was around!

The actor Tony Robinson was born on 15 August 1946 in Homerton , he was too young to go to RADA so studied at the Central school of speech and drama after which he appeared in various theatre productions most notably at the Leeds playhouse.

The main Blackadder years ran from 1983-89 playing the loveable dogsbody his most famous catchphrase was of course "I have a cunning plan". A4.jpeg
    a.jpg aaaaaa.jpg a1.jpg
    After this he various TV series including TimeTeam and other historical subjects like The worst jobs in history., to celebrate the millennium a one off production of Blackadder was done called Blackadder back and forth..

He was knighted in the 2023 birthday honours for public and political service , he has various doctorates from university's including Oxford Brooke's and Exeter.

Played by Tony Robinson who is not only a comedy actor but also a presenter and serious actor as well starring in the most moving series which was of course Blackadder goes Forth ..in which he stars alongside Rowan Atkinson as Capt Edmund Blackadder ably assisted by our hero)and well known culinary expert (who can forget his recipe delights and of course his impression of Charlie Chsplin with a slug as a moustache ...brilliant)....I refer of course to Baldrick his role as Blackadders batman/chef/slug balancer was amazing .

A2.jpg aaa.jpg aaaaa.jpg aaaa.jpg A3.jpg
    A very talented man who displayed a brilliant talent for playing the dogsbody Baldrick ...and that is what we are looking at in this review from Élan 13 but of course any similarity is purely a coincidence!!!!

image.jpg

Continued in next post:

Nap
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for the review Nap. Can't wait for my bust to arrive.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets look at the model now:

Details are :

Title: "I have a cunning plan"

Reference: EL 28

Scale: 1/12th

No of pieces: 4

Material: Resin

Sculptor: Rob Lane

Box Art: Now done by Edward Sage

We are treated to a very strong plastic box (useful for storing stuff after you have done the model!!!) with the model consisting of 2 pieces or should that be 4 as we have the main sculpt (full torso) and 2 sets of glasses plus some wire for the glasses sides.
    Baldrick 001.jpg
    The main piece was in a bag and well wrapped in bubblewrap with the glasses and wire being held safely in a resealable plastic bag.

Prep for me consisted of removing the casting plugs from the glasses although Rob tells me they will all have this done in the production releases, a slight sanding of a remanant of casting underneath and away you go .
    Baldrick 002.jpg
    There was no box art on the review piece but this has since been done(more later)

Looking first at the main piece first:

Even in unprimed resin this has me laughing all the way the likeness achieved by Rob is amazing , the character of the subject flows in torrents out of it ........I have spent many an hour watching the series purely in the name of research of course and loved every second.
    Baldrick 003.jpg Baldrick 004.jpg Baldrick 005.jpg Baldrick 006.jpg
    The piece is wearing the WW1 uniform as in the series , not exactly the RSM.s dream soldier for sure , dishevelled and scruffy and I have no doubt smelly ...I love it the character has come alive in resin .

The cap is torn and well used (no doubt to hold the latest pet slug!!!) sitting back on the head a little all in keeping , even though this is a TV character Rob has done his research and the cap is spot on the peak in particular very good , well detailed with good undercuts , we have a cap badge well sculpted again as we see on TV.
    Baldrick 007.jpg
    Our hero wears the leather jerkin over which we see the 1908 webbing pouches and a later respirator bag on his chest at his neck we have a scarf , across his chest there is a bandolier.
    Baldrick 008.jpg Baldrick 009.jpg
    I have mentioned the cap lets look at the face ...one word will suffice EXCELLENT , the likeness is achieved in every respect from the nose to the eyes all spot on , details are well formed ...even without the glasses we know him instantly ...TOP JOB Rob.

The scarf is wrapped around his neck and peeking out from underneath the bandolier as we see in the pictures in the previous post with a nice bit of fine texture .....you will I have no doubt lots of fun painting the pattern.
    Baldrick 007.jpg Baldrick 012.jpg
    Webbing straps are sharp and well cast , nice work on the buckles.

The bandolier is another real quality area to enjoy .lots of great sculpting on all the poUches on it (a total of 6).

The gasmask bag is hanging under the bandolier and low , nice surface work it looks like it has something in it .
    Baldrick 010.jpg
    The pouches on the webbing are a total of 4 each side of the chest bag , everyone is a lovely bit of work .
    Baldrick 011.jpg
    On now to the glasses:

There was 2 in the bag ...just in case..nice idea , these fit onto the nose and using the wire provided make the side pieces ......they can be put over the ears or under the cap , both "style" are seen in the series!!!!

The lens will be something that should not put anyone of you could of course cut clear discs and fit but IMO too fiddly so I recommend using Kristal Klear , a milky fluid which forms over the surface filling it and drys totally clear.

Final Thoughts:

This has I have no doubt been a sculpting challenge to Rob and boy has he achieved the aim , its great , so full of character and spot on in all details , easy and minimal prep , lots of different challenges to look at (glasses) and of course you have the different materials from the webbing to the leather jerkin to the wondeful battered and well worn cap (lice optional!!!) .

The model is well presented, great casting and will I have no doubt be very popular , I do so hope we see more sculpts like this perhaps some of the other characters from the series.

Get this you will have hours of fun "researching" and painting ...lots of grime and dirt and well worn equipment.

Rob will be at Euro alongside MDP (who carry his range also) so get yourself along to his stand.

If you can't make Euro it is on the website

For more details of this and others from Elan 13 go to the website at :

www.elan13.co.uk

Thanks for looking in ..enjoy the model

Nap
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi folks

These are pictures of the original model taken by Andrew Janowski at the recent Avon show ..thanks to him

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

As I said no actual box art was available but here it is painted by a very talented painter Edward Sage

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks to everyone

ENJOY

Nap
  5. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice review as always Nap, so good I ordered one :facepalm:
    Mark D ;)
    elanlane13 and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

Great review of a great looking bust.BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM.(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Great review Kev (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  8. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A great review Kev . Saw this at Figure World , great subject and an excellent likeness. One of Rob's best to date.(y)

Cheers Ken
    elanlane13 likes this.
  9. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    A word of caution, I remember that several years ago someone produced a brilliant series of figures based on a well known TV series, and the broadcaster not only got very touchy about said figures but made the makers stop producing them:(. In view of this previous situation, I just want to say that IMHO this bust looks absolutely nothing like any alleged actor that has ever appeared in any alleged television series from the beginning of time up to the present dayo_O:sneaky:.
    Having said that, lovely sculpting on a totally anonymous bust from an unknown sector of trench that might or might not be in the middle of World War 1. And I don't know what it is about that scarf' but Edward's done a beautiful job of painting it.
    Best wishes, well I'm alleging that I'm me but I might not be!
  10. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Great review of an obscure WW1 subject!
    Wings5797 and garyhiggins like this.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Superb!

All the best,

Dan
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A great sculpt and paint topped off with a great review Kevin.
    Thanks to all involved superb work Guys.

Keith
    Edward likes this.