1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How to depict realistic horse hair?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by rossbach, Mar 17, 2015.

1. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hello all,

I am starting a figure on horseback. I was wondering how horse hair could be depicted in a realistic way with paint (oils) or otherwise?

I recall having seen horses in a large scale which seem to have every hair painted individually. This seems rather time consuming.

On a French website ("3 Pieds Nickéles de la Figurine") I found 3 pictures that I have enclosed. It look to me as if veins and hair is simulated by using white glue.

Does someone have experience with this and could he please explain how this is done?

Thanks,

Rossbach

romain10.jpg romain11.jpg romain12.jpg
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I would use a tooth brush but I have never done it.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I hope Daniel Ipperti signs in. He did the work on the horse.

Marc
    crf likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Is it white glue or perhaps some kind of liquid resin?
    Wings5797 and crf like this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    If its white glue you would gave a tiny window of time between liquid and set up so you would have to do small areas....doesn't seem to be the case here.

Colin
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  7. trooper Member

United-States
    The artist may be using gesso, which is a primer. I have used on large scale horses in painting as well as casting masters. It works very well adheres to other primers and is painted over easily.
    crf likes this.
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ok Carl can you translate what he used for the hair effect as my french is pish
  9. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Not sure if there's much in the text to explain what was used and the technique applied.
    Gesso seems a good call, the stuff the missus uses for raised calligraphy can be applied by pen but you'd be constantly cleaning the nib.
    Perhaps it is a slightly thickened white glue that's been applied to small areas and combed through as it dries.........
    ,,,, come on Daniel the world needs to know :D
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Je n'ai pas compris.
    Wings5797, Steve and Paul Kernan like this.
  11. CBDesign Active Member

Germany
    What a nice result..very intersting topic..
    Have fun,
    Chris
  12. P GREEN Active Member

Canada
    This is done by my favorite painter
    I Have translated it out , the instructios where on his actual sight a couple years back. He is using a medium body acyrilic sculpting medium and using a brush puts down a thin line or build up as it does have a body it will have some height. Then with a brush with Humborol thinner (probably most white spirit based ) reshapes the vein one at a time. I have tried it,very time consuming. As for the hair I be is the same medium the sample shown here is a 75 mm pegaso horse and the horse is a bit bushy in the hair. The Artist is Daniel Iperti ( probably misspelled) his 54 mm horses are incrediable he is an oil painter the strokes are according to the grain of the hair on the horse itself, you can also a Dorlands wax medium to the paint to give it alittle more body than standard oil. Will leave a slight sheen on the horse can also hit it with a thin caot of gloss or semi gloss varnish and depending how you manipulate your brush you may get grain with that as well.

Paul
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. CBDesign Active Member

Germany
    Dear Paul,
    sorry I could not understand what is he doing with the brush and the Humborol thinner (probably most white spirit based )?
    Happy painting,
    Chris
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Je ne comprends pas;)
    marc
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    OK i give in ! what does it mean:eek:
    DEL likes this.
  16. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You think so:D
  18. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Fortunately I can read French. Daniel Ipperti's description (on the website mentioned above) does not contain any reference to either the material used or the technique he uses to get this (in my opinion) very realistic 'hairy' effect.

Because of that and the fact that he did not reply to my post on the 3 Pied site I thought to start a thread here to see if someone can help out.

Rossbach
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well some of us share and others don't :D
  20. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Let's give Daniel time to get on Planet figure. He may be on vacation. He seems to be a very nice person, and hopefully will see this thread and tell us all how to make realistic hair on large scale horses.