1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How different is different...?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by valiant, May 12, 2017.

1. swralph A Fixture

I fully understand where you're coming from Steve.
    Now I don't mean for this to sound harsh but this is what I think.
    I don't care what I paint,just so long as I have kits to paint:).
    For me, any era, anytime, anywhere,any army,any country,fantasy,big,small, medium,busts,120mm,90mm,80mm,75mm,54mm.
    The only thing I won't paint is overtly sexualized female figures.
    So no real help from me then! :D.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    From now on you shall be called.....
    Martini !

Paul Cinzano
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Ralph - I also have a pretty eclectic collection, although my main interest is Victorian.

I dont think that there is any answer really, its great to read the opinions and thoughts.

Thanks for all contributions, so far(y)
    napoleonpeart, peedee and swralph like this.
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Periods and subjects aside, you very seldom see figures depicted in dynamic action poses, or sitting down, which is something people do quite a lot - but not in miniature; I think they deserve a well earned rest. Also quite rare are figures with their hands in their pockets, something else people do all the time.

Maybe action poses are particularly difficult to capture well? I'd love to hear a sculptor's view on this.
    valiant and peedee like this.
  5. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is a great thread as as well!
    napoleonpeart, peedee and valiant like this.
  6. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    For me this one is different - Austrian 8th Jager 1866 from Paul's In memoriam or in spiration thread. I wonder what Moz or Carl could do with it?

Austrain Jager 1966.jpg
  7. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's funny you mention action poses. In fantasy/sci-fi it's pretty much the opposite. Constantly action poses and very few relaxed stuff.

I can see what you mean though. Much of the historical sculpts seem to be quite standard poses.

Different for me can be vary varied. From BrokenToads 'Tooth Fairy' bust to Latorres 'Northumbrian'. I'm more drawn to a sculpt that tickles my fancy and grabs my attention.
    napoleonpeart and Blind Pew like this.
  8. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think different and I mean different is rare in the hobby and in both genres of the hobby.

In the military/historical side of the hobby nothing is really different, it is just done a different way. When your dealing with facts and history it is not so easy to deviate and produce something different. You can choose obscure subjects, little known events or regiments , but on the whole these will tick the different box, they generally don't tick the wow box. Then there's scale ,,,love this wish it was,,,bigger,,,smaller. Not so easy !!!!

We all like our historical periods,,we have probably all coned them down to whatever it is that ticks our box's. We see the same subjects because of this,,we also see the same armies and regiments also. Maybe manufacturers will shock you,,some are trying so why not support them and they may just carry on !! It ultimately depends on sales esp if you are a business and not just a hobby sculptor pulling in a few sales via paypal me etc etc. Businesses need feeding and generally before the person running it !!!

Fantasy allows endless possibilities and then their is your own imagination, so why so many orcs,,,goblins,,,elves, fortunately here at least people don't seam bored with the same ideas albeit done differently. They also seam open to everything.

Different is I think what you want it to be. If it ticks your box and you want it, its different. With so many manufacturers this should be keeping you all bizzy !!! and giving you a problem,,,whats different enough to make me want it !!

A manufacturers job is to hit the sweet spot, its not easy !!!

Due to the increased competitiveness it is also a dangerous market. Ideas copied,used by others that are faster to expose a market share, how many times do we see this recently. What was different is now humdrum .

I would love to use all those lovely ideas !!!! but so would others and if they are faster you have simply wasted your time and money. Recently in a conversation with ian at ellies this very thing happened,,,i showed ian his idea already sculpted. This was by chance but I think we were both very thankfull.

If you like military miniatures at present you shouldn't be bored ,,,there is so much available , if you are then there is a problem.

Different is one mould, produced because a manufacturer wants to,,,if it takes off they can run with it, done it a couple of times,,,

Great question steve

Stuart
  9. mick3272 A Fixture

Well put Stu that deserves two likes.
    Mick
    peedee and valiant like this.
  10. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like and appreciate what Castle are doing with depicting dogs with their owners...
    red tom, Helm and peedee like this.
  11. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris just to say the Dance of death has been given the go ahead so it will be released very soon (that's just to clear that up I have sent you a PM)

as to different subjects it's always a question of will it sell? as thier is quite an investment in a master and production. I know that if you have the skills to convert/sculpt then do it as it might be the only way that it's going to get done.

We have taken a couple of chances with releases which have worked out ok in the long run. Companies will always try and stick with the tried and tested. we decided to crowed fund the Dance of Dearth to see if it could be done and pleased to say it has and it will be produced. but that was the only way that this project was going to get done. maybe if you want to see something different then that's the way to go. if enough people are prepared to invest in the project then it will get done.

the problem with poles is that people say they want to see a certain thing then the company invests in it only for it to bomb. it does happen, then in turn the company will go back to the tried and tested range. then we are back to the start why do companies not bring anything different out.

This is just my thoughts on it. i'm sure companies will dip the toe in the water with different things from time to time, but you will still have the usual subject as they are the one's that make the money.

cheers

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  12. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Having been a modeller/painter since childhood I have, like Im sure you all have, to an extent, seen genres come and go, periods move in and out of fashion, styles of painting come and go and the overall quality of sculpting has improved immeasurably, in all aspects. It is a "golden era" with regard to the wealth of items out there available for us to use.

However, as Ian says, ".... companies will dip the toe in the water with different things from time to time, but you will still have the usuel subject as they are the one's that make the money.."

I think this is really the answer to the question!! Thanks again for some interesting points, chaps. I fully understand that larger companies will only produce items that are considered good sellers, due to costs and overheads and that some subjects will only ever have limited appeal to certain people's tastes - such is the nature of these things!(y)
    Chrisr, stu, ellie and 1 other person like this.
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    How many different people are in the world...How many different expressions might they have....How many different ways might they look....and on and on and on.....The bottom line is creativity in every aspect.
    But sadly;...I don't think there is much out there that's really different; just subtle changes here and there. I think the best we can hope for is really good quality...................Wow..! You should hear me I'm really depressed....sorry....

Wayne
  14. Rob Truscott New Member

15. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Maybe action poses are particularly difficult to capture well? I'd love to hear a sculptor's view on this.

From a personal point of view, I feel that there is little to differentiate the work involved in sculpting an action pose or a more relaxed pose. The issue with action poses is that there are generally more parts needed to mould them and the engineering of the figure needs to be carefully thought out, so that seams dont appear of visible surfaces and that the fit of parts is such that if one bit isnt right, it will have a huge impact on the fit of others. The level of mouldmaking required is much more skillful and this, coupled with more complex casting problems and time taken, probably will have an impact on the final cost of the figure, in comparison to a more simple pose.(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    H Guys

A really interesting thread with good points raised by all ....as said manufacturers need to survive so will produce something that's sells

I have recently received the Greek bust from Steve it's a good sculpt and the casting is as good ...so folk are certainly missing out if they don't get a copy

Happy painting everyone

Nap
    valiant likes this.