1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Hockey Goalie

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, May 21, 2013.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've taken a break from my other projects to work on a figure that will be a surprise gift for my fiancee. She's a big hockey fan and in the past has asked me to do a hockey player. I didn't know of any aside from cheap plastic toys so I said I'm sorry but I can't. Then, a few months ago, I randomly found this figure from Ulrich Puchala Miniatures (never heard of the company before). Not only was it a hockey player, but a goalie! So I'm able to paint it up as her favorite player.

I'm painting this guy as a San Jose Sharks player (Irbe) from the mid 90's, so the logo and other designs aren't supposed to match their current look. I thought doing a sports player would be easy, but with changing uniforms and individual player's equipment this has taken a surprising amount of research to get right. Even the shape of the crease has changed over the years so I had to make sure I used the right one for the base.

Here's what I've done so far
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    The shirt is almost finished and I'm working on the helmet. As you can see, a lot of freehand work has gone onto the shirt... but unfortunately it doesn't end there. Logos and writing will need to be added to the gloves, pads, and stick.

Here's a close up of the team logo. Since this picture was taken I've added a turquoise line along the inside of the triangle. Then another white and then a black line all along the outside to finish it up.
    [IMG]

The figure is 75mm so the design work hasn't been quite as hard as it would be on a 54. Everything is painted in acrylics.
  2. Russ5281 Member

United-States
    Excellent work! Personally, I would have picked a different team - Go Wings! Still, superb paint job.

Russ
  3. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great! Only critiques I would have is that Irbe wore the old style Jofa helmet/birdcage til the end. As far as I know he never switched over to the current style 2piece mask. Also his equipment is such as we would see today, box style pads and cool graphics as opposed to his old style Koho's that he wore. If you changed his # and name to Niemi you would be right on as far as accuracy. If that is not too important to you then it is cool the way it stands right now. As a goalie myself I love it!
  4. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Russ and dancap. Russ, Meredith and I have an understanding... I get to choose the baseball team we root for and she gets to pick the hockey team. So sorry, you're stuck with watching me paint a Sharks player.

Yeah, I was aware the helmet and pad shapes aren't correct. Unfortunately resculpting them is beyond my abilities. So I figured I'd just go with the correct markings and hope it was good enough. If I was really smart I would have hired somebody to fix the sculpt... but since I need it finished by next month that's not gonna happen. Hopefully she won't mind.

By the way, I did think about doing Niemi. But, considering how frustrated my fiancee gets with the Sharks right around playoff time... I thought it was best to stay away from the current team.
  5. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Nice work! If you had painted him as a Flames goalie, you would have had to add a puck sliding between his legs into the net! :happy:
    tomifune likes this.
  6. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    arturs irbe.JPG the logo may be a little too small. Here is a picture I have of Arturs
  7. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Maybe you could just paint some red shades on his back to reflect the bright red light that is often flashing. But then again, the glass house I live in here in Oilers country does not really facilitate the throwing of stones, does it.
  8. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Such an excellent pose and nice paintjob. Only remark is that he is not wearing the Swedish hockeyteams colours.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Ah, but what fun is following sports if you can't trash talk other people's teams?

The kit does come with a puck (and the stick)... though despite some other great ideas, I think I'll put it going into his glove. ;)
  10. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    this is very cool, looks so real
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome fig!!!
    Should have painted him in Flyer colours...:stop: No wait, they havent had a goalie all year :cry: Or you could paint the best uniform in the NHL... Chicago Blackhawks, red sweater!

Seriously though, great figure, even painted in Shark colours. Tell your wife they won't make it past the Kings :p

Colin
    phc35 likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    As I typed the last line of the above post... The Sharks scored... Damn!
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  13. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Ha, that will teach you to gloat too early! Unfortunately there are 2 whole periods left and this series has taught us the sharks only need about 30 seconds to go from winning to losing.

Thanks by the way. Glad you guys like the figure
    Mike Stevens and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. kellerkind Well-Known Member

Germany
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    perfect work.

Marc
  16. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  17. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice work, I know nothing of Ice Hockey but the figure looks great and your painting of the logos etc is excellent. Its actually harder to paint bright colours such as this than our usual muted military colours so I have to congratulate you on that
    Ben
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    It could be worse - she could be a Leafs fan.....say no more about monumental collapses.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    really fantastic work so far sir. Does this company make any baseball players?
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Mine is a Leafs fan (to the point of insanity)... If she read this, there wouldn't be a hole deep enough to hide in :LOL: We're still walking on eggshells in this house :nailbiting:
    crf likes this.