1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Historex Spare Parts Madness

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by stevee317, Feb 5, 2016.

1. stevee317 Member

United-States
    Watching the progress of peede's project to keep me inspired. All heads are from Historex . Using a mixture of Green Stuff and Magic Sculpt for hair and moustaches. First photo The General, next Aid de Camp, Junior Officer , and working on the Standard bearer. As they get completed I will add the horse hair to the helmets the same way but I have to see which way the wind blows. literally:LOL:

Attached Files:

2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb steeeeeeveeeey

Love it.

I particularly like the fight with the reptile in the last photo.
    Good that :D

Paul.
    chailey likes this.
  3. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great to see Historex bits being used again. Historex figures are what first drew me to the hobby over 40 years ago and I still rate them.

Jeff
    OldTaff and peedee like this.
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Considering the age of the original steel moulds back in the 60's.
    Add in the fact that they where hand engraved in reverse, It's an amazing feat in getting things so right, that they are still as good as anything as a base for converting or even adding to another figure.
    it may be the only reason so many of us still love making figures this scale with so much wonderful competition available in bigger sizes.

Paul.
    OldTaff, pgarri27 and Tonton like this.
  5. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Good start. Are you using the after market Historex heads?
    peedee likes this.
  6. stevee317 Member

United-States
    Actually, all the heads are Historex , from the "expressions"packets that were out some time ago. I don't use Historex heads all the time, but these all had the look I wanted.
    peedee likes this.
  7. stevee317 Member

United-States
    Whoops! Check that last statement, I forgot the trumpeters face is a Hornet head My Bad.

Attached Files:

pgarri27 and peedee like this.
  8. stevee317 Member

United-States
    peedee, I cant remember when or where, But I do remember seeing an article with photos that showed the engraving of Historex moulds, and like you said it highlighted the fact that all them had to be done in reverse for the injection mould process.
  9. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steeeeeeeeveeeeeee......for that is how shall ye be known by meeeeeee :)D sorry mate, I actually slipped on the keyboard Nd it looked good).
    You may very well be remembering a feature in Military Modelling magazine a few years ago.
    I kinda remember the same.

Paul.
  10. stevee317 Member

United-States
    Ahh Ha!, That's where I saw it! Good memory. If I remember the article, it praised the work of the engraver.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oui d'accord, vraiment mon brave.

Salut .......Vive.

Paul.
  12. RVM.Historex.2016 New Member

United-States
    Question: I just bought two sets of the 54mm Hornet heads for my Historex work. They turn out to be a bit smaller than the current series of Historex resin heads and vastly smaller than the original heads.

How are you making them work for you?
  13. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    There are ranges of 1/35th AND 1/32nd scale heads in Hornet's range. Some of the Historex newer ranges are useful.
  14. RVM.Historex.2016 New Member

United-States

Perhaps I was unclear.

The Hornet heads I purchased are labeled 54mm. They are too small for use with Historex and are much smaller than even the new Historex resin heads (some of which are too small for use).
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    They are smaller because everyone forgetd Historex is 1/30 th scale, not 1/32 (54mm).
    So build the head gear and build up the hair at the sides with putty which leaves a space at the rear.
    Once the putty is cured, build up the hair at the back and enjoy.
    paul.
    OldTaff likes this.
  16. stevee317 Member

United-States
    peedee is correct just build up the hair, besides anyone who has been a soldier knows the one size fits all helmet just aint so. On some it looks like skullcap on another smaller headed dude it looks like an umbrella. So therefore you get a better diverse effect in a group, small but noticeable.
    OldTaff likes this.