1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Highlander (Kirin 120mm)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by arj, Oct 12, 2016.

1. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Folks,
    At the end of my sbs on the Ribald Dragoon, I intimated that my next project might be the Kirin Highlander.
    Kirin Highlander.jpg
    I bought this item in 1999 when I was working in Hong Kong. In fact I bought a whole load of Kirin items (all originals) because they were going at temptingly reduced prices. Since then, I've slowly worked my way through all bar this Highlander and the mounted Turkish Standard-bearer (at Vienna).
    I had already made a start on this one by pinning various parts, and had even made a start on painting the kilt. However, I was never happy with it and it's been lying in its box for well over ten tears.
    Well. it's now had its Dettol bath and most of the old paint has gone, and it even smells nice. So it was on to the next stage of trying to get it all to fit.

I did have one small pin in the upper section to attach to the base, but decided that this would prove insufficient.
    A second pin through the upper thigh did the trick, but remained visible, since the general fit of the body to the base is not perfect. In addition, the location of the right foot had it hanging in mid air, while the left was only just in contact with the ground. A possible explanation might be that I did not attach it correctly. However, the connections on this figure are so perfectly designed, I think I can rule out that possibility. Therefore, out with the Magic Sculp, followed by a bit of dabbing with coarse sandpaper to match the existing ground texture.
    IMG_1841r.jpg IMG_1840r.jpg IMG_1843r.jpg IMG_1845r.jpg
    With that sorted, I decided to have a look at the fit of the scabbard against the base. That proved to be decidedly tight.
    A suitable groove was cut to make it sit neatly. I know that scabbards were flexible when empty, but it just wouldn't have looked right to me.
    IMG_1846r.jpg IMG_1847r.jpg IMG_1848r.jpg
    With the bulk of the preparatory work completed I had a trial fitting of all the parts to look for potential problems.
    None were found, but I'm sure Messrs. Murphy and Sod will happily oblige in due course.
    The following photos still show a few areas that require some sanding before I could move to priming.
    IMG_1851r.jpg IMG_1852r.jpg
    Fransab, phil_h, captnenglish and 5 others like this.
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Onto the painting.
    I had chosen the Farquaharson tartan for my figure.
    Farquharson_tartan_(Vestiarium_Scoticum)_(Stewart_-_'The_Setts').png
    Given that a tartan design is so regular, I planned my painting stages by conducting them in Microsoft Excel.
    This is what I came up with:-
    Tartan.jpg
    and made a start with the base colour (Humbrol 101).
    IMG_1855r.jpg
    I wanted to ensure that my tartan stripes were as uniform in width as possible.
    I then had a brainwave (or one might call it a brain fart).
    I'd seen somewhere the use of a flexible masking strip. A bit of chasing on the web and I found the appropriate item made by Tamiya.
    The item in question is their Masking Tape for Curves. I'd decided on the 5mm width and the local Antics had it in stock for £3.50. Back home, and I started to apply it by first putting it on edge to edge, and then removing alternate strips. The blue-grey horizontal stripes were then painted using Humbrol 109.
    IMG_1858r.jpg IMG_1859r.jpg IMG_1862r.jpg
    So far, so good.
    The idea of using the masking tape for the vertical stripes was OK for the flatter areas, and the tape did flex partially; but not enough to use more than just as a guide. So I pressed on as best I could and also painted the dark grey lines delineating the tartan. There was a mis-match, but I had half expected this to occur and had painted in both directions to meet at the ground contact area.
    IMG_1863r.jpg IMG_1864r.jpg
    Having got this far, I decided to have a go at the upper highly folded section of the tartan.
    The contortions and convolutions made use of the tape nigh on impossible.
    So, it was back to the use of Eyeball Mk 1.
    It was slow going, with much removal of paint, overpainting in many cases, but eventually I had what looked like a reasonable pattern. The intersections of the blue-grey were painted in a mix of Humbrol 25 and 89, and the grey lines tidied up.
    Then I placed the upper and lower sections together.
    IMG_1866r.jpg
    The tartan dimensions just did not match enough for me to even think it'll do.
    So it's back to the green, and start again.
    IMG_1868r.jpg

So, here I sit, broken-hearted.
    Daubed on some paint, and now I'm back where I started.

Using the tape was a good idea, but this was the wrong place to use it.

Cheers,
    Andrew

To be continued …..
  3. chailey Active Member

England
    Good luck with this Andrew, I attempted it several years ago and gave up in despair, trying to match up the pattern almost led to me throwing it out of the window...I sold it half painted on ebay!

Steve
    arj likes this.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I paint my tartan in the same direction as you mentioned.
    Even tryed the Tamiya tape once, and it also become a disaster because you can always see the lines from the tape.
    So I painted handsfree and it worked well. Every evening one step, because you get tired.

Marc
    arj and Scotty like this.
  5. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Will follow that with interest, because I always have problems to paint tartans. And the figure is a classic one
    arj likes this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

I remember painting this many moons ago,twice.
    Looking forward to more Andrew:).
    arj likes this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A super figure Andrew
    1999 and it has really stood the test of time.
    The pose is what draws me to this Jock.
    If I can make any suggestion it would be to keep the colours of the tartan kilt and hoes very drab. Dyes were made from natural vegetation etc. This helps make them look very lived in.
    I am following your progress with with keen interest Mate.
    Very best wishes
    Keith
    arj likes this.
  8. fesak_j Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Hi Andrew, please let me help you..... I guess the best way is to paint it by free hand. It demands a little more practice but you ll get better result. I do not have an experience with 120mm scale but I have painted several tartans on 30mm or 54mm. First I can advise to paint the kilt by green colour as base(more darker or drab as Keith advised), do the highligts and shadows - more contrasted. Than to use the mix of blue colour + green colour to paint stripes. All squares which you need to highlighted or shadowed you will part and blend upon direction of light. Than you can use black to paint thin black lines - the trick is to keep your brush constantly loaded by colour, I guess half loaded. I use AC - black/ 0 - brush. The rest you know ;) I hope you ll make it fine :)
    arj and Scotty like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Andrew

Sit not broken hearted ...give him a one colour kilt and shoulder part ...fear not we all have faith in you completing this with your usual skill ...and you have over a month till Bugle Call !

The rework on the groundwork looks good

Happy tartening ..is that a word..it is now!

Nap
    arj likes this.
  10. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Andrew
    This a superb old kit, I painted one many moons ago and thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the tartan!:eek: ...So good luck there mate, I'm sure you'll do a cracking job on him(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    arj likes this.
  11. Ferris A Fixture

So great to see this one tackled. I think it is one of the best and most iconic figures around and way ahead of its time in quality. I have one and everytime I dig it out I am tempted to start on it....maybe one day it will actually happen. So I look forward to following your journey Andrew!

Great idea on the tape and good to know there is a use for Microsoft Excel in figure painting! Good luck on your second try at the tartan.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    arj likes this.
  12. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the encouragement Steve.
    I guess I was in much the same situation a few years back.
    Anyway, I'm pleased to have kept it because it's such a superb kit, and I think I might do it better justice the second time around.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  13. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    One lives and learns Marc.
    I've now gone back to the freehand approach for the kilt.
    The horizontal and vertical lines have been done and, I think look OK.
    Once I've applied the dark grey delineating lines I'll be able to check against the upper section.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  14. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for looking Ulrich.
    I hope you find my 'two steps forward and three steps back' approach of some use.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  15. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve, I take my hat off to you for painting this twice.
    While this is my second go, I can't claim the previous attempt, as I tripped on the first hurdle.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    swralph likes this.
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree about the pose Keith. I understand that Mike Good sculpted it as a tribute to Rick Scollins, based on one of his illustrations.
    I have seen that illustration, but try as I might, I couldn't find it again.
    The Farquaharson tartan jpg is rather bright. The Humbrol paints I am using give a much more muted result. However, digital photography does tend to brighten colours.
    Once I've finished, I'll probably apply some Dullcote to get the tartan totally matt, and apply washes, if still necessary.
    Many thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Wings5797 likes this.
  17. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for the advice Jozef.
    I hope I didn't give the impression that I was totally stuck. Far from it. I've already got the grey-blue stripes in place and will be starting on the delineations imminently.
    Sorry about the 'Here I sit .... etc'. It's just my English humour playing with the words of a well known ditty (song):-
    SFA.png

Cheers,
    Andrew
    napoleonpeart and stoffy01 like this.
  18. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Despite the very temporary setback with the tartan, things are looking well off to a good start. For what it's worth, as others have mentioned, I would definitely do this freehand, in the end you'll be much better off...
    Definitely looking forward to seeing more (y)

Phil
    arj likes this.
  19. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for looking.
    I took a little rest from the tartan by making a start on one of Ellie's Miniatures AWI busts. That was very therapeutic, and now I'm back on that dratted tartan.
    I've got the groundwork painted, but I've since decided to put some shrubbery along the top, so I'm busy getting fingers glued and unglued. I'll post piccies once it looks right (the base, not my fingers).
    Hope to have it ready for Bugle Call, but I'm making no promises.
    See you at Nailsea School.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  20. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You're most certainly right Jim. It is a superb old kit.
    Many thanks for your confidence in my ability. I'll try not to disappoint you.

Cheers,
    Andrew