1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Highlander from Scorpio Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everybody

Time to look at another release from the german company run by Markus Eckmann called SCORPIO MODELS.
    s0.jpg
    Releases are varied and of subjects that both Markus finds interesting and that he likes for instance the London Gutter boy that I reviewed here http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/london-gutter-boy-from-scorpio-models.82226/,

this is the case of what we will be looking at here .

Scorpio 001.jpg

As you can see its based on the film hero from Braveheart ...played by Mr Mel Gibson ......personally I enjoyed the film and have watched it again in prep for the review !!!

Lets forget any historical errors in the film and concentrate on the actual release

This was as I said a subject that Markus likes the subject mater and I cannot think of a better reason to sculpt a piece.

As this leans heavily towards the film lets have some pictures of the man himself and then have the details of the release itself .

s.jpg sss.jpg ssssss.jpeg ssssssssssss.jpg ssssssssss.jpg sssssssssss.jpg ss.jpg ssssssss.jpg
    sssssssss.jpg

ssss.jpg sssss.jpg sssssss.jpg

s0.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    marco55 and Wings5797 like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like it allready.

Marc
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets see what we are looking at

Title: Highlander Stirling Bridge 1297

Scale: 200mm

Reference: 20-001

Material: Gray resin

No of parts: 3

Sculptor: Markus Eckmann

Casting: Markus Eckmann

Box Art: N/A

As we see the parts are all but 3 ,the main torso the sword hilt and a base so :
    Scorpio 002.jpg
    Prep was going to be minimal and consists of:

Torso ....Sand a vslight casting slip from the underside and the left sleeve
    Sword Hilt...Sand the edges up , dry fit and fit to area in rear .
    Base Slight sanding round the edges and pin and fit if you choose to use.

So all very simple , quick and easy to do

General comments

Yes this is a subject that has been released by other companies but nothing wrong with another version and one that without a doubt looks like Mr Gibson in the film and that Marcus enjoyed working on .

Presentation is in the same as previous releases , a strong white box with parts in the box and packed well with a thick foam layer, no box art was available at the time of the review , the box itself has a good clear picture of the built piece from front and 2 side views. Scorpio 001.jpg

Torso

A full head and shoulders sculpt the first thing to say is that the likeness is extremely good in relation to the film character and clothing .
    Scorpio 003.jpg
    The facial features cannot be mistaken for anyone else , very nicely worked , very good mouth area and jowls , the distinctive chin ..rugged , the furrowed brow , nose and with the eye definition being extremely well defined

Scorpio 010.jpg Scorpio 012.jpg Scorpio 013.jpg
    Hair , this is an area that I find Markus's sculpting talents really come to the fore , excellent surface work , very well defined , the hair pulled back over the top of the head ito a pony tail , at the front edges we have hanging plaits as well , all of the hair sits well onto the shoulders , the surface work on this will make painting a enjoyable experience for sure

The neck area has a nicely shown voicebox leading down to the small collar , small and well done leading onto the armor that he wears , the details are sharply shown with the plates having the securing rivets in each corner , the definition between the plates are very cleanly worked .

Over the left shoulder we have his tartan , again this is in place very nicely , folds are deep and smoothly shown , the tartan is held by a brooch on the shoulder , torque in style , the material sitting well in the centre as it should when being held in place.

The sleeves are torn at the lower edges with nice undercuts showing the bare arms

Running across the right shoulder we have of course the sword belt the shaping of this is good with the strap ends hanging good on the belt at the front , leading to the back and the scabbard , the area at the top is cast ready to take the sword hilt .
    Scorpio 004.jpg Scorpio 011.jpg Scorpio 005.jpg Scorpio 007.jpg Scorpio 006.jpg Scorpio 009.jpg Scorpio 008.jpg
    Sword Hilt

This consists of 2/3rds of the hilt the handle and one crosspiece , the other has been sculpted peeking out from under the hair on the torso itself .
    The shaping of the hilt closely follows the film prop ( which you can see in the reference pictures ) fit is easy into the area at the rear of the torso , a tiny smidgeon of filler might be needed.
    Scorpio 014.jpg
    Base

A nicely shaped piece of resin provides the base , rounded and sloping to the rear , fit is easy , I would say pin or use a brass rod if you prefer.

Scorpio 016.jpg Scorpio 015.jpg

Final Thoughts

As said the subject has been released before but its nice to see this version from a small but reputable company with the owner doing everything from sculpting , casting etc . Its good to support the smaller guys in the hobby .
    Sculpting and presentation is very good indeed the likeness is unmistakable .

Recommended

For more information contact Markus either via a message on PF ...

or by e mail to: info@scorpio-models.com

Thanks to Scorpio for the review piece and I look forward to sharing more from them very soon

Happy Modelling

Nap
  4. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for another great review Nap:).
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great review Kevin
    Thank you for pulling it together and sharing it with the assembled throng.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  6. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nap love your reviews and this bust seems to be a well sculpted piece that will prove popular with Braveheart fans however as with other very similar releases of the same subject I feel that the pose is much to static and although I would like to have a braveheart bust in my collection I have been waiting on someone producing one in an attacking pose, mouth open, eyes squinting etc, perhaps including arms and hands swinging that big sword, looking like a fierce warrior.
    This has no reflection on the sculptor as he has produced a nicely detailed bust but I live in hope that someone will take an image from one of the fantastic battle scenes in the film and work of that.
    TERRY
  7. john crawford Active Member

I would love to see this complete . need to get one although tartan might be a problem for me
    me being a sweaty sock , this would look great on my shelf