1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help with painting bricks

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Jack10, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jack10 Active Member

hi never attempted a diorama before. Got a little Italiano church door diorama piece to practice with before I start anything . Here it is

IMG_1646.JPG

I've got the grey stone looking' ok' but struggling a bit with the brickwork in the doorway...what colours do you guys suggest for creating the brick effect? Cheers
    swralph likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

I woukd start on various Browns , mahogany , ochres etc , but vary the base coat then plenty of washes , burnt umbers , some black , dry brushing with a white to pick details out then washes to take it back ...

Never really do e a diorama but have a look at the walling that smudger1960 has done on backgrounds for his busts .

Hopefully more competent diorama psinters will come in here !

Nap
    smudger1960, swralph and Jack10 like this.
  3. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Also Jack, dont do all the bricks the same colour, vary the colour of some of the bricks here and there by changing the tone of them a bit, by mixing the paint a little darker or lighter.....you can even change the tone of them by adding a wash or glaze over the basic colour if you like, not by much, just a little bit so they don't look so monotone.

Hope this helps,

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    swralph and Jack10 like this.
  4. Jack10 Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Going to have a go at it this afternoon
  5. swralph A Fixture

Here is a very simple way to do red bricks.
    1 Paint all the bricks black,leave to dry.
    2 Add a wash of light tan or light brown all over the bricks (it is ok if they cover the bricks themselves).Leave to dry
    3 Drybrush a brick colour over all the bricks(this will leave the tan or light brown showing where the mortar would be).

All the best.
    Ralph.
    Jack10 likes this.
  6. Jack10 Active Member

Do they need anything adding? Dry brush some white then add another wash or do they look ok? IMG_1655.JPG
    Jeff T, swralph and Scotty like this.
  7. swralph A Fixture

These look fine Jack:).
    Don't do anything else:cool:.
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi Jack, another combination on themes already suggested which I have used is base coat in humbrol 62 leather then thin washes of burnt umber oil paint and highlight with Naples yellow. I use humbrol 93 desert yellow for the mortar which you can mix with white depending on how dark you want it. Hope this helps.