1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help Required

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Mzark, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Mzark New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Just bought my first bust model from Mitche's Military Models of the 95th Rifles(Sean Bean)
    the half figure with the pelise... been researching over the net and found some pics of his uniform
    but the shade of green eludes me ....has anybody painted this figure who could be a mentor to
    assist me to find the best way to get the colour i need the closet i have found so far is Tamiya XF 26
    also was the pelise lined or not?
    Thanks
    Paul
  2. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Paul,

The 95th uniform is sometimes described as being very dark green, almost black. Other times, as a kind of bottle green. Shade would vary according to the dyeing process, weathering, etc. Your choice on Tamiya XF26 may be OK, although it looks a bit like modern British Army green for me. Tamiya Flat Green XF5 looks a bit more like it. I did a Verlinden 120mm figure of a Rifles officer a short while ago and used the Andrea green paints set: the results are reasonably good.

With regard to the lining of the officers' pelisse, The best that I can offer is a painting of Lieut Gardiner of the 95th by Christa Hook, printed in the book "Far in Advance" by Nick Haynes. It shows the officer with pelisse slung and from what is suggested rather than clearly painted, it looks like the jacket is lined with the same black fur as per the edging and cuffs. I have seen other illustrations of the fur lining being brown and grey, so again some variation may be permissible: I suspect that the officers bought their own uniforms and that some variety was evident within the broad uniform guidelines. This book is, incidentally, an excellent reference on the British and KGL light troops in the Peninsula and is available from www.riflesdirect.co.uk.
    Lots of colour paintings by Christa Hook.
    Proceeds go to charity supporting the Regiment's old soldiers.

Good luck!

Richard.
    napoleonpeart, anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  3. Mzark New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Richard most informative i will check out the andrea paints my painta are limited to Tamiya/Revell/ Model color and Game color and water based
    Acrylic oils. anyway thanks again for the info have a good christmas
    Thanks
    Paul
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    You too Paul, good luck with your project.

R
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice one Richard

I have that book it's really good and it's a great Museum as well

Paul ..big welcome to PF ..good start a bust ! ..guess what I paint ..lol

Nap
  6. Mzark New Member

United-Kingdom
    yes i have seen some of your work.....you are an artist sir and we who are about to start the journey We Salute You
    merry christmas
    Paul
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    While looking for something else, I came across an article on making 'Sharpe'.
    Hope you'll find these scans useful:-
    Sharpe 01.jpg Sharpe 02.jpg

Cheers,
    Andrew
  8. Mzark New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Andrew....those pics will come in very handy
    Paul