1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help: Remember this Author/Modeler?

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kansas kid, Sep 12, 2016.

1. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States

Help: Remember this Author/Modeler?
    I’m hoping that there is a fellow Planeteer who was involved in our hobby in the 1980s and remembers Kalmbach Publishing Company, Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA. Some years before 2000 Kalmbach produced a series of soft cover books (approximately 8 inches wide by 11 inches deep) on figure conversion and diorama settings. I owned this series, written by a distinguished older gentleman. I believe there were five or six books in the series. Unfortunately, my copies were destroyed in Hurricane Andrew, 1992. I’m hoping one of you can recall this fine large format series and tell me the name of the author.
    It was from this series that I got the tip for one way of making rocks and boulders. The author suggested to cut Styrofoam into rock shapes, stick a toothpick in the bottom of the Styrofoam rock and dip it into a mixture of water and Durham Water Putty. I have remembered that part but not the author’s name.
    I’m a contributor to the model club in Leavenworth, Kansas, writing a column each month in our newsletter, on our multi-faceted hobby. And for October I would like to write about making rocks and bolders using this technique. Of course, I would also like to credit the author. Shucks, before reading this series of Kalmbach books, I’d never even heard of the Plumbers Helper, Durham Water Putty!
    So can anyone out there give me that author’s name. I would sincerely appreciate it. Later I might write this tip with photos, and state that it is aimed for beginning modelers. Thank you and Kind regards from,
    The Miami Jayhawk
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Shep Paine Rick?:unsure:
  3. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Carl: Thanks for chiming in here, my friend. Yes,
    I do also remember Shep Paine, the super artist from
    Chicago, Illinois, USA. I had some of his soft cover books
    that were also destroyed in the Hurricane. But that is not
    the fellow I'm looking for. . . Appreciate your post, however,

Rick
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    At a loss then Rick, sorry.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I seem to remember Phil Kessling did one (perhaps more than that) on painting figures for Kalmbach Publishing and I'm sure he touched on groundwork.
  6. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Billy;
    And thanks for the speedy reply. I will google Phil
    Kessling and see what I can come up with. I do so
    appreciate you taking the time to respond to my note,
    and thank you for it. Kind regards, Rick
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Rick, actually I have the book I'm thinking of myself, however it's at home and I'm at sea working for another four weeks. I'm hoping someone will step in and help me out here, assuming of course I'm thinking of the right book.
  8. Jon Harbuck New Member

United-States
  9. winfield Active Member

Rick, it was Ray Anderson. He did fabulous conversions of Historex figures with beautiful landscaping. He also had one-man shows in art galleries. I still use some of his tips for groundwork, including the open-cell styrofoam and Durhams rocks.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  11. winfield Active Member

I don't know where my post went but you are looking for work by Ray Anderson. I have sent you a PM regarding this.
  12. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    I remember one book by Ray Anderson but wasn't there a series by Mike Davidson?

Bob
  13. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yes, that is it Ray Anderson. As soon as I heard the name I did
    remember that was the author. Thank you Billy, Jon and Steve.
    I do so appreciate you gentlemen helping me get to the right
    name. Kind regards, Rick
    fanai likes this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I thought my post had disappeared but it's here again this morning, the site was doing some weird stuff lastnight.
    winfield likes this.
  15. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Glad you found the Author Ric
  16. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yes indeed. . . I tried for several hours before thing were back to
    normal! Jaybird

Hey Fanai, good to hear from you mate! :) Hope things
    down under are going well for you. My little St. Peter Bear
    figure is still doing fine in my curio cabinet, thanks to you,

Rickster