1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help Needed: Glue for Resin Figures

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Akritas, May 2, 2011.

1. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Hi everyone.

I need some help on what is the best glue for resin figures, i.e. epoxy, cyanoacrylate or superglue????

I have modelled only white metal figures for the last 3-4 years and as things move ahead I would be very interested to know what's the latest trend.

Many thanks in advance
    Nicolas
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I should go for the epoxy.

marc
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I use cyanoacrylate, but I'm impatient.
    Carl.
  4. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Thanks Marc, thanks Carl.

I'm scared of the heat here in Cyprus which can cause glued joints to crack. I will probably go for 30 minutes epoxy.
  5. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I actually use both 5 minute two part epoxy and cyanoacrylate (superglue). I apply the 5 minute epoxy on the pieces leaving a small bare spot and add a dab of superglue to the bare spot. Then joining the pieces together in effect glues the pieces but will allow the stronger epoxy to harden with minimal amount of worry about slippage.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

Gary Daugherty
    1969 and Diegoff like this.
  6. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    That's a great idea! I would have never thought of that, thanks!
  7. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    5 minute epoxy on large parts , generaly pinned first . Super glue for small parts . A good super glue is Luiquid Weld , it takes 30 seconds to go of which gives you chance to get it in the right position , but comes with a releasing agent just in case you get it wrong .
    What a great tip from Gary D !
    chippy
  8. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    @Gordon, do you know if the Liquid Weld will melt metal figures? I've heard that anything less than 20 -30 min epoxy would diminish detail of metal minis. Just curious if you knew if LW is safe on metal. Thanks!

-Ronnie
  9. Einion Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Einion
  10. Einion Well-Known Member

Liquid Weld is just a trade name, it doesn't actually weld in the sense of using heat ;)

No glue should have any effect on the detail of metal figures, unless any of it actually gets on the surface so it physically obscures the detail (excess squeezing out of a joint or you have it on your fingers during handling).

Einion
  11. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Love all these excellent suggestions. Gary D's combo sounds very promising and looking forward to start this on my next project.

I've got an old Reheet 120mm pilot which has been sitting on my bench for ages. Look out for the painting thread guys.

Many thanks to all of you.
  12. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    If I can chip in. I would like to recomend the Loc-tite Superglue in gel-form.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  13. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    In respones to Showlen's question , just like Eion mentioned earlier Liquid Weld is a trade name for a super glue . I'm happy to glue a complete 54mm kit with this glue , I've used it for 2 years without any problems . This is the imformation on the bottle . Liquid Weld Devon , EX16 9DS , UK .
    Tel 07782220213 .
    I think they also do a thick version which helps fill gaps but I've never tried it .
    chippy
  14. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I use epoxy, not fast but neither am I LOL
  15. Einion Well-Known Member

That's the biggest truncation of my name so far :D

Einion