1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help needed-Franco-Prussian War info.

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Cannonball, May 11, 2018.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong section but could do with some help regarding colours for a French cuirassier greatcoat/capote of the Franco -Prussian War (the one rolled and secured at the front of the saddle).

Looking at my reference books(osprey etc) I'm struggling and paintings of the period seem to show a light brown to grey. Are they all one colour and if so any ideas or is this lining and are they a separate colour altogether?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Neal
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This is what I've got Neal, hope it helps.

207751merlet10.jpg Cuirassier 1857.PNG
  3. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Remembering the item I saw in the Musee de l'Armee, Paris, the capote appears to be a pale grey, although it may have faded somewhat over the years. Quite a warm grey....
    You could try , as I've done, mixing pale Naples Yellow with Old Holland brand warm grey, or W&N Davy's Grey.

Alan
    Huw63 likes this.
  4. Cannonball A Fixture

billyturnip likes this.
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Alan, thanks again for the response and the suggested colour combo, much appreciated.
  6. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    :happy:;) You're welcome
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Guard Cuirassiers wore red ones...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Line Regiments white ones.

Troopers and NCO's with thin red piping at the collar...:

[IMG]

Officers with red collar and buttons...:

[IMG]

Cheers
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Martin, that's really helpful and the photo references are a great help. I can see that there are certain differences in details of uniform between guard and line cuirassier regiments. Would this extend to the colour of the flaming grenade/piping on the portmanteau ends- I have seen some depicted in red and some in white. Again, any help is gratefully appreciated.
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  9. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    billyturnip likes this.
  10. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Double post due to performance problems of PF. So edited with another image that shows the equipment and gear on campaign 1870 during the doomed attack on Morsbronn

ccfffd3ed2d6fbb1c4cfcb52d8efb1cc.jpg
    Cheers, Martin
    billyturnip likes this.
  11. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks Martin, this is very much appreciated.
    Neal.
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks again (no prizes for guessing which figures I'm on with at present).
    Martin64 likes this.