1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hello from Potsdam Germany

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Elmar, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Elmar Member

Germany
    Hello everyone,
    my name is Elmar and I am from Germany.
    I have been painting figures for many years, starting at the age of 16 with warhammer and other small fantasie Figures. For over 10 years I stopped, but with my sons reaching an age where modelling and painting is possible I restarted.
    My interests have shifted when I came across a very well painted bust in my local modelling store. And that is when I restarted painting for my own pleasure.
    I have finished my first bust and am working on the second now. Since I live in Potsdam, I chose prussian Hussars to start this. This is from young miniatures and my first shot ever on this scale and on a bust. Now I learned that shading black and white is hard to do :)
    [IMG]
    Tom W., theBaron, samson and 5 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Elmar

A BIG WELCOME to PF

Great to gave you with us

Well done on the bust ( I only paint busts ..no legs for me ...LOL )

Lots of great guys here all only to willing to help and share both work and advice

Do feel free to PM me if you need any help

Happy benchtime
    Nap
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
  4. santi fernandez Well-Known Member

Spain
    Welcome Elmar,have a good time in this community and learn that there is a lot of art.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Welcome to the board from the states great start
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Servus, Elmar! Welcome to the Planet! Nice selection of a subject-the Seven Years War is one of my favorite periods.

i frei mi drauf, dei andere Werke o'schaug'n z'kenna!

Gruss aus Bethlehem!
    Brad
  7. Elmar Member

Germany
    Really?
    I work in Bethlehem every now and then.

The Seven Year War is not very well supported as far as I can see. Prussian Busts of this period are only 4 of which I dislike at least one.

This Forum already gave me a very interesting insight.
    I always thought you could paint in Acrylics OR Oil OR Enamels. Now I learned you can use Oils ontop of Acrylics. Since I have fun learning something new I am already about to buy some oil colors.
  8. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hello,

Looking forward to your projects. Especially Seven Years War subjects.

Thing is that there aren't that much figures from that period around.

So: how is the reconstruction of the 'Garnisonskirche' coming along? Hope to hear 'Üb Immer Treu Und Redlichkeit' one day coming from the tower of the church. And the Stadtschloß?

Ulbricht and his cronies should be sent to the gallys for blowing up the church's remains, as well as the Baroque facades of the old town still standing after the war.

Potsdam was a baroque beauty. Thank God the 'Holländerviertel' survived, as well as Sans Souci and the Neues Palais.

Cheers Paul
  9. Elmar Member

Germany
    Since I could find little, I have both young miniatures Hussars, the second was much harder and is almost finished.
    Then I found here on Board the Swedish Gula Hussar which will be the next on the Bench.

Because of the beauty and the sculpting I also purchased the Lao-Tzu Bust ... which will be a big challange.

The Potsdam Stadtschloß is finished. It was painted pinkish and feels a bit like a Barbie house now. But it is still better than any modern glass and steel construction I guess.
    The Garnisonskirche is worked on. The are still doing the founding for the tower. Not much to see yet.

Oh yes!

We fortunately still have most of the Schlösser around here and a lot of old houses. So damage is not that big.
    rossbach likes this.
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Bethlehem, PA, that is, "Weihnachtstadt an der Lechaa." Former home of Bethlehem Steel. Aba da hob i amoi z'Minga schtudiert ;)

I work in 54mm fully rounds, and I like to paint in what I have seen called "Nostalgie-Bemalung". Seven Years War, and more generally, the 18th Century, is one of my favorite subjects. I have some pictures up in a gallery here. The other area is the Kaiser's Army, which collection includes some commercially produced finished figures, but which I expand with old Stadden, Rose, and other makers' figures when I can find them.

I think you'll like adding oils to your Farbkastl. I bought mine years ago, for painting flats, but I have wound up using them more with acrylics and enamels on scale model projects. Especially on figures, I like to use acrylics for my base colors, and then shade with oils. Though, I am learning how to do my highlights and shadows with acrylics, too. Scott Hershbell, "oldtrousers" here in the forum, showed me how to use a wet palette, and that helped me work more with acrylics.

Prost!
    Brad
  11. Elmar Member

Germany
    Yes. Lehigh Valley. I am working there every now and then ...

At the moment I want to learn Busts, for some reason I find that most appealing.
    When I started painting, Acrylics where not used to paint "Zinnsoldaten", everyone used enamels. I was so glad to find the early Warcraft (Citadel) Colors and only came across all the other brands
    much later when I started using my airbrushs for scale Models (Vallejo). Now with Bust painting I can bring everything together, airbrush, miniature painting and scale modelling hurray!

I plan now to learn about oils on the scale models of my kids. I have a Submarine Diorama to do where I can play around.
    Whenever I feel I know how that works I will try on my miniatures. No rush.
    theBaron likes this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Toll! Das nächste Mal, daß du da bist, sollen wir sehen, ob wir uns treffen können oder net. Können wir uns auch was vielleicht mit den Malfreunden ausmachen. Wenn’s Wetter schön ist, wir setzen uns draust und malen.
  13. Elmar Member

Germany
    That would be really nice. I spend my evenings in the Hotel not knowing what to do while I am in Bethlehem.
    theBaron likes this.
  14. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Welcome Elmar
  15. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium