1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hartmann bust - finally done

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, May 10, 2006.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Well, I finally finished another piece (only the second since last December). It's the Erich Hartmann bust from Mirage.
    Here are a couple of pictures for you...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I won't go into the problems I had again. Just suffice it to sat that they were my shortcomings and not the piece itself :)--<

As always, any comments and especially criticisms are welcome. But I'll have to file them away for future pieces as this one is no longer in my hands :)
    Thanks,
    Craig
  2. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I suppose if I had to find something to critique ( :) ) I would say that the leather jacket could show a bit more wear and tear and perhaps a more contrast on the blouse.

OTH, I think this is very well done. I especially like the blue on the cap. I like the flesh too. Is this the same basic flesh mix you have used in the past? Still using the Deep Portrait Pink?

Keith
  3. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Craig,

Very nice work. Clean and crisp. I like the flesh tones, and the leather hjacket looks good to me. Not all leather needs to be distressed, and since you've gone for more of a full dress look, I think it fits the subject fine.

Great seeing you at MFCA.
  4. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    this s oils great work
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig,
    very nice work over all! Very cleanly done.

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,

I really like the overall look of the figure. The jacket is extremely well done, the skin tones are almost lifelike.
    But i don't like that McCleans smile (here in the netherlands they make a tv commercial in the 80's with a very white smile for toothpaste, thats why we call it the McCleans smile) or as others say the George Michael smile.:lol: :lol:
    I find the teeth to white.

Further it is as crispy paint as a masterpainter can get.

marc
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Craig - Looks very nice to me! :) ;) I agree - I like the leather the way it is. As for the smile - some people actually smile that way and have big very white teeth! Why not?

All the best,
    Dan
  8. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your feedback.
    Keith,
    Yes, this is my usual flesh mix with the Deep Portrait Pink undercoat.

I tried to tone the teeth down so that they're slightly greyish rather than stark white. I think the picture is showing them whiter than in real life. With the mouth and teeth being sculpted as large as they were, I felt that I needed to make the gaps a little more pronounced. Just so that they didn't look like one big white tooth :lol:.
    I wanted to do this with color rather than with width of gap but I may not have pulled it off well enough.

Thanks again guys
    Craig
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    He looks very good to me Craig. Lifelike skin tons and beautiful hat. My personal taste would contrast the jacket more.. since it's leather and it catches light more than a woolen one. But that's just personal preference. Other than that he looks great.
    What's next on your bench?

Xenofon
  10. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    Looks good Craig, nice work on the bust.
  11. godfather Member

very nice work! Is your leather mix part of your "painting with oils" feature on Armorama?
  12. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Great painting my friend !
    Im very glad to see your version of this bust ,
    Congrats , and best regards ! (y) (y) (y)

Jacek