1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hakenbüchsen or Medieval Gunpowder Castle Artillery Pt2

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by Paul, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Paul Active Member

Germany
    I knew I´d seen them before!!! ...as I wrote on the
    Medieval Gunpowder Castle Artillery post

I´ve seen examples of them in print but I can´t remember where. They look late medieval or Renaissance.
    The pics come from "das Zeugbuch des Kaisers Maximilian I. 1475"
    Digital Version HERE
    Look under the titel (left Hand side ) Messinghakenbüchsen
    The book shows a whole range of arquebus´s, big, small, on Trestles, two legged stands, wheels, breech and muzzle loaded.
    Looking at the pics...the "Flaming Brands" depicted on the RedBox Bods now makes sense.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Arquebus from The German Hakenbuchse..a Hand gun with a hook so it can be braced when being fired.

And...at PSR they are sceptical about the kneeling bod using a pick axe to chip shot down to size but..
    [IMG]

It could be RedBox were being too literal (or not) by portraying a hammer with two spiked heads but the pic below ..the one on the right has, when viewed from the side, what Looks two Points. Even though they aren´t as common These days, so called "Stone Dressing Hammers" used to be common and they do (did) look a wee bit like small pick axes.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    Oh...and the bod Holding the guage board..the one with the axe in his Hand. What is it for? The axe not the board.
    It´s a Stone cleaving axe, something like...HERE.

And just to make sure...here´s a site listing, among other Stone mason Tools, axes (plain edged) and Hand picks (Sculptors pick)
    The Art of Making in Antiquity

Continue reading...