1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Guan Yu - 90mm Chinese General

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by phil_h, Jun 25, 2017.

1. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Everybody...

My new project I'm starting is this lovely 90mm sculpt from Alexandros models, Guan Yu. The sculpt itself is amazing - I absolutely love it. The casting is phenomenal. Every single piece dry-fitted flawlessly together, and almost no prep work was required. There were a few mould lines that needed to be sanded out and that was about it. There is an incredible amount of detail - and all of it is very crisply sculpted. This is one of the highest quality kits I've come across in quite some time.

Actually, almost exactly a year ago I posted a very, very detailed step by step of Pegaso's 54mm Chinese general (can be seen here); I think that was good practice for tackling this much larger and more detailed figure. I am definitely looking forward to painting this guy.

Here is the kit, cleaned prepped and ready for assembly
    2017-06-22 07.26.29-2.jpg

And here he is assembled primed and ready for painting
    2017-06-23 13.35.56.jpg

Next step is the face. If there is enough interest, I'd be more than happy to do a detailed step by step of this guy too...

Regards,
    Phil
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Phil

What a fine looking piece of sculpting as for an SBS ...certainly be a great idea

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    stoffy01, phil_h, anstontyke and 2 others like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

The Far East being my most favourite topic for modelling,I have always felt that China,one of the most ancient civilised countries in the world with a vast and colourful history,has been neglected by companies and modellers alike.So it should be no surprise that I already love this project and being favourably prejudiced towards you ('cause of all your previous SBS tutorials) I will follow this with enthusiasm knowing that you'll probably grace us with another fantastic miniature.

Oda.
    phil_h and billyturnip like this.
  4. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    another lovely piece for you to work your magic on.
    an sbs would be great again.

tony
    stoffy01, phil_h and Oda like this.
  5. KuK_Grenadier PlanetFigure Supporter

Austria
    Hi Phil,
    i agree with the comments before. Please give us this SBS. I would follow with pleasure.
    phil_h and anstontyke like this.
  6. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Big Challenge on this great sculpt. I wish a lot of fun at work and I will watch closely ...

Cheers Borek :)
    phil_h, anstontyke and Oda like this.
  7. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Everybody...

First off, thanks for all the kind words everybody. They're much appreciated. :). It's also nice to see an interest in the SBS. So let's get started!

1. The face

I always start with the face, and I see no reason to stop doing that now. For this guy, the approach was roughly as follows:
    1. Basecoat the face
    2. Do the eyes. I like doing the eyes very early in the process, because if you mess them up (and I always do), making corrections are very, very simple do to.
    3. Block in shadows and highlights
    4. Smooth things out a little bit, and glaze in some colors.
    5. Small details - wrinkles, lips, nose, ears, etc...
    6. Hair (and facial hair).
    That sounds far more organized than what actually happens in reality, but that's the gist of how the face got painted. It's hard to paint something without paints and brushes, so let's see what we got...
    2017-06-26 20.08.22.jpg
    These are Raphael 8404 brushes in sizes 0 and 000 respectively. I love these brushes, and am using them more frequently at the expense of my Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. I would definitely recommend you try them out. (Their sizes are a little larger than the same number in the Series 7 brushes). If you've seen the last project I just finished (the bust of Ioannis Makriyannis), I used the 000 to do all the freehand patterns on his jacket.
    Lets see what paints we got:
    2017-06-26 20.06.28.jpg
    As always for me, they're Golden Artist acrylics. Not pictured is Phthalo Turquois. With our paints selected, we should put them on a palette of some sort:
    2017-06-26 19.58.58.jpg
    To make sense of this mess we have:
    1. Midtone - this is Naples Yellow, with slightly smaller amounts of Yellow Ochre and Raw Sienna. A very, very small amount of Naphthol Red Medium is also added.
    2. Highlights - Midtone with varying degrees of Titanium White mixed in. You can see the various highlight tones in a gradient fashion above.
    3. Shadows - Midtone with a Burnt Umber/Violet Oxide mix gradually added. Again, you can see the various shadow tones above.
    4. Glazes - You can see various glazes in the palette above. They're serving two functions. One, to provide some color/tonal variation in the face, and Two, to help smooth out the shadows/highlights.
    We can now go ahead and basecoat the face:
    2017-06-26 13.47.00.jpg
    Simple enough. Now we can move onto the eyes. I like to block in the eyeballs with a dark color (Burnt Umber in this case), just so I can get a feel for how they're shaped and what they look like. I can also use this step to see if I need to compensate for anything in the sculpting. It turns out that in this case one is sculpted larger than the other, so I tried to mitigate that a little bit. Here they are blocked in:
    2017-06-26 14.01.27.jpg
    Next we can now paint the actual eyeball in. This is a little tricky as we want to keep a very thin outline of the Burnt Umber we used in the step above:
    2017-06-26 14.16.26.jpg
    We'll adjust the outlines as needed as we go through the process; we just want something to start with.
    Next come the pupils. With eye sockets this small, there is no need to go into super detail here. He's going to have brown eyes, so we'll just dot in some Burnt Umber:
    2017-06-26 14.22.33.jpg
    Obviously, the things to keep in mind here are to maintain (relatively) the same size and orientation of the eyeballs. They also need to be positioned in a fashion that helps convey the look you're going for. Due to the nature of the sculpt and subject, all I know is that I want something pretty dramatic. Despite the small size of the pupils, I think we still have some room for a little extra detail, so let's go ahead and add some points of light in them:
    2017-06-26 14.29.12.jpg
    With the eyes done, we can now focus on the face proper. Keep in mind, we'll be adjusting the eyes as well; we'll be getting a better idea of where we want the overall look to go as we make more progress. Also, due to the fairly random approach here, I don't really have pics of each "step".
    Here is a pic at some point smoothing out the left side of the face. I also blocked out the hair on that side as well:
    2017-06-26 15.40.59.jpg
    After a bout of smoothing and shading, glazing and highlighting; here are some larger shots of the finished face:
    2017-06-26 19.38.48.jpg
    2017-06-26 19.38.57.jpg

2017-06-26 19.38.39.jpg
    Despite being "finished", I already got in mind a few super small tweaks I already want to make as I go along. Next steps are the eyebrows, hair and (rather large) beard. In terms of overall approach to the figure, we're going to work top down, inside out.
    Please feel free to ask any questions as we go along. I hope you enjoyed the first part!
    Regards,
    Phil
    arj, Ferris, swralph and 6 others like this.
  8. Oda A Fixture

Another fantastic SBS!!! The general already looks good and I will have a lot of fun watching you work your magic again Phil.

Oda.
  9. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    love the sbs, a great start phil.(y)

tony
    phil_h and Oda like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Phil

Excellent start and a great view of the flesh palette ...yes I know it's got legs...lol ..but this is impressive sculpting

Following with interest

Nap
  11. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Very nice skintone start. And thanks for the extensive introduction, especially the information about the brushes is interesting ... Thanks for sharing ...

Cheers Borek
  12. swralph A Fixture

Great start Phil:).
    Will be following with interest.
    phil_h, anstontyke and Borek like this.
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I'm really liking the looks of this sculpt along with the start of your work and SBS......

Wayne
  14. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Oda - it's funny, how in a completely unplanned fashioned, here we are again in exactly the same place we were exactly a year ago... doing an SBS of a Chinese general! :ROFLMAO:
    Regarding your last comment, I agree completely - I do think it's quite a shame at how under represented historical Chinese subjects are. I would love to see more of them...

Regards,
    Phil
    Oda and anstontyke like this.
  15. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thank you very much Tony :)

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks so much Nap! I know you're a "Bust Man", but I'll do my best to keep you interested!;)

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Borek. One of my favorite parts of painting is mixing up the skin tones, so I am glad you like them!
    Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks a lot Ralph!
    Regards,
    Phil
    swralph and anstontyke like this.
  19. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Wayne - much appreciated. This sculpt is killer, and I'm very surprised that its not more popular...

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Huw63 A Fixture

I'm busy at the moment but so glad I caught up on this one. Excellent work and thansk for sharing it.

Cheers

Huw
    phil_h, Oda and anstontyke like this.