1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Grade Suisse headwear

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Nap, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

I am planning to concert the Elllies Marine Artillery into this and was interested in knowing how you proper and takented sculptors would aporoach the hat

Currently the fur cap gas been cut off and I have a level top with a bit of MS on it as a start to the crown

All ideas SBS welcome

Cheers

Nap

image.jpg

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Id roll out some Duro, with some talc to stop it sticking, mark out a circle to the right size, then place it on the head and coax it into shape... But then, that's me.....(y)
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is a lovely idea for a conversion Nap!

I would try a paper template first Kev, after you have built the crown up and smoothed it.

Cutting a hole in the putty pattern slightly too small so it sits on the crown allows you to blend the putty ro tue crown and then turn up the front and back.

The hat is trimmed from a circle and won't look right otherwise.
    I find it better to make a bicorne slightly too big on the head, and then trim back with a sharp scalpel when almost cured, and you get a lovely sharp edge, adding the braided edge and cockade as seperate layers afterwards.
    I hope that makes sense.

Paul
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas , managed to do this ......by shaping up the crown to correct size and then rolling out a circle of MS bigger , put this on the head with the crown on top and then let it virtually go off working it into a rough shape , fine tuning ..let it go solid ....patience never was my thing! ......careful sanding and it's sorted .

Then had to get some more MS ordered!

Details to put around edging and rosette etc ..it will then be the start of several pieces on my bench ...watch this space !

Thanks again

Nap
    peedee likes this.