1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Gordon Highlander NI 1970s

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by bistray, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi all i thought i post a few pics of a commission im doing at the mo, This is from MMM 200mm Northern Ireland figure, ive made a few changes to the Tamoshanti and added the Gordons Badge, This is for a friend of mine for his dad who was in the Gordons at that time

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Mike S., jakbwrhr, MCPWilk and 6 others like this.
  2. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    All painted in acrylics, the DPM will be faded down a lot so as not to make him look like a sprog :) in the second to last picture i also changed the colour of the 58 pattern pouches and web belt adding a touch more brown to the colour
  3. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    heres a few pics of the head, loads to do on this, im not happy with it at the mo

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Stephan, jakbwrhr and Scotty like this.
  4. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Looking good to me Paul. Following with interest. Have this figure in my grey army, will eventually paint him as a Royal Marine.

Peter.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Camo is excellent. And the five o clock shade is to hard.

Marc
  6. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers guys. Marc I agree about the 5o clock shadow still work to do on the face im not happy with it yet
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Most of the Jocks I knew had to shave 4 times a day. Nice brush work, like the DPM.
    Not sure about the left hand pouch.
    Regards
    Bob
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey Paul, can you photo the rear of the T.O.S. please, most sculpted have the bow incorrect
    cheers
    looks great so far
    Paul
  9. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good, have you sculpted a completely new TOS? Are the pouches on different sides intentionally?
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A set of 58 patt webbing

Attached Files:

11. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi all heres a few more pics
    to answer some of you questions. i have re sculpted the whole TOS based on the pictures i have been given of my mates dad in NI in the 70s
    Bob dont know about the infantry but we ( Engineers) put the pouches on whichever side we prefered, ive just put these as i had mine, also this seemed to be the way that they fit with the kit, perhaps Peter can have a look at his and see what he thinks

Heres a few more pics

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ive toned down the 5 O clock shadow and given the DPM a wash with burnt umber
    jakbwrhr, Bootneck and Wings5797 like this.
  12. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I'm really sorry about my sideways pics
    Flaming blackberry !!!!
    Regards Paul
  13. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Lookin really good, love the camo pattern too, Paul.

Cheers, Ski.
  14. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Us puddlesplashers (infantry) wore the webbing as illustrated but then different regiment had different ideas. I can't speak for the Gordons.
    Some Regts wore only one pouch, there is a left and a right pouch.
  15. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    As I remember the pouches sloped back slightly as well, I never saw an inerga grenade, I use that wee pouch for my diggers (kfs). That TOS is a peach, my screw at the depot was a Gordon and showed me how to press it to perfection. Good work mate.
  16. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Same here. but only a spoon, didn't know how to eat with a knife and fork. :LOL:
    Scotty likes this.
  17. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks for the comments guys

Paul im not going to go into the whys and wherefores of a couple of pouches, as the kit goes this was the only way they would fit, as an engineer i never had a poncho carrier so had no need for the clips for it to latch onto.

Cheers Ski my first foray into the dark art of cammo painting

Cheers Scotty, the TOS that came with the kit was very different, i have looked at some of the more modern TOS and they appear to be more of a beret style with a bobble on, as i say this one was sculpted from a Pic of my mates Dad in NI in about 74 i believe he said, 4 years before my first tour.

Bob funny thing is all of the pics i have seen of the Gordons in NI and none have any pouches on at all
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    "Paul im not going to go into the whys and wherefores of a couple of pouches, as the kit goes this was the only way they would fit,"

Please yourself mate, you make that sound like I'm lecturing you ?

Shame really, all I was trying to point out was the kit has been packed incorrectly,
    No-one ever wore two pouches the same, it's like having two left boots !
    It would be bloody uncomfortable going to ground with a d-ring in the plums.

I just thought as it's a commission, you'd probably wanna contact the supplier and get the right parts sent on.

Paul
    Helm likes this.
  19. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Paul, no i dont consider it lecturing, the pouches are different, the right pouch doesnt have the tool bit on it and neither are showing the D ring anyway, apart from that its an awful lot of work to remove these as i have pinned them on, it would also entail removing the arm which is also pinned on, my only recourse for the sake of accuracy is to cut the tool pouch off and sculpt it on the other one,
  20. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    OK for the sake of accuracy i have removed the offending tool pouch and resculpted one on tother one

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Ventress likes this.