1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

gift

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by john crawford, Jun 6, 2017.

1. john crawford Active Member

Today , I was sent a watch from an old army pal who was my pltn commander , on my very first tour of NI ,
    I took it to J.Ross , a classic timepiece expert in Brighton , who confirmed it to be original and offered me 7k
    its a Cartier Roadster Chron
    and you know what all , at this moment in time my wife and i , are scraping by and that sort of money would be a godsend , after going for a pint and passing an hour thinking , ,,,,,,,i came home with the watch , an exceptional and unexpected gift , but jeez what a hard decision , as i think he will be at 35th anniversary next week.
    Thought i would let ye know , as i am still sitting here thinking
    john
    John Bowery and peedee like this.
  2. JonH Active Member

First thing he'll say to you next week--"How much did you get for it?"
    Why do you think he sent it to you in the first place.
    Jon
    peedee likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi John

You have your memories mate of this time , they never fade , so perhaps as it would help you out so much I would go for it ...a hard decision yes but you can toast his kindness and thank your lucky stars ...and treat the good wife of course , perhaps do a donation to a forces charity

Just my thoughts otherwise it's just going to sit in a draw .

Nap

Off to go through my cupboards ....just lots of memories for me ..lol
    peedee likes this.
  4. john crawford Active Member

JonH , I do know why he sent this , its not the 1st time he has sent me gifts , but never anything like this,

Nap , I have decided , that I will register it today and wear it in Blackpool next week . , then 7K
    That's exactly what the other half says , and to be honest the 40th anniversary is a long way off
    cheers
    john
    I cant find a new one , but this is pre owned ,, same watch

watch.JPG
    Tecumsea, peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    John

Enjoy wearing it and enjoy the end result

Nap
    peedee likes this.
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful watch John and with all due respects to sentiment;...You can't buy gas with it and someone you don't like may inherit it... What else can I say..

Wayne
  7. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I think it came from the heart. If he wanted you to turn it into cash why didn't he pawn it off or sell it himself and just give you the cash. I think he wants you to have something to remember him and the good times by for many years to come. To be given a gift of something tangible that's worth a fair bit of money means he treasured your company and would like you to have something to remember him by. You haven't lost anything by keeping it.

Just my opinion of course! If you want to cash it in that's your prerogative. ;)

Gary D