1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Giaus Julius Caesar, Nuts Planet bust 1/10th scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 29, 2015.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    As soon as this bust was released I knew it would be mine. The box art painting is so perfect I must admit to being intimidated, and several versions I've seen painted since then have been equally breathtaking.

So, at the risk of embarrassing myself, I've taken the plunge and started work on this magnificent bust.

So far I've painted on several thin flesh base coats, added one coat of mid shadow tone and outlines some of the creases and folds in the skin with a dark shadow. I've also done one coat of mid highlight.

The eyes have been outlined and the shape of the iris defined, but that's all so far. I'm going for a brown eye colour.

Still early days, but so far I'm happy with my progress.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    Scotty, Christos, Gaudin and 17 others like this.
  2. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    A nice draped cloak to paint - good start
    tonydawe likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd be happy too Tony :)

Great start mate, he looks fantastic already (y)
    tonydawe likes this.
  4. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I try not to comment about any period other than my own interest (Napoleonic) but that is one fine piece of painting. Very subtle and convincing.

Jeff
    tonydawe likes this.
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very nice start on the face, and the positioning of the irises looks perfect for this bust.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    tonydawe likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very good start,, but alot of work to do.

Marc
    tonydawe likes this.
  7. trickydicky Member

Nice painting very soft edges
    tonydawe likes this.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks very much for all your comments folks. I always appreciate them.

I spent another couple of hours last night working on smoothing the transitions, applying various dilute washes and practicing a stippling technique to create more realistic skin textures. It doesn't show in the photos.

Also started filling in some details within the irises. Haven't added the pupil yet. Still defining the shape and outline of the eyes. The brown hair is simply a base coat at this stage.
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg
    Gaudin, Perseas, trickydicky and 5 others like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony,

As you say a great bust , box art is amazing and you are bringing this to life , following this with interest

What colour for your cloak ...any thoughts yet?

Happy painting

Nap
    tonydawe likes this.
  10. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Great work so far. The blending and transitions of flesh tones are really nice. Look forward to seeing more progress on it:)
    tonydawe likes this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Nap and Jason.

Nap, I haven't settled on a specific colour but I was leaning towards an off-white cloak with a crimson border. I'm certainly not going to do the usual Roman red cloak. I'm also planning to paint the laurel wreath as real leaves and fruit berries, rather than as a gold crown.

Jason, thanks mate. I appreciate you helping me to understand your stippling technique too. Hopefully you'll see some more evidence of this when I post my next WIP pics. In the meantime, I have your photos to provide me with inspiration.
    storm_zh likes this.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I worked on the eyes last night and feel rather happy with the result. More skin shading done too.

Haven't done much highlighting yet, but that will come soon. I will be adding some darker shading for the 5 o'clock shadow, but I will keep it subtle.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg
    zernina, Perseas, Reddo and 6 others like this.
  13. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress on the face. Those eyes have really come to life.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    tonydawe likes this.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Andrew

I've applied the first of several oil washes over the face to darken the skin and blend the highlights and shadows together. Hope you like it. image.jpg image.jpg
    Perseas, arj, NickM and 3 others like this.
  15. Huw63 A Fixture

This is coming on a treat!!! Superb stuff.

Cheers

Huw
    tonydawe likes this.
  16. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    That is looking great Tony!!

Excellent work on the skin tones and the eyes.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    tonydawe likes this.
  17. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is really coming around great . Awesome stuff.
    tonydawe likes this.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    A bit of highlighting with oils on the fore head and nose. Starting to like the way he's looking. image.jpg
    arj and NickM like this.
  19. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ooh yes!
    I certainly do.
    Looking forward to the next step.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    tonydawe likes this.
  20. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looks great.