1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique German Stormtrooper, Young Miniatures bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 8, 2017.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've been working on a several modelling projects over the Christmas/ New year break, including a couple of tanks and a 72nd scale aircraft, just for a change. I also started work on this beautiful bust from Young Miniatures.

To add some extra texture to the hessian bags to store the grenades, I covered the bags in tissue paper soaked in white gluer and water to create a rougher texture. I've also been experimenting with the hairspray paint chipping technique (hence my work on the tanks) and used it on the helmet and mess kit. I must admit the results look quite realistic.

Still a long way to go, but I'm enjoying this one.

IMG_4530.JPG IMG_4531.JPG IMG_4532.JPG IMG_4533.JPG IMG_4534.JPG
    lancer115, Nicolaos, akaryu and 17 others like this.
  2. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    This is just another example of the high quality painting you produce, hats off to you, it's looking great
    Regards
    Chris.
    tonydawe and anstontyke like this.
  3. alexandre1 Member

France
    You are incredibly gifted, awesome work and very impressive painting job.
    tonydawe and anstontyke like this.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Impressive and inspirational as I am just starting Carl Reid's 75mm WWI Germans.
    Mike Stevens, tonydawe and anstontyke like this.
  5. Chris Ribchester A Fixture

England
    Great work, helmet is very realistic looking.

Chris
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The addition of the tissue paper and white glue to the hessian bags is excellent. Makes me wonder what the same treatment but using a rough news print art paper might look like.

The chipped and discolored helmet is also nicely done!

All the best,
    Dan
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Chris, thanks for your comments mate. ;)

Hi Alexandre, you're too kind mate. I really appreciate our comments. :p

Hi Matthew, thanks buddy. Good luck with those 75mm Germans. Carl's a great sculptor and those are wonderful figures you've chosen.;)

Hi Chris, thanks mate. The helmet is a focus for this bust, so I'm really pleased you think it looks realistic. That's what I was aiming for.(y)

Hi Dan, thanks buddy. I like to use tissue paper rather than thicker print paper because tissue paper is so thin and conforms to the contours of the surface of the bust easily. It is fragile and can tear easily, but its worth it. I'd like to see how your experiments with print paper turn out. :D

I did a bit more last night. Added some oils to the face to emphasise the highlights on the cheek bones and around the mouth, and straightened up the eyes which weren't quite symmetrical. I'm still doing the stippling on the great coat to try and replicate the rough woollen texture. More shading required, but its starting to look OK.
    Stormtrooper 1.jpg Stormtrooper 2.jpg Stormtrooper 3.jpg Stormtrooper 4.jpg Stormtrooper 5.jpg
  8. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great Tony. The helmet is awesome, and the face is great; I think you've really captured the intensity there.

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke and tonydawe like this.
  9. Ardennen Member

Stunning Tony! I like the texture of the face - a great work!

Regards,

Erik
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Amazing work Tony
    It looks brilliant now let alone that He's not finished.
    Watching Mate
    Keith
  11. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work Tony!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  12. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Tony, you nailed that " I've seen a lot of ugly shit" look to him(y)!

Joe
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Phil, thanks mate. I wanted to capture that 1000 yard stare and show that intensity in the eyes. I'm glad you think I managed to get it.;)

Hi Erik, thanks very much for your comments. (y)

Hi Keith, hopefully he'll get better as he becomes more complete. I'm still working on the shading on the coat and the leather straps, and have yet to add any of the accoutrements or the rifle.:D

Hi Jeff, thank you. Hopefully the next pics will show further improvements.:)

Hi Joe, yes mate, that was the look I wanted to capture. Once I add some dirt and sweat stains to the face and uniform, I hope he'll look suitably dishevelled and war-weary.(y)
    anstontyke and phil_h like this.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is going to the extreme painting.
    Looking forward to the next pictures.

Marc
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking Good Tony! I'll follow with interest.
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc, thank you for your comments. I am trying to push myself to improve with every bust and figure. I appreciate your encouragement. ;)

Hi Mike, thanks buddy.:)

I've attached some progress pics to show where I got to last night. I'm still working on the gas mask, but the rifle and canteen are now finished and added.

Once the gas mask is finished, I'll attack the bust with oil washes and pastels to add the dirt and grime.

Stormtrooper 6.jpg Stormtrooper 7.jpg Stormtrooper 8.jpg Stormtrooper 9.jpg Stormtrooper 10.jpg Stormtrooper 11.jpg Stormtrooper 12.jpg Stormtrooper 13.jpg
  17. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent finish on that helmet Tony.
    However, the face with that haunted look in those eyes is absolutely magnificent.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    anstontyke, alexandre1 and tonydawe like this.
  18. alexandre1 Member

France
    Thoses eyes ! It is exactly what described ErnstvonSalomon in 1918 about veteran German soldier coming back from the front in Germany.as they were not considered as heroes by the German civils, after having suffered and seen so much atrocities : they look like having deep hole in the eyes, under the helmet...
    anstontyke likes this.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Andrew and Alexandre,

I really appreciate your comments gentlemen.

Here are the final pics of this bust.

The photos were taken while the oil wash was still drying which is why it looks a bit shiny.:facepalm:

Stormtrooper 14.jpg Stormtrooper 15.jpg Stormtrooper 16.jpg Stormtrooper 17.jpg Stormtrooper 18.jpg
  20. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

Hi Tony,

I've just look to all topic, amazing how you progressed with every stage. If possible, please, put some photos when oils are completely dried.
    Warm congrats!
    Nicolae
    anstontyke likes this.