1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP George Washington - Vintage Airfix

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tinseltown, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Project 10 - "George Washington" – American War of Independence, 1775.
    Started Nov 10th - Prep phase

With the Belgae diorama finished, I hopped into my time machine and fast forwarded 18+ centuries to the year 1775, for a figure that needs no introduction. George Washington will be accompanied by two foot soldiers (Ringo and Paul). The great thing about the soldiers is that they are, to a limited extent, multi-pose, with two sets of arms and an array of possible weaponry. And a flag, of course.

You can read in the “About” section of my Facebook blog why I have a soft spot for these vintage Airfix models. With a bit of patience, luck and targeted surfing you too can pick up these old kits at fairly reasonable prices, but beware of some sellers offering these at frankly ridiculous prices (not including P&P), sometimes 30 euros and over. There’s currently a George W. on Ebay, priced 51 euros!!!!

In my opinion you should never ever pay more than 10-15 euros for infantry/mounted models. They are rarish, but not thàt rare. In fact, I don’t think I paid more than 20 euros for the three figures combined.

54 mm
    plastic

Project 10 - George Washington - prep 002.JPG

George Washington – Airfix 02554-8
    The original figure was issued in 1974. Mine is a rebox from 1980.

2 x American Soldier 1775 – Airfix Collectors Series 01555-8
    Several issues between 1974-1979

Project 10 - George Washington - prep 007.JPG

Attached Files:

marco55, yeo_64, Manfred and 9 others like this.
  2. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    This looks like a nice project to follow. will it be another 11 day - start to finish:D

regards Zane
    Tinseltown likes this.
  3. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love these Airfix collectors series kits - always have and can't help having a few in reserve. Hoping that they will be rereleased in the future, surely Airfix must know they are popular.
    Always thought the George Washington kit was ideal as a base figure for all sorts if 18th century conversion possibilities but never tried any.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Cheers
    Mat
    Tinseltown likes this.
  4. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree Mat. I grew up with these, Segom, and Historex kits. I wish they would re-release all of the Collectors series and the Multi-Pose lines.
    Tinseltown likes this.
  5. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Go for it! I have quite a few of these kits in storage and may be tempted to do the same! I love the "bite" of the old Airfix and Historex plastic when you cut into the material to do conversions.

Rgds Victor
    yeo_64, Tinseltown and Mark S like this.
  6. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Cool man, love the ol Airfix figures. I've never seen the Washington figure made up so this will be a treat.
    Tinseltown likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I did these when I was about 12... would love to see a more up to date take on these old classics.
    They ARE great for conversions... so easy to work with. I have about 15 of the Napoleonic mounted series waiting to be chopped for a big diorama. Picked them up at the shows last year for $5-$10 each... great, inexpensive base for converting.

Following this project with interest

Colin
    Tinseltown and Chris Mortimer like this.
  8. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    very interesting
    Tinseltown likes this.
  9. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Thanks, guys, for all your kind comments and interest :)

These two, and the English Civil War figures, are probably the only ones I never made when I was around that age, Colin. So a bit curious myself as to how they will turn out. Curious about that diorama of yours, as well ;-)

Well, chop chop, on to work now.
  10. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    And then there are Multipose figures too...more Airfix classics with huge conversion potential.
    Tinseltown likes this.
  11. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    001 (Large).JPG

Basic assembly of the figures and horse. Washington has not been glued down on the horse yet, nor has the saddle, rest assured. This is just for Presentation Purposes, right. :)

002 (Large).JPG

One soldier will be carrying either a musket or the flag (a lot will depend on whether the flag will turn out to be any good), the other one a saber.

I've repurposed the legs of one of the gentlemen, so as not to end up with similar stances, even though the arms and weaponry will be totally different.

003 (Large).JPG
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Great choice, I have this kit, too. Well, most of it, mixed with bits from other Airfix kits, plus a dollhouse chair in about 1/20 that was in the box. I agree with the rest of the Airfix crowd, these kits are great material for conversions. They do finish up nicely, out-of-box, too. I look forward to your progress on this project!

Prost!
    Brad
    Tinseltown likes this.
  13. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Prep phase 3, also known as the "Vlad the Impaler" Phase.

This is the phase - boring and full of promise in equal measure - in which everything Fades to Grey (who remembers Visage, eh), and yes, if any ladies are present, I did resist the Shades pun.

Priming in grey and close-up photography unfortunately reveal all sorts of ugly seams which can hardly be seen with the naked eye, and certainly not with MY naked eyes. And yes, I've seen the stray hair on the horse's neck

Project 10 - George Washington - grey 001.JPG Project 10 - George Washington - grey 002.JPG Project 10 - George Washington - grey 003.JPG Project 10 - George Washington - grey 004.JPG Project 10 - George Washington - grey 005.JPG
  14. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    This project has all the makings of the Back to Reality stage in a newbie (or rebootie) painter's career. Beginner's luck is now firmly off the table, stagnation is creeping in, frustration lurking just around the corner. But as a famous tv character once said, Patience, Grasshopper

I've decided to finish the three figures one by one now, instead of gradually across the three. The main reasons being: trying to avoid boredom, having something more or less presentable every now and then, but also, trying to better techniques or avoid mistakes from figure to figure. If, in the end, there's a noticeable difference in quality because of this approach, so be it. But there won't be, I wager, hehe.

Sorry to the completionists, I skipped a few stages in the process, basically 14 (not a rhetorical exaggeration, alas) reworkings of the horse's coat, until I just gave up. Skills cannot be forced.

Project 10 - George Washington - 1st footman 001 (Large).JPG
    blaster, Wings5797, Babelfish and 3 others like this.
  15. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    All kitted out. Guy One, that is. Onto George W and Guy Two.

Project 10 - George Washington - 1st footman done 006.JPG
  16. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Great idea(y) For kits in the 40+year range, they really aren't that bad, are they?
  17. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    i started modelling using airfix as they were cheap and very well detailed, and fairly easy to convert. I still use them. / badger
  18. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I like that vintage kits, thanks.
    Tinseltown likes this.
  19. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Thanks for the kind comments, all, much appreciated!

Project 10 - George Washington - George 008.JPG

Well, George is as good as done, I'm waiting to apply final touches when he's in the saddle. Some sharp observers may notice a discrepancy between Box Art George and My Boy George, but when I did some research, most of the paintings I came across showed the Prez in a cream-coloured uniform, not white at all.

1-2-AD1-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0j4z5-a_349.jpg

Attached Files:

Blind Pew, Mike S., yeo_64 and 2 others like this.
  20. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Project 10 - "George Washington" – American War of Independence, 1775.
    Started Nov 10th - On Your Horse, George Phase.

He could've turned out a lot better. He could've turned out a lot worse. To my utter bewilderment, the rider again did NOT fit the saddle. Anymore, I need to add, as I was desperate to avoid the mistake I'd made with the two Scots Greys and I painstakingly dry-fitted everything in the prep phase, when everything fit very snugly. Amazingly, come the final phase, that perfect fit had magically disappeared. Sheer voodoo.

Project 10 - George Washington - George 006.JPG

Attached Files:

blaster, Wings5797, Blind Pew and 5 others like this.