1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

George Armstrong Custer, 1876 70mm

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Edorta, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    MalcC, marco55, Stephan and 6 others like this.
  2. BobLff257 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well this one slipped through my net, I am surprised that it hasn't attracted more comments. Sculpted by the very capable hands of Raul G. L . resulting in a very good rendition of G. A. Custer. Good likeness and a pensive pose. Not sure the time frame 1876 as I think he is wearing his ACW uniform and insignia, but I could be wrong.....again! Great work none the less, well done.

Rob (y)
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Beautifull work on this classic.

Marc
  4. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

Nice figure but two issues...one, what is holding the hat up?
    Two, it looks like the front flap of the coat is on the wrong side and opens from the left. While that's what appears in the photo, many ACW period photos have been repeatedly printed in reverse with gun locks appearing to be on the wrong side of the musket.
    Here's a photo of Custer where the flap is correct: [IMG]
    and a pair of examples of how images of Custer as a West Point cadet have been clearly reversed:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    And finally, this photo with Libby: [IMG]
    garyhiggins, billyturnip and crf like this.
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Maybe, this was not his usual dress at that time, but he choose it for the photo.:unsure:

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
  6. mick3272 A Fixture

Many years ago I read a book that gave the Indian side to the Battle of the little big horn allegedly taken from stories of some of those Indians who took part. Truth or Mith I know not but it did say that at the battle Custer had his hair shaved off, and his golden lock were not to be seen. ????

Mick
    garyhiggins likes this.
  7. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

The book may have been CUSTER FALLS. Interesting read which suggests Custer may have been one of the first casualties rather than among the last. It's pretty well documented that he did have a much shorter haircut for the Little Big Horn Expedition of 1876. There is some speculation he cut it to become less of a target/trophy.
    garyhiggins and mick3272 like this.
  8. mick3272 A Fixture

The name of the book doesn't ring a bell. But I do recall now you mention it about him being one of the first casualties. Whatever the name of the book was I read it in the early 70s.
    Thanks Mick
    garyhiggins likes this.
  9. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I've got to have one of these.:)
    Roll on Euro

Malc
    Dennis likes this.
  10. Dennis Active Member

England
    Me too Malc, see you there.
    Dennis
    MalcC likes this.
  11. Noel Walker Active Member

Actually there is a theory put forth by forensic pathologist that he may have took his own life in the end
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Many years ago, I saw another figure of Custer where he was making some VERY obscene gestures towards the Indians. Suffice to say that it required the dropping of his trousers :(.
    I read the indian's "version" of Little Big Horn inLook and Learn comic when I was a kid in the 60's.
    Regards, Gary.
  13. Andy Garringer New Member

I have read many books on Custer during his Civil War years and also during the Indian Wars. The photo posted above of Custer taken in the studio on May23, 1865 by Matthew Brady and is indeed flipped/reversed because that is the way some of the early photography worked.

Custer is known to have cut his hair short, not shaved on many occasions and I have seen photos of him with hair short in the following years: 1861, 1862, 1864, 1868, 1869, 1872, 1874, 1875 and 1876.

As far as Custer committing suicide at the battle of the Little Bighorn, this is a rumor that is usually started by his critics. Custer had two bullet wounds on his body, one in his left great which was bloody an the other in his left temple which was not. Custer was right handed and if he were to shoot himself I'm guessing it would have been in his right temple. Other say his brother Tom might have shot him but my guess it was probably a pistol round into his head by one of the warriors or Indian women after the battle as was a customary things. There are other rumored things to have been done to his body after the battle as well. Most of the soldiers were horribly disfigured afterwards especially Tom who could only be identified by his tattoo TLC on his arm.