1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique General Patton - 1/9 bust - Legends&Lore

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Filipe, May 9, 2013.

1. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Friends from pF

Another recently finished figure that i hadn´t posted here yet.

[IMG]

General George S. Patton was one of the most famous generals of recent times, i think that the subject doesn´t requires a "historical background".

This bust is based not on the real Patton, but on the George C. Scott interpretation of him on the great movie Patton (1970). More specifically, on the iconic intro scene, of the Patton speech, with medals, spurs, etc.

This bust was a "long quest", since is no longer in production.

The base is made of olive wood, great quality, by our Xenofon here at planetFigure. Services recommeded (y) .Painting in acrylics and, for the face, some details in oils, like the beard shadow.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Any comments and critics are welcome.

Regards to all,

Filipe
    Grod, Kisifer and crf like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work, but in my opinion you have to fix you more on the blending of the colors.
    For instance: the face, the blue and the red are not equaal painted. It looks a bit patchy.
    Maybe to help you further can you tell us what paint you use??

Marc
  3. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Marc

Thank you for your comment. As usual, you always answer my threads. :)

I use Vallejo. For the beard, i used oil, Payne´s Grey.

Any help will be apreciated, but the sculpture doesn´t allowed much shadows and highlights (the back is almost flat!)

Regards,

Filipe :)
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I hope somebody jumps in for the acrylic.
    I only use them as underpaint.

Marc
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Filipe ,

Its good to see a version of this hard to find piece , as I am an Acrylics fella , I like the sash effect , perhaps more blending on the flesh as Marc said , I think the uniform could be a bit darker perhaps .

I would put a wash over the hair/eyebrows

The neck ribbon and sash look glossy are these in Oils ?

Medals look good (when I did mine it seemed it was never ending!!!!) , I would line them a little , perhaps with a dark wash .

Here's my link to my WIP http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/patton-wip.34900/watch-confirm

How did you do the helmet have you gone for paint effects (ie reflections) ?

The model is a good likeness , more of the actor though .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  6. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Kev

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, my friend. I will review the figure and post some new pictures soon, specially about the medals (i will use yours for reference)

The sash wore made in acrylics and inks. I gave them this finish because the originals are in satin, so...

The helmet do not have effects. Only three generous coats of varnish, since Patton´s helmet was very, VERY, shinny :D

Regards

Filipe
  7. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Good work
    Medals seems a bit rusty to me, as if coming of a drawer were they lay for some years
    A dry brushing gold (or silver according to the medal ) with pure Humbrol like paints perhaps
  8. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Friends from pF, specially Nap

Here are the new photos. I improved the underlines of the medals and made little light points at the helmet stars, and also made the medals a little more "shinny" as Mirosof suggested.

I decided to not do anything about the face, because it could be risky.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Again, comments and critics are most welcome. And, again, i cannot recommend enough Xenofon´s olive wood bases.

Regards to all

Filipe
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    First of all I would like to thank you Filipe for the critique on my bases :)
    Secondly I must say that i see big improvement from the first photos. So I believe you are on the right track.

Xenofon
  10. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Seems very glossy,some dullcoat might help tie some of this together.
  11. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    I somewhat disagree. It is not a likeness of General George S. Patton; it gets close to being a likeness of George C. Scott, but essentially misses on both counts.
    :happy:
  12. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Xenofon

No need to thank, my friend. :happy:

Sd0324

As i said previously, the gloss parts are intentional, due to the finish of the original sashes. :happy:

Filipe