1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

General consensus

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by R Dominick, May 10, 2018.

1. R Dominick PlanetFigure Supporter

I am restarting a figure manufacturing company that has been on hiatus for awhile. I have been debating on whether I should start a new website or just use something like a face book store or possibly even both. Any thoughts by other manufacturers and figure buyers is greatly appreciated.
    Mike S. likes this.
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    The question is difficult to respond to with so little information. Is there an existing web site, if so a link so we could have a look. If we don't know what you do we can't really help.
    Nap and DaddyO like this.
  3. R Dominick PlanetFigure Supporter

I am restarting the business so there is no longer a website from before. If there was an existing website I would just keep it and add the face book store. If I can achieve the same traffic and orders from a face book store type page than a website than it would be easier an cheaper to just go with that option.
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm with Ken - It's difficult to offer anything constructive with so little to go on.
    Is it a large range or just a few figures initially? International or domestic sales? Short run or limited edition kits or a range that people will instantly recognise? Speaking personally I like to see a website which has pictures and prices., but understand why you might be tempted by a quick fix like a FB store. Given the investment required to set up or even re-start a business ensuring you market to the widest audience possible especially at the start is crucial and not worth skimping on. A single page website doesn't take long or cost too much to set up and if you include contact links you can send price lists or catalogues as PDF's on request so it won't need constant updating.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    Paul

ps - I set up my own sign company 9 years ago after many years in the trade and have both a website and FB page. The website is great to refer customers to and is a constant sales tool. The FB page is a bit of an ongoing 'blog' of work, but still brings in a few enquiries.
    Nap likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Welcome to PF

.....it would be good to have a little more information but I prefer looking at a website with as Paul says pictures and details .

FB does IMO go out to a wider audience but can get more a bloggy WIP feel

Keep us all updated on how things are going

Nap
  6. Graham A Fixture

England
    Although millions are on Facebook, the current negative issues mean that many have deleted their accounts, myself included. I can see many more doing so in the future as the owner of Facebook is being very uncooperative with requests to stop fake advertising and other issues. It makes him too much money for him to worry about what govenments think. The recent half hearted change to security matters will do nothing to prevent others accessing your information.
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  7. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I ain't half glad I don't subscribe to any of them........:LOL:

Alan
    Huw63 likes this.
  8. hypertex Active Member

United-States
    Don't use a FB store. FB is unusable to those without an account. It reminds me of the early days of the internet when you had to chose between AOL and Compuserve. The users of one could not email users of the other. FB is a step backward in that regard.
    Babelfish likes this.
  9. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    I use FB to direct sales to the website. FB enables you to reach a niche market which is very useful. I find people like to see a website and it adds a degree of credibility to a company.
    Viking Bob likes this.