1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gaiters-metal or leather

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Cannonball, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi everyone, can anyone help with a query regarding the gaiters on the Mitches Military Models Berdan sharpshooter- there appears to be some kind of caliper or similar moulded onto the gaiter and can't find reference to it either in any books i have ( Troiani's Civil War/soldiers in America or US Infantry by Gregory Urwin) or photos on the net. Are they leather or metal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It looks metal. The 120mm WW1 Bombadier Driver, RFA, I did for Victory Miniatures has the standard metal re-inforcement plate on the outside of his right leg gaiter - still common practice in the RHA today. I'm not sure why the sharpshooter would have a metal plate on the inside of his gaiter, but it does appear to be a rigid structure.

Mike
  3. Squiremon PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    First hand accounts of USSS uniforms indicate "russet leather gaiters, buckled at the knee" Illustrations I have in my library show leather gaiters with pewter buttons on the outside of the gaiter with a buckle for the knee. No indication of any stays, metal or otherwise.
    winfield likes this.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    In all fairness boiled leather would appear as rigid as metal. especially in a figure. While not an expert in the area, it strikes me they may well be climbing calipers as seen here
    [IMG]
    Steve
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Mike/Squiremon/Steve,

Thanks for the responses- Steve, I did wonder if they were possibly a climbing aid in light of the tree setting for the figure but wasn't sure due to the lack of any teeth/spikes etc.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    They're kept smooth as to provide a friction type grip, spikes etc can easily stay stuck in wood with disastrous consequences as you can imagine.
    Steve
  8. Squiremon PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Sorry I misinterpreted your request, until I looked at the figure. They are indeed climbing irons. They were primarily used by telegraphers to climb telegraph poles in the field. In my Civil War Collectors Encyclopedia one is identified as being 13 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide, with a pointed spike 1 1'2 inches in length. Found in a Confederate camp in Front Royal, Virginia.
    clrsgt and billyturnip like this.