1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

FRONTIERSMAN - Romeo Models

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by maco61, Apr 13, 2012.

1. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Hi friends of PF.
    Here the new figure of April 2012 from Romeo Models.
    Title: FRONTIERSMAN - America XVIII Cent.
    item: RM - 75 - 22
    Sculpture - Maurizio Bruno
    Panter - Andrea Terzolo
    Material: White metall and Resin
    Scale: 75 mm.
    Ciao by Maco

Attached Files:

mao, outrunthedogs, Steve and 11 others like this.
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nicely sculpted. Too bad the figure has some serious accuracy issues. ~Gary
    Steve likes this.
  3. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    You can also create a scene with RM - 75 - 23
    Ciao by Maco

Attached Files:

4. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

Agreed, very nicely sculpted, but something about it leaves me cold, even though this is one of my favorite periods.
  5. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm not seeing the issues you are seeing could elaborate?
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Not my favorite period, but I would say they look awesome sculpted.

marc
  7. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Gary,

It seems to me that it is better to not simply say something has "serious accuracy issues" without stating what they are. Constructive criticism is fantastic and it will help our European friends to better depict the real, accurate Colonial period here in North America. I've known you for 20+ years and am aware that you have a lot of knowledge to share with both the manufacturers and the painting public who might buy this kit and wish to make changes to improve it's accuracy. I know you are a man of few words but this is the time to share them and not simply dismiss the kit. I'm sure that was not your intention and we all value your input. You have proven that many times including today with Andy's Woodland Indian project.

Jim
  8. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Superb sculpt as usual. :) Bravo amici.

Xenofon
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I totally agree with you Jim. I had something all typed out with lots of pictures. Unfortunately I hit the wrong button and when I hit the back button it was all gone. Just got off the nightshift and am now not quite in the mood to retype everything. I'll try again this afternoon. ~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The figure is well sculpted. While this and my previous comment were unsolicited it's hard to not critique a subject that I've studied and had an interest in for several years. Given that I far from consider myself any kind of authority on the subject. So if you like the figure as it is great. In no way am I trying to discourage anyone from purchasing it. I do find that the clothing, especially the shirt do not reflect the period as well as they could have. Here are the parts of the figure that stand out as needing a bit of work.

Hat Though knit or other soft caps or tuques were worn this cap looks a bit too sack-like in appearance. A round hat or slouch type hat might have been alternative.

Shirt and Waistcoat The shirt seemed very odd to me, especially the unusually wide openings that look more like sleeves on a robe rather than a shirt. An alternative choice might have been to have an every day shirt with a rifle shirt/ frock worn over top with the sleeves rolled up. A single shirt with a waistcoat is okay too. The construction of the waistcoat looks a bit unusual. Maybe the intention was to depict a somewhat homemade look. It's hard to see if the figure has a knife or tomahawk suspended from the belt worn underneath the waistcoat. If not, the belt does not serve much of a purpose.

Breeches and leggings The breeches look okay and the legging look like the "country boot" type that consisted of pieces from a blanket for example that could be tied closed. Indian style leggings would not look out of place on this figure.

Shoes The shoes here look more like those from the 19th century rather than the 18th century. The should not raise up above the ankle like they do here. I like the fact that they are shoes with ties, though buckled shoes might seem more common. Given that the figure is a Frontiersman moccasins may have been more appropriate.

Musket and equipment The musket appears to be a French musket, possibly even a Model 1728 type. An early long rifle or fowling piece could be a better alternative. The shot or hunting pouch is okay, though there are other flap styles that are a bit more interesting for the period. The gourd work good as a canteen and there are a few ways a blanket roll could have been carried. The blanket could be rolled around a leather belt with a buckle or carried using a tumpline. The blanket was rolled around the tumpline which when worn wrapped around the shoulders and passed over the chest.

Historical artist David Wright paints great representaions of Frontiersmen, Longhunters, Woodsmen, trappers etc. These images may help to better explain my comments. `gary

I find this portrait interesting as the subject is bareheaded. The subject is also wearing an everyday shirt with a rifle shirt/ frock over top.
    view.jpg

While this figure might be well at home on the cover of a historical romance nove it is a nice depiction of the clothing worn by Frontersmen/ Loghunters. Note that his shirt closes by way of a sash.
    view5.jpg

The following three figures are clothed very much the same with some slight variations.
    view6.jpg

view7.jpg

viewCATN9KL2.jpg

view2.jpg

This pen and ink drawing by Historical Artist/ illustrator Gary Zaboly shows haw a blanket carried by a tumpline looked.

RANGER KNAPSACK AND TUMPLINE PACK.jpg  RZ.jpg
    Steve likes this.
  11. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary, thank you for elaborating. Looking at the figure and your critique, I am willing to bet that the fgure is inspired (though not an exact copy of ) Daniel Day Lewis in The Last of the Mohicans. If you Google it you will see similarities. That said, it is still a nice looking figure IMO, and will probably make it into my grey army. Again thank you for the explanation, it will be useful f and when I get around to this figure.
  12. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Now that is a bunch of very useful information and what I knew you had in your arsenal of research. As a person who knows little of this period I looked at the two figures and saw quite nice little bits of sculpture. Now that we have more insight they are still nice but we have ideas of how to make them better, or at least stand out from others on the tables at shows. Thanks Gary.

Jim
  13. custer760 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    now that is what I love about this forum,I am always expecting comments from Gary when a figure from this period hits the market and was a little shocked when just a couple of negative words came from him, but once again he followed it up with his expert knowledge and again came through with the goods.I too think that this is a brilliant sculpt and one which I will buy for sure, maybe also a couple of changes as suggested by you Gary, many thanks once again for your excellent references and research...Always appreciated, even though not always mentioned.
    Regards
    Pete
    jccraemer likes this.
  14. jccraemer Member

United-States
    Nice looking figure makes me want to step out of comfort zone.
  15. IronMike A Fixture

I like it as well as the 60th guy
  16. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Here is the Randy Steele "Fort Duquesne’s Sentrys" painting, which was an artistic inspiration for this figure.
    [IMG]