1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Tirailleurs Marocain

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    French 7th Tirailleurs Marocain Regiment

As most of you know, I really like taking Great War period illustrations and photos and adapting them for figures.

This is a 1/16th scale WIP of two figures from Dessin's period illustration of "Colonial Soldiers". I've just started it. I plan to add part of a floor and wall and door as background, just as shown in the illustration.

The heads and hands are Verlinden and everything else is Magic Sculpt or a mix of MS and Duro. Both figures are wearing red caps called chechia. One chechia has the unit insignia of the 7th. The Tirailleurs Marocain would have probably been wearing uniforms and coats of moutarde khaki by the time Dessin painted these two.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I like the juxtaposition of colonial north africans in the harsh european winter. This is coming along nicely Dan.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This looks interesting Dan. I'll have a look and see if I have any useful references.... not like the Schutztruppe... too late.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tony and Roger - Many thanks! Tony - I've wanted to do a French colonial for years. Found the Dessin illustration and it says so much about comradeship and mutual suffering in so little space, I was hooked. I hope I can do it justice.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Dan,

Its a neat concept, like most of your stuff! I think you need to rework the mannequins though as the body language is paramount in a scene like this. The fella with the backback getting adjusted need to be showing the weight from the backpack when he is leaning forward. Look at the illustration and you can see how his legs are straight, and he have no bend in the knees, which your mannequin does, this would add a lot un necessary weight to the knees. Also check the proportions on the arms, especially from the elbows to the knuckles, it is way to long, especially on the figure getting the pack adjusted.

Hope this helps.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Anders - Thanks for your critique! The photo is a bit misleading because both figures are not placed flat against the workboard, but you're definitely right about the leaning figure on the right. His knees are bent and should not be. As for the hands on both figures, I don't intend to use more than part of the palm on any of them, so I'll cut them back and put new fingers on them. I will check the proportions on the arms also. Won't be able to do this until the weekend because I'm away from home traveling on business this week. I'm posting from the Clarion Hotel in Waco, TX on the guest PC.

When I've got the corrections made, I'll re-post and try to get the figures flat-footed in the next photo.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan: I really admire your courage. . .

Hi Dan:

Wow, another really challenging vignette with these two figures. I know
    nothing about this historical period, but I really like the idea of two figures
    from a period that isn't Napoleonic, WWI or WWII, that is the main
    combatants. Something different. I would guess anytime you sculpt a figure
    that isn't standing straight up and down, it is harder to deal with getting the
    anatomy correct. And of course, Anders alluded to that point with the bend of
    the back, et cetera.

It must be great to have that kind of talent and be willing to start out on
    something that wont be easy, for sure. I'll follow this one very closely, and
    feel sure you will keep us up to date with WIP and SBS images/text.

have fun, The Jayhawk
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Jayhawk - At the risk of sounding pompous and trite, life is too short not to take artistic risks. You have to keep stretching or risk atrophy. This is not to say I haven't thrown putty against the nearest wall in frustration - I have. OFTEN! :)
    And probably will again!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Dan,

Yeah I saw the feet were not placed properly on the base, but my comments still stand. The hands do look a bit big, but can be changed when you carve off the fingers. The measurement from the top of the shoulder to the elbow, and from the elbow to the knuckles should be the same, so you can gauge this with the hands currently on the figures.

Another thing you might want to look at is the trousers, they look a bit too bulky and undefined, try to carve them down some and refine the folds and bulk, it will make for amuch more convincing look.

If you are in Waco you are not very far from here. If you'd get the chance,come by and I'll show you a couple of things.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Anders - I'll take a look at all your points when I get back to Omaha. I've noticed the position of the arms in comparison to the illustration is wrong and I need to correct that also. Waco IS fairly close to Alpine, but working for my employer, I think they might get...uh...concerned...if I unexpectedly took a side trip to Alpine. Wish I could! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Dan,

I am acctually just south of Dallas, like 70 miles or something from Waco. I think it's about an hour and half or so. Alpine would be a bit of a hike, probably 7 hours or so!
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Anders - ?? Your write-up below your name indicates Alpine, Texas. I thought that's where you were.

All the best,
    Dan
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Oh yea! Forgot to change it! Moved to the Dallas/Ft Worth Area a year and a half ago!
  14. renarts Active Member

United-States
    The authorities were about to catch up with him in Alpine.....I think you blew his cover.

Looks great Dan. I look forward to what you do next. Though, I think I would have taken the employer risk to work with Anders for a day.
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Geeee Thanks Mike....way to spoil everything...now I have to move again...
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dan, you certainly pick some different subjects, looking forward to seeing how this progresses. (y)

Cheers Ken
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Mike, Ken and Anders - Thanks guys!

Last night I re-measured both figures and am cutting and re-positioning. I think mostly the leaning figure was mis-positioned. Peculiar position. He's leaning back, ankles slightly flexed, knees locked and bending forward at the waist. The left hand and arm (the one away from the viewer in the illustration) is holding the upper part of the Lebel and the right hand and arm - not sure what it's doing.

I've also changed the backpack itself to make it look like a belt is being tightened.

Thanks for the comment about picking good scenes to portray. There are so many I'd like to do! If you are ever in need of a suggestion, drop me a line.

All the best,
    Dan
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Great Subject, Dan !

Hi Dan :D,
    Another GREAT subject sculpt, my friend (y)(y)(y) ! Your choice of WW1 armies to portray in large scale never fails to amaze me ;). Looking forward to the revised sculpts, my friend. You're right, life is too short not to try new stuff on the artistic front. Cheers !
    Kenneth :).
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kenneth! Man, I'm glad you sculpted that little newspaper boy!

All the best,
    Dan
  20. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Dan,

Just got back from a trip. No way you are sneaking this one past me. Excellent subject matter. One minor comment would be to reduce the size of the shoes. I can't wait to see you bulk up these figures with the greatcoats and shoulder packs.

rgds Vic