1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Revolutionary 1789

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Patrick Kamsma, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Here she is, Pegaso's 75mm French Revolutionary. The one with the boob hanging out.;)
    Figure was ready for EuroMilitaire but didn't had any chance to shoot some pictures.

First time fleshtones with oils. The rest is acrylic.
    With my previous miniature I had a bit of critism that there was not enough contrasts in my whites.
    So I tried to be a bit more extreme in my white in the flag.
    Hope you like it.

Grtz
    Patrick

Attached Files:

Wings5797, came, DEL and 13 others like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The piece itself does absolutely nothing for me. Not Pegaso's finest hour by any means. Contrived and cliched, and I don't think the face is particularly well sculpted. The left leg looks odd-shaped and too thin as well, although that may just be the camera angle.

But all that said, you've done a very nice paint job on it, and the flag looks great. The shading & highlighting on the cape also look spot on to me.

- Steve
    Patrick Kamsma likes this.
  3. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Patrick, a great improvement to your previous piece.
    If I may offer a tip for getting the balance right with regard to contrast/shading of whites. Keep a piece of white cotton (old t-shirt) or heavy cartridge paper handy.....works for all colours by the way.
    Introduce similar folds in to it, so it resembles what you are painting, then shine a light from the same angle you are portraying in the figure/flag etc., which will give you an accurate idea of how far to go with the shading/contrast.
    Hope this helps.

Ron
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Patrick,
    I like it.
    Cheers
    John
    Patrick Kamsma likes this.
  5. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Thnx for the tip, Ron.
    Didn't think of that.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Patrick, I saw it at euro and liked it very much (y)
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Heel erg mooi werkje. Heb er is goed naar gekeken op Euro, en ik stond ervan versteld.
    Als je het wit nog meer opgehaald heb dan ben ik ervan overtuigd dat het nog beter geworden is.
    Zou hetzelfde aan de schaduwkant doen, dus donkerder, Vooral in het diepste van de vouw.

Marc
  8. Ferris A Fixture

I really like the flag. Colours seem right, including of shades and highlights. If you'd indeed push the contrast slightly, the flag will be excellent. I think you only need to add some extremes in selected places, the midtones and smoothness of transitions look perfect.

Groeten,
    Adrian
  9. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Thnx Smudger, Marc and Adrian.

Adrian I heard you are coming to SMC next weekend.
    You can witness this one in real live. She will be on the competitiontables.

If you want to join the competition I would like to ask you if you want to pre register your models.
    It saves us lots of work during the show.
    You can pre register till sunday oct. 6th.
    Check www.scalemodelfactory.nl
    Smc2013 pages -> wedstrijd (Or competition)
    Link at the bottom.

Grtz Patrick
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Will indeed be there and will pre-register tonight. Just three entries this time, too many distractions the past year.

See you there, cheers,
    Adrian
  11. steve j Active Member

England
    i think the flesh is too dark looks like a bloke in drag
  12. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thnx Steve.
    Photo's are a bit too dark indeed.
    I have some in progress pics, the face was ready though. They we're photographed against a white background.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Like "it" as it is
    Enough shading for me
  14. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I think you have done a very nice job on this figure . I personally like the figure and will give it a go at some stage. I find female flesh tones easier with acrylics and an airbrush base, and I am an Oiler from way back !
  15. samonac New Member

Nice patriot :)
    Sam
  16. swralph A Fixture