1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP French Mounted Chasseur Gi

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by ivopreda, Aug 13, 2012.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome paintwork Ivo,
    These colors are outstanding.

Marc
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ivo,
    That horse is gorgeous.
    Cheers
    John
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    HI Ivo, I'm just about to start on a Horse, what did you use as the "Earth" colour for the Horse and what did you use as the undercoat. Hope you can help....Keith
  4. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    the figure is finished,

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
    it has been painted less contrasted and not really with the actual fashion, I wanted to paint a figure that remember the good old lead soldier also if in a more modern view.

I found a pleasure that was since a long time out
    I hope you enjoyed it.

criticism and comments are as always welcome
    Edward likes this.
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Ivo, I really like this natural look, we are going through a period of Forced Highlights and shadows which may catch the judges eye at shows but bear no relationship to the reality of how clothing looks. I suppose it is just an artistic phase....wonder what the next one will be;)
    I would be very interested in your base colour for the horse, and the "Earth" colour Sepia?

Keith
  6. druss81 Active Member

Italy
    Hi Ivo,
    great paintjob. I like for instance the subtle work you did with lights and shadows. I agree that a high contrast may be useful to catch the eye of judges, but a paintjob like yours leads to a more elegant and balanced result.
    Thumbs up!

M
  7. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    Keith,

I was sure to have answer you... mistake...

earth colour are simply all the colour that have as base the earth. in the attachment you can see which colour i've used to paint these horse ( and practically all the horses chestnut and bay).
    The used colour has a red dot closer

good work

Attached Files:

8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great job on a beautiful figure (Guard Chassuer a Cheval is possibly my favourite uniform). I really like your style of painting, Keep the highs and lows subtle and let the actual light work on the contours of the sculpture. I find sometimes the forced highlight style can be a little over the top and even get "cartoonish"

Again, Fantastic work

Colin
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Also may I ask what scale this is? I have a 54mm Metal Models Chasseur but the pose is slightly different.

CJ
  10. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    Is the 54 MM I only changed the right arm holding the sword
    I don't like the original version and I preferred to put the sword more in parade style. I also removed the details referred to the bayonet and musket
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    That's the difference all right... the original arm does look a little stiff.
  12. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Only just seen this sbs - absolutely superb.
    Cheers
    Mat
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You are right Colin the over extended highlights and shadows do look like Manga cartoons never seen so many white black faces.

Great work Ivo(y)

Ron
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    quoto colin pure io eccellente lavoro
  15. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    excellent/badger