1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Fusilier Marins 1915 - WIP 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Here are the next stages of the Marins. I've made all the corrections recommended by Anders Heintz and two or three more. The chubbier figure now has both bootsoles flat on the ground. Knees and elbows are now (by measurement) in the right places. I've added some of the double-breasted coats to both figures with more to follow. To refresh your memory, the chubbier figure is bending over looking thru a trench periscope and the other one has one bootsole up on the firestep and one in the trench bottom. I've also started the groundwork in papier mache'.

As usual, constructive critique and comments are welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work Dan,
    The guy who is standing up is awesome. Just some small corrections on his coat at the back, specially the folds ???
    The other guy has (forgive me it is a profession abnormality from me) O curved legs. It is possible the angle of the camera.
    But as always, i cannot sculpt, and try to make some color on figures.

Marc
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marc, Thanks for the comment! All the folds still have to be cleaned up. Also, since I haven't added field equipment yet, some of the folds don't look right now, but will make sense when the leather harness is added.

I think what you are seeing is mostly the camera angle. The guy that is bent over is leaning to one side with one leg bent at the knee quite a bit more than the other. Also one foot is farther forward than the other. I tried the position myself and it's anatomically possible and, with one hand on your leg, not that uncomfortable. I think I've also created a bit of an optical illusion in that photo with one set of putties in black and the other in light yellow. Makes it difficult to judge distance. Both boots and putties are resin casts from a single D. J. Parkin kit. I noticed that one puttied lower leg was a lot slimmer than the other, so I built the slimmer one up using black paper tape. IMHO paper map tape, when you can find it, makes excellent putties. It looks nice and crinkly like cloth. Much better than plastic map size tape.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    VERY NICE, Dan ;) !!!!! Looking forward to the next post. Cheers !
    Kenneth :p.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Kenneth!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks good Dan,
    looking forward to see some photos of the base!
    keep up
    christos
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Chris! Coming up!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Dan
    Great sculpts as usual. Unusual subjacts, the freedom of the scratch builder ounce again.
    Pete