1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique French Dragoon and Painting Faces SBS

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Aug 9, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Super SBS,great work on the flesh areas and eyes,look forward to seeing more of this Bailey
  2. Katjuscha Active Member

Germany
    Thank you for the great explanation. I tried some 54 mmm faces too but my results are miles and miles away.
    I look forward to see more from you.
    Chris Mortimer likes this.
  3. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    He looks like he has a pulse! Outstanding work. My 54mm faces are 2 bus rides,a taxi and a long walk away from anywhere near yours. If I could get a 120mm+ face half that good I'd be wrapt!!
  4. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Bailey
    Here is another pic from Paris. Diff shot of the one Ron posted
    Paul

Attached Files:

5. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, guys. And thank you for the additional reference. I've had a couple other projects on my workbench, so work on the dragoon has been a bit slow. I laid out the basic colors for his coat and worked on his shirt and pants. I started on the dark green but just wasn't happy with how it was going. I need to rethink the paints I'm using and come at it a different way. I think the green is dark enough, I'm just not getting enough contrast so it looks too flat.

Drgn_04.jpg Drgn_05.jpg
  6. Griff Member

I do like what you've done so far, I will also find the face painting article useful.

Griff
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for that great SBS. I use oils, but it's still very useful to me.

As for the greens, try getting more out of the highlights on the tunic - that will automatically make the shadows deeper to the eye. I am always reluctant to criticise photos on here - too much gets in the way and I'm sure it's better in the flesh. Keep going - this looks a top figure....
  8. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've made some progress with the greens last night. The left is my previous attempt and the right is the newer one. I still need to do the other arm and will probably tweak things a bit, but I'm much happier with the contrast now. And, despite the brighter highlights I still think that the green looks nice and dark.

Drgn_06.jpg
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    wow!!!! , looks awesome.
    I love the shade of green you've achieve, turnbacks looks great too.
  10. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    I really like your approach to describing what you are doing with this figure. The text and images tell a very useful story. Thanks for taking the extra time and effort to share your process with us! Following this one very closely!
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Green is looking really good... Don't highlight anymore, you don't want to lose the depth of the colour.
    I think this is going to be a great figure when you're done... you're well on your way in the right direction.

Cheers

Colin
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  12. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Many thanks for a great SBS.
  13. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Excellent painting Bailey!! I like it very very much!
    Great Green tones!

Regards
    Pedro
  14. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you for the comments, guys!

I've put some more work into his uniform this weekend. I wrapped up the rest of the green, finishing off his right arm. Then I moved on to the yellow sections and finally the white straps.

Drgn_11.jpg
    Drgn_07.jpg Drgn_09.jpg Drgn_10.jpg
  15. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is heading in an excellent direction mate.
  16. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice brushwork and great SBS, many thanks (y)

Cheers,
    Billy :)
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work Bailey... The greens and yellows turned out excellent.
    Look forward to the finish on this one.

Colin
  18. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent progress mate. Really like your work on it so far!

Cheers
    Adrian
  19. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Did a little more detail work on his uniform
    Drgn_12.jpg Drgn_13.jpg

The hands got the same glaze treatment as the face. It's subtle and a bit hard to see so here's a close up. Again I added some red and purple to the shadows, then a bit of red to the knuckles.
    Drgn_15.jpg
  20. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Stunning miniature.(y)

Cheers,
    Pedro.