1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Flattish Flats

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mil-mart, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Over the last month I've been experimenting with sculpting Flats, not true flats I might add but flatish, approx 2-4mm thick and approx 85mm top to bottom and I must say it's been an enjoyable experience. Material used was Super Sculpey Firm on a piece of glass and baked using a hot-air gun.
    The pictures are in the order they were made :-
    Tecumseh, Buffalo soldier, Sepp Dietrich and Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Although these Flatbusts are all completed , all comments, critique and suggestions for future busts are most welcome.
    Many thanks for looking.
    Cheers Ken

Attached Files:

tbolt7, GARRY, crf and 9 others like this.
  2. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Ken. I like especially Tecumseh and I think it is a well done experiment. It could be that it is only the photo but on the faces from the buffalo soldier and Sepp Dietrich the right side (looking on it) looks wrong under the cheekbone. It looks that only on that side there is a "hole" in the cheek.

But your experiment is much better than everything else I tried.

Ulrich
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Incredible work Ken (y)

What part was the most challenging ?
  4. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    I love the Tecumseh. (y) What kind of references did you use for him?
  5. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    i think the buffalo has an to high forehead maybe placing the eyes somewhat higher might do it.the others are excellent.
    will those be released at your label?
    cheers
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

I like 'em Ken. There are a few perspective/foreshortening issues here and there but overall great job.

Some of the flattening effect is similar to how linework can make things look (on faces in particular can look very flat, even when everything is placed just perfect) but once painted the right way - like a painting - that should go away.

Einion
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good Ken.
    Like them.My favorite is Sepp.

Marc
  8. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ulrich, I see what you mean regarding the left cheeks of the Buffalo soldier and Sepp Dietrich, I think it's maybe because their faces are leaning more to their left , I might of tried to over state it. I'm hoping though that painting will disguise it enough.
    Many thanks Ken
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gordy, many thanks. The biggest challenge was to keep remembering that it was a flat and to keep it so, especially around the nose area. :)
    I think on a true flat more of the emphasis is on the painter to create the impression of depth and I feel that hopefully I've achieved the half way stage.
    Cheers Ken
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wendy, many thanks and here's the reference picture I used, quite a colourful character.
    Cheers Ken

Attached Files:

11. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Ken

Forget to ask. One of or a chance to get a copy from Tecumseh?

Ulrich
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Markus, here's the picture I used for the Buffalo soldier , theres quite a bit of shading to go between his eyes and the brim of the hat and hopefully I've got it right and once painted it wll look right.
    I will be releasing them under my label and I have run some castings off but just need to package them.
    PM me if you're interested in any. (y)

Cheers Ken

Attached Files:

13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Glad you've finally come out of the closet as it were. Nice to see them posted, and some much deserved interest.
    Carl.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great stuff ken and I would definately be interested in having a go at any of these.

Roger.
  15. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Einion appreciate the comments. It is a learning curve and an enjoyable one and I hope any defects or short comings can be easily corrected by the painter.
    Cheers Ken
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc, many thanks and glad you like him, he was one I did as a full bust, so it was easier to do a second time .

Cheers Ken
  17. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Fantastic work Ken on all of them, I am impressed, congrats.
  18. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ulrich, PM sent.
  19. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Ken, I love these especially look forward to painting and presenting them as the ones I have seen are great, once again well done mate.

Regards
    Dennis
  20. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom