1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Flats!

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Graham, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Graham A Fixture

England
    Much inspired by Roger (Billyturnip) superb painting of flats, I decided to have a go.

I well remember having a try at painting Flat figures before but, as I wasn't grasping figure painting very well back then, my Flats were even worse. Roger did a great step by step tutorial with me guiding me through a complete paint job on a figure resulting, at that time, the best but still not good, I had achieved.

These have been sat in a box for about three years so it is time they saw some paint.

First, they were cleaned up using washing up liquid and a toothbrush and were then airbrush primed with Vallejo Grey Primer. They were then mounted onto a pice of art foam board to save handling the figures. A tip that Roger gave me was to place an arrow on the backing board to indicate the direction of the light.

Vallejo Dark sand, Basic Flesh and Ivory were used to start to develop some structure to the faces.

image.jpg

A bit closer

image.jpg

image.jpg

Long way to go but it's a start.
    theBaron and captnenglish like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great start Graham.
    At least you'll have plenty of flesh to practice on.(y)
    Graham likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very good start Graham. Another little tip for painting flats is when you think you have done enough shading and highlighting do it again. It sounds a bit weird but because most of us started out painting round figures we naturally stop the process where we would on a round figure. Flats always benefit from that little bit extra to add depth.

Roger.
    theBaron and Graham like this.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Start is good, but as Roger said. More high and shading.

Marc
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very nice start Graham! ..it's already taking on some life. (y)

Regards,

Mark
    Graham likes this.
  6. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Keep going it looks well good;) and if you need help just ask! Rogers here as well as a few other flat painters

Brian
  7. Graham A Fixture

England
    I
    It's Roger who got me in this mess in the first place lol ;-)
  8. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    He dose that, He'll have you using oil's next hahaha
    billyturnip and Graham like this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

Nice project
    Graham likes this.
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    looks well Edward I have to admit I can't do flats at all despite Rog's help
    Steve
  11. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve !..... .. :oops:. ... Edward ??? :LOL:

Mark
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    Err Graham even I have NO idea where Edward came from :facepalm:
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Trying to wind up Bootnecks has addled your brain.
    Helm likes this.
  14. Graham A Fixture

England
    Lol, I have been called a lot worse ;-)
  15. Graham A Fixture

England
    I think I am losing control of this, I have spent ages bouncing from shadows an highlights but I just don't seem to be getting any harmony between the two. Any ideas before I strip and start again? I just know it is going to go muddy.....

image.jpg
  16. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Graham! A damn good start!(y)... however acrylics!.... are, or can be a thicker medium of paint! ... layers will soon build up. and start looking lumpy/flaky, if un-thinned, ;) .....( this is why I like oils!) :D . However, if I could suggest that you to look at what the consistency of the paint you are using and gradually build up layers, almost like 'Glaze painting'. (y)

Regards,

Mark
    Graham likes this.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I would agree with Mark on that one, one of the reasons why I changed to oils. I would suggest you put them aside for a couple of days and work on something else, a little rest usually helps and then take another look. I think you should get away with building up the shade and lights with multiple layers of very diluted paint without the need to strip them.

Roger.
    Graham and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  18. Graham A Fixture

England
    It is very thin, quite transparent in fact, usually takes four swipes to make even the slightest difference. I think I will stop and come back later as I did with the Crusader bust. Cheers guys :)
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England

You're off to a good start Graham and after a few more thin coats you'll start to notice the difference.

Roger.
  20. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Honestly your getting yourself in a tizzy, do not strip just work the figure, leave the faces and paint the coats see how that go's and you'll probably find it all comes together, and the faces can be dealt with later if you want:) your doing fine so far;)

Have the coats different greys not just one, shading first then colour followed with the high lights, mix your paint to get different colours and you'll get there, really it's not hard just another style (y)
    Graham and billyturnip like this.