1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fix for Frozen tops on oil paint tubes???

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Jaybo, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    What is the best fix to loosen up the tops on oil paint tubes? Soaking them in turps? Thanks.
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hot water(y)
    OldTaff and Jaybo like this.
  3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    I start by using anything like a pair of pliers to gain leverage over the cap. Turn the cap by applying slow and steady pressure with the pliers, being careful not to crush the cap. And you don't want to twist the tube. Sometimes I will squeeze the paint to the top of the tube to make it more rigid. If this doesn't work, I will apply some lacquer thinner around the bottom of the cap and give it some time to work its way into the threads. Then I try the pliers again. When this fails, I have some empty oil paint tubes I bought thru Amazon. I just cut the original tube and transfer the paint to the new one. But this has only been for a color that's not available anymore or is very expensive to replace.
    Jaybo and theBaron like this.
  4. jai A Fixture

Italy
    reheating the flame of a lighter for 2 seconds
    OldTaff, Geoff Charman and Jaybo like this.
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just immerse the paint tube upside down in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. It softens the hard paint inside enough to turn the cap.

Keith
    OldTaff, Jaybo, valiant and 2 others like this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I use a nutcracker.
    Casse-noix_inox_03.jpg
    Always works.

Marc
  7. Huw63 A Fixture

A match and pliers are my solution.

Cheers

Huw
    clrsgt, Geoff Charman and John Bowery like this.
  8. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I use pliers and it works. Slowly twist the pliers, keeping the tube immobile.

Chris
    clrsgt and Huw63 like this.
  9. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    When I tighten a paint tube lid I then loosen it a quarter turn. I find it much easier to open then.
    Geoff Charman and Tecumsea like this.
  10. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    The boiling water always works
    OldTaff likes this.
  11. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    If you do use pliers or nut crackers be cautious as some of the paint caps are quite delicate, I've had a few crumble on me, even quite new tubes. It may be that W&N had a bad batch but I know I am not the only one to have experienced this problem.

To be honest I often find putting a cloth or another fabric to protect you hand around the cap gives you sufficient leverage to remove it-Hot Water is the second course and pliers if nothing else works.

If all else fails switch to Acrylics....LOL....I am joking :LOL:

Keith
    Chrisr, Helm, Scotty and 1 other person like this.
  12. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    Here are a few tips I learned over the years:
    Try gently tightening the cap if it is stuck, then loosen.
    Put Vaseline on the threads of a new tube and put the cap on to lubricate both.
    Instead of wiping the extruded paint onto your palate, wipe the paint off with a toothpick or spatula so not to get paint on the threads. Also, if you hold the top of the tube and gently pull down on the crimped end by holding the points with thumb and finger to retract some of the paint back into the tube. This prevents the paint from squishing out onto the threads when placing the cap back on.
    Joe
    Jaybo, Mongo Mel and Scotty like this.
  13. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
  14. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    A nutcracker or boiling water. Good ideas for the future.
    Chrisr likes this.
  15. Jay-BFG Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Paint more:) don't give them chance to set
    Jaybo, Chrisr and Scotty like this.
  16. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I will be retiring this June after 34+ years practicing law as an assistant prosecutor. The law is a jealous mistress so come July I will no longer have an excuse!
    Bootneck likes this.
  17. jai A Fixture

Italy
    ahahahahah

probably from July I will not have a job, but still young for retirement ... another reason not to have excuses
  18. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Boiling water every time , this softens up the oils and then tighten the top by an 1/8th - 1/4 of a turn before unscrewing . I don't know why but this works every time . I think it breaks the seal .
    chippy
    OldTaff likes this.