1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First try at bust painting, looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Redfinger, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Redfinger Member

This is my first large scale bust I have painted. Typically I paint miniatures so it has been a challenge trying to balance color, contrast and detail. Here is what I have so far. I feel like I am done with the face, I might add a little more of a warm color between the eyebrows to emphasize the glare. I have also started on the head wrap. I think I need just a little more contrast there as well. All color were first based in acrylic and then shaded and highlighted with oils. I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions at this point to try and improve.

Thanks

A.

Attached Files:

2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks very nice from where I'm sat (not withstanding that I had to tilt my head to look at it). Maybe just a tad more highlighting on the end of the nose and the high points of the cheeks but that's just a minor nit-pick really, it looks great to me.

- Steve
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    (y) Bingo!
    7602_781154831944606_8113042577977437310_n.jpg . 10435462_781154825277940_1484322538985698480_n.jpg This is looking very good! the face is superb! .. well done.

A? what type of name is that! ?:D. This is not a disreputable site, if you have a fear of names, fair enough! .. But I am not prepared to call you just 'A' ? :LOL:

I vaguely recognise this piece! .. Who is it produced by?

Regards,

Mark. (From London, UK);)
    captnenglish likes this.
  4. Redfinger Member

Thanks for replaying that Mark. I uploaded the pic from my iPhone am it tends to rotate pics the wrong way when I do that. My name is Ashton, "A" is what I typically type when I am sending emails at work, it is kind of an auto pilot thing.
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    (y), Then welcome Ashton! You have made a great visual on this piece!

Mark
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ashton this is great if it's your first bust.
    I think if you put both sets of somments together into your piece
    you will have something
    Really terrific.
    Sometimes the problem is knowing when to stop !
    Paul
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ashton,

Wecome to PF .its a great forum

Nice work..1st bust ....well done

.....like the flesh work agree with Steve about the tip of the nose

...even though it's in oils !!...off to hug my Acrylics

Hope to see more busts from you ...soon

Nap (K from UK!!)
    garyhiggins likes this.
  8. swralph A Fixture

Nice work,the face looks really good to me.(y)
    Ralph
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree with Ralph, on this one! I think his 'Nose', looks 'Bang-on', otherwise there is the risk of it looking quite animated. :unsure:

Take, Peedee's advice! and know your 'Stop Point'. ;)

Regards,

Mark
    swralph likes this.
  10. Redfinger Member

Wow! Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will post some updates later. As far as thar face goes the only thing I was thinking about doing at this point was a little more work around the brow. In the unpainted bust the face looked quite stern, as I have painted it though things have softened up. Two things that I think are contributing to this are;

1. The eyebrows are too high, I think if I bring them down a little that will emphasize the glare.
    2. Not enough shading around the brow. I think I will add in a little bit of a warm color around the brow to emphasize the glare.

As far as future work, I have a few more larger scale figures and busts sitting here that I will work on. Everyone's work here has been such and inspiration and I really apreciate the feedback.

A.
    Tubby-Nuts2 and captnenglish like this.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good start on this bust.

Marc
  12. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nicely done so far.
  13. Redfinger Member

Thanks guys! Here are a couple of updated pics. I have started on the cloak/headwrap. I think I need to increase the shadow just a bit. I also need to go back and do the things on the face that I mentioned earlier. I will have another update in a day or two.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    You should be proud of how its comming out mate. Love the face. I'd be over the moon if I had done this.
  15. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Everyone else hugs a Teddy Bear! Nap had to be different?(y)
    Hello Ashton, if this is your first large scale bust,you've done a lovely job, great skin tones, and the whites are very well handled. But if I can make a suggestion, don't second guess yourself, put it aside, leave it for a while, and if something's wrong modify it then.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  16. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    This is looking great. You've captured the glare you mentioned in your 1st post.
    Is it just me, but in a couple of the pics does it look like Peter O'Toole?
    Great job so far Ashton(y)

Barrie
  17. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I can only wish I will get a quarter of that result looks great
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ashton,

One issue that many modellers struggle with as they transition from miniatures to larger scale figures is knowing the right level of contrast to apply.

In general, the level of contrast reduces as the scale increases, and vice versa. So in large scale figures and busts, the amount of contrast is significantly less than you might use in 28mm, 54mm figures.

Having said that, I think you could push the contrast levels a little bit more on this bust.

As others have pointed out, the end and bridge of the nose could do with some subtle highlighting. I would also look to add some highlights around the edges of the eyes and on some of the facial wrinkles etc. In general, the upper highlight colour is not pure white, but approximately 20% base flesh colour mixed with white. This isn't a hard & fast rule, more a rule of thumb and subject to individual taste and style.

The effect most of us are trying to achieve is one that looks natural and realistic but also slightly artistic, if that makes sense.

One technique that you may have heard of is the use of oils over acrylics. I can personally recommend this technique as I use it myself. It helps to make faces more realistic and adds depth, sheen and texture to skin. Once you've mastered painting faces in acrylics, I suggest you look into it.

Keep up the good work and keep asking questions. That's the quickest way to learn and improve.
  19. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ashton, nice to see you here mate.

Nothing wrong with this.
    You've captured the eyes extremely well.

Following with interest
  20. Redfinger Member

@tonydawe- most of this so far has been painted with oils. I have been using oils on miniatures for a while now, and I agree you can do some amazing things with them! Thanks though for the feedback.

I have some updated photos I will post tonight. I have corrected a few more things on the face after letting it sit a few days and I am much happier with it.

Thanks again guys!

A.