1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed First Scratch-built Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by arj, Jun 13, 2015.

1. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Folks,

This is my first attempt at sculpting a bust (scale 1/10).
    I've been trying to sculpt heads for a few months with varying success / failure and, after the twenty odth attempt, I finally decided that I ought to take it to the next stage.
    The torso is simply a series of sections of Super Sculpey stuck one on top of another and smoothed off before baking (I'm no artist, but I can call on some engineering skills).
    The subject is a Warsaw Militia man from around 1750, which I chose because there was no intricate detailing required.
    WM - 1750.jpg
    The following are the head and torso in their initial stages.
    Head 23.jpg IMG_1244r-c.jpg
    Subsequently stuck together, with sculpey clothing, miliput arms and belts and plastic buttons.
    IMG_1245r.jpg IMG_1246r.jpg
    And eventually moustache added, missing button replaced and bust primed.
    IMG_1249r.jpg
    Ultimately, the painting completed.
    IMG_1265r.jpg IMG_1266r.jpg IMG_1267r.jpg IMG_1268r.jpg
    I realise that there are many faults, such as the head location wrt the shoulders, the lower torso requiring to be fuller etc etc ...., but at least I've completed what I originally set out to do ...... create a bust of my very own.

I'd like to have another go soon and therefore would appreciate any and all critical comments to help me on my way.

Finally, I'd like to thank Carl Reid and Stuart Hale (stu on PF) for getting me going on their sculpting SBSs, and for their constructive comments and advice when I was still trying to sculpt a head. Thanks also to Gary Higgins and Martin Tabony for their valued assistance at that time.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  2. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It is a very good effort, not even for a first work. And another excellent thing that it is seen though to a complete finish ( I struggle with this, its my Achilles spot)

You already know things that you can do better next time and you can ask for more feedback if need be.

6-12 month down the line you will look at this one and wont believe how much you improved (so definitely keep this one)
    garyhiggins and arj like this.
  3. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Nice one Andrew. Congratulations on the completion of your first sculpt. Definitely keep it as mentioned above. Wish I was further on with mine, one day I will get it finished lol.
    Well done again mate.
    Barrie.
    garyhiggins and arj like this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

That's a great first sculpt.(y) I can't offer advice as I can't even draw matchstick men.
    arj likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Great opening salvo. And yes if you keep at it you will improve quickly as long as you have a result in your mind's eye of what you want to achieve. One thing I can suggest regarding the torso is not to try and make it by shaping one piece if putty. Make an armature (e.g. using a crushed metal foil shape), set an imaginary central line and then add putty to each side, building it up to the requisite shape and size. This results in a more balanced and proper sized result.
    garyhiggins, napoleonpeart and arj like this.
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for your encouraging comments.
    I must admit that when it came to painting I really missed that well finished feel that you get with the commercial masterpieces that I'm used to painting. Guess that's another item to work on next time.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    garyhiggins likes this.
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the kind comment Barrie.
    I have bit of an advantage over you in that I'm retired, I chose to do a bust rather than a whole figure, and selected a subject with minimal detail.
    Looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    garyhiggins likes this.
  8. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the kind comment Ralph. I can't draw either.
    One doesn't have to be a baker to know whether a cake looks and/or tastes nice. Same with figures .... if you think something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.
    I'm fairly thick skinned and I'm trying to learn from my mistakes, so any and all observations will be welcome.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    garyhiggins and swralph like this.
  9. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for the encouragement Colin.
    I had thought of starting with an armature, as you suggested, but just didn't have the confidence. Therefore I took my engineering option.
    I printed out a triple view of the human form to an approximate scale of 1/10 and then drew sections across the torsos. Then, using two centrelines I sketched out a series of torso sections, which I then transferred to tracing paper. It was then simple to place the tracing paper over rolled out Sculpey and prick the outlines into the clay. Once cut out, the layers were placed over each other and smoothed out prior to baking.
    Torso sectioned.jpg Torso sections.jpg
    Maybe, as I gain confidence, I'll move to the armature method. It would certainly save on Sculpey.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Congrats on a brave attempt and on finishing him!
    I think the head is the best part of the bust.

As to your method for building up the torso, it's much like 3D printing. Now you only have to make the layers thinner and more numerous and you don't even need to learn to sculpt anymore! :)

Cheers,
    Adrian
    garyhiggins likes this.
  11. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the compliment Adrian.
    Given that the head was my 23rd sculpt (with around five others that never reached the baking stage), while the torso was my one and only attempt, certainly proves that a lot of practice helps.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    garyhiggins likes this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Well Done Andrew, it might not have the smooth finish of a commercial piece, but it's all your own(y). All you need now is experience, you'll learn the little tricks as you go along. I look forward to seeing him in the flesh at Bugle Call.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    arj likes this.
  13. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Well done. That is way better than I could do so you should be proud.
    Cheers
    John
    arj likes this.
  14. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again for all your help Gary.
    See you at Bugle Call.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    garyhiggins likes this.
  15. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom