1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Part 1 and Part 2 step by step Roman Aquila bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by taff edwards, Apr 18, 2014.

1. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys

Well I have started the bust ,I must say it is a joy to paint ,its one of those sculpts that just loves to be painted .
    I started off with a clean up as mentioned in other thread not much at all .
    I then gave all the parts a wash in some warm soapy water and let it air dry , after that the components were given a spray of white Matt spray primer that was allowed to dry and then a coat of Matt gray primer both humbrol.
    I find this gives a really good solid base for the paint

image.jpg

I started with the face which is a dream to paint and as mentioned by members a clever idea to have it separate .
    I started with the eyes , not pure white but a mix of Vallejo white and red a tiny amount of red .
    This was applied then the corners and the inside of the eyelids was a light filter of of a stronger mix of white and red .
    I then used scale 75 flesh colours the mid brown and applied filters under the eyes and the corners .

image.jpg

My method is properly a lot different to many others , I then filter using again scale 75 flesh tone set I am not going to say use this one or that one as I have mentioned people have there own mixes and toning steps ,I must say they are super paints good filter property's and the pigment is very smooth
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The hood I have given a couple of washes will use darker inside to create the depth
    image.jpg image.jpg

I have given the under shirt a light coat of dark red , and have given the armour in a sense an undercoat of humbrol silver ,this will naturally be toned down using washes and inks ,but that will be later on .
    image.jpg
    The eyes have been completed however I do tend to leave for a day or so and revisit they have had a touch of gloss to bring them alive and white added to to give high light .
    The face will need a couple of more filters on the high lights , lips and teeth I am happy with . I want a little bit more red on the cheeks thinking I might make him look a little cold and I wanted to make him look tired

Well that all for today sadly off to work tomorrow until Tuesday so hopefully will get some more done , I must admit this bust has been a dream to paint so far and I look forward to sharing more step by steps soon .
    Hope you all have a safe and fun Easter
    Cheers Chris
    image.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Chris ,

Blooming heck my little welsh leek ...you don't hang around ....looking forward to seeing more after this good start ..nice to see Scale 75 being used ..be interesting to see how you set about the armour.

Watching this with interest

Nap
  3. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Your not hanging about Chris. Will be following this.

Barrie.
  4. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice fleshtones Taff.
    I think you'll get away with the irises but maybe just a wee bit larger?

Nice work on the metal of the helmet.

Great pictures too.

Following with interest.

Gells
    FigureLover and housecarl like this.
  5. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gells

Yea I have been going back and for looking at it and you have confirmed what I was thinking will reajust thanks for the feedback , I always do that revisit my dad use to paint a lot and he used to do the same ,and the old adage knowing when to stop and then go back fresh eyed .
    Cheers Chris
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks fantastic Chris (y)

I like this piece so I'll be following with interest.

Cheers,
    Billy :)
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This is a nice little project you've got going Chris, so I'll be keeping an eye out as well.

Joe
  8. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Definately following this one. Great job so far.
    Tom
  9. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys
    Thank you for the feedback and taking time to have a look . I am enjoying it to but work today until Tuesday .
    Cheers Guys be safe
    Chris
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great pics Chris. Really enjoying following your process and for hearing your thoughts about how go tackle various issues and planning ahead. Love the flesh hones and the stubble on the face. I'm following with interest.
  11. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    nice start chris, looking good, it seems like a nice crisp sculpt, try not to finish this before i wake up tomorrow.

cheers zane
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    I like what you've done so far Chris I aim to have me one of these at some point
    Steve
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Great start, and I can see you are really into this bust, I can see why as its a lovely sculpt for sure. As one who doesnt really use acrylics, its great to see a SBS on these, thank you.
    I have to agree with Gells, a bit bigger irises and it would be spot on!!!
    Ben
  14. swralph A Fixture

Great work so far,love those eye's
  15. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    That’s some tough-lookin’ dude. You’ve done him credit, Chris. Can’t wait to see the finished job.

Jeff
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good work Chris.
    Your work on the face is excellent.
    Press on Mate, looking forward to you progress.
    Keith
  17. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys
    Well back from that bloody thing that stops me painting ....work lol ...although does finance it so not a bad trade really
    Finished this morning had a few hours to crack on so have made some progress .
    I must say again this really is a wonderful bust to paint and it comes together so well .
    Well lets get on chaps
    I had under coated the undershirt in a dark red but did it with a watery consistency as I wanted the undercoat to jest peek through .
    image.jpg

Then today I started on the shadows and the highlights using the following combinations , I not going to say what ratios as I am a bit un technical so it's all by eye sorry guys
    The colours were
    Scale 75 Indian Shadow SC23
    Vallejo black
    Filters which are still in progress were done with
    High lights Scale 75 Pink Flesh SC21
    Vallejo Carmine Red 908

image.jpg image.jpg

I then worked on the metal work of the helmet inside the hood , the cheek plates and the armour, the body plates have had no filtering as yet but a a coat of a combination of metallic paints sorry Kevin ..lol
    The colours used were as follows and I experimented with a combination
    Vallejo silver 70997
    Vallejo Gunmetal Gray 70863
    Vallejo Bronze 70998
    Vallejo Gun metal blue 800
    Vallejo Gold
    You will find obviously that the check plates do cover up a fair part of the side of the face so individuals can chose to paint that area or not I did as I find it easy to paint the whole face , and its good practice for me , ok Chris cut the bull you forgot about the plates didn't you ..........YES ...ok I am a plonker right that that out of the way .
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The head positioning into the cape hood was straight forward if you turn the head to the right as you put it in it will prevent any paint damage to the face ,although some of you guys might well paint with the head placed in its final position .
    I have done the gold / brass of the decoration on the cheek plates and the band on the helmet ,
    AsI mentioned I have not filtered the helmet but I did do some on the helmet cheeks as it was easier than trying to do it when the head was in position put gold with a mix of brass and white was used on the edges and the decoration and washes of a black in recesses and joints .
    The inside of the hood was painted a darker tone I will then build up the colour on the outside but this is just my workable filter base . The base colours for the cape are
    Vallejo Kharki 70988
    Vallejo Dark sand 70847
    Inside of hood
    Combo mix of dark sand and Tamiya XF -Flat Brown
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have not adjusted the eyes yet going to have a go at paint and putty with the boys tomorrow night see ya there fellas
    Well hope this has been help full so far , looking forward to moving on to the next stages which will really start to pull it all together all feed back and critic really welcome .
    Cheers Chris
  18. Helm A Fixture

England
    If its any consolation I did exactly the same on the Youngs bust with the cheek pieces Chris. Really liking this SBS
    Steve
  19. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry forgot to put these pics in
    Cheers Chris
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    debrito, Eludia and Tonton like this.
  20. Mark S Guest

Nice progress Chris, looking great mate.