1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique First flat - Spanish Royal Guard Lancer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Eludia, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey folks,

After much trepidation, I've decided to venture into the weird and wacky world of non-3d figures. Thanks to Roger Newsome (billyturnip) for spotting this one on e-bay for me the other day (and not buying it himself as it was a bargain at £4, free postage too).

It looks like a fairly simple project to cut my teeth on. Its mainly white, blue, red and yellow which, as we all know, are the easiest colours in the world to paint :whistle:

So far I've just cleaned it up, undercoated with Vallejo Model Air Light Grey and mounted it on a bit of foam board...thats it :)

DSC_1321.JPG DSC_1322.JPG

Thanks for tuning in :)
    pgarri27, Joe55 and SERHAN OFLAS like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That does look nice, I wish I'd bought it myself now. :playful:
    Looking forward to seeing how you get on Billy, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm actually painting something very similar myself. :shifty:
    Gaudin and Eludia like this.
  3. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Its look very,very nice.
    Flat figures (for me at least) are art and you mastered it very well.
    Eludia likes this.
  4. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't speak too soon Dejan, I haven't put a paintbrush anywhere near it yet ;)
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Eludia likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's a nice one.
    Looking forward to your painted version.

Marc
    Eludia likes this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've managed to get back onto this one after a while spent doing other things. I basically decided to paint this in watercolour and gouache as a little challenge for myself and some experimentation. I stripped it back and reprimed it with Halfords white and set to it. I've already started another thread on the watercolour attempt and posted one or two progress pics on there but any further progress I will post to this thread.

So, enough waffling, here is a quick pic of progress so far (excuse the quality, it really was just a quick snap):

DSC_2076.JPG

I'm quite happy with progress on the horse and (I think) that is just about done now. I'm especially happy because I've never painted a horse before never mind a white, flat one. I'm by no means an expert on horse anatomy (not even a novice tbh) so I have absolutely no idea if the muscles and stuff are in the right place, what you see is just my interpretation of the shapes on the sculpt. Please let me know if I've done something daft ;)

Next step is the rider and the various baggage that goes with him. Onwards and upwards :)
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent (y)!

Now keep slapping paint on this puppy and have fun :)!

Joe
    Eludia likes this.
  9. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like your approach to this one my friend.

experimenting the way you are doing will teach you more about the technique than you imagine.
    Have fun and do as Joe tells ya!
    looking forward to more

Paul.
    Eludia likes this.
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Struggling a little bit with the blue at the minute. Ultramarine in watercolour is a bit unruly and I'm not too happy with the results, and the effort it's taking to get there. It is a very grainy pigment and it is proving impossible to get a smooth, non blotchy finish on the uniform. Three attempts so far :(

It's getting to the stage now that I'm thinking of stripping the whole thing back and redoing it in oils. I might just put it aside for a few days and try again, maybe with another, less granulating, blue like Prussian or something.