1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First figure advice required

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Griff, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Griff Member

Hi

I'm about to start on the Benito 54mm of the British grenadier, 49th of foot, North America 1777.
    My question is where can I find reference material for this period in regards to uniforms. Also was the any regulations in regards to facial hair whether soldiers could grow beards as I wish,if I can to depict the model as a soldier with either heavy stubble or wearing a beard I don't want to put a pic up on the site once finished only for someone to say nice figure but beards not allowed for that period of history.

Thanks

Griff
    theBaron likes this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a first port of call you could try this, or the relevant individual volumes contained therein.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Soldiers-of-the-Revolutionary-War_9781841766157

I don't think that beards were generally worn during that period so I would definitely avoid full whiskers, though you might get away with a bit of stubble for an "on campaign" look.

Not the easiest of figures to choose to paint for your first attempt, but good luck. And don't be afraid to post up photos when you've finished it. We're a friendly bunch (most of the time anyway!) and there are many great painters on here who are very happy to share tips and advice.

- Steve
  3. Griff Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm not expecting a master piece on my first figure but will enjoy painting it any way. I did have plans to paint a Hoplite but the bronze armour put me off as don't think I will have the skill at this time.
    Look after yourself!

Griff
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    We all had to start somewhere Griff and you have the right attitude - just enjoy the experience, and the improvements will come with each figure you paint. Happy painting!

- Steve
    Griff likes this.
  5. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi Griff
    Welcome to this wonderful hobby of our. I hope you enjoy painting your first figure. The hobby to me is largely a solitary affair but as Steve says on this site their are some wonderful painters who will always share tip/ information etc.
    Remember we are not all world class painters and I include myself in this bracket but just enjoy what you do.

Where do you live if you have access to a local club it is great to meet like minded people who will encourage you also in just over four weeks it is Euro Militaire model show in Folkestone which is always a treat.

Good luck with the figure.

Peter.
    Griff likes this.
  6. Griff Member

Hi Pete

Thanks for the encouragement !

Griff
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hiya Griff
    A good scource of American wars grenadiers are the paintings of Don Troianni on his website is a gallery for each period.
    They should inspire you and here's a couple of examples
    Royal%20Welsh%20Fusiliers.jpg TRW169%20-%2052nd%20Regiment%20of%20Foot,%20Private%201775,%20%20Grenadier%20Co-300x300.jpg
    I'll post his website for you in a few mins. Hope it's a help
    Best wishes
    Paul
    Steve and Griff like this.
  8. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    peedee and Griff like this.
  9. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Griff likes this.
  10. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome aboard Griff and good luck mate!
    Gary
    Griff likes this.
  11. Griff Member

Hi

Again thanks for the advice!
    Jon thanks for the recommendation, now down loaded onto my iPad !
    Paul thanks, superb site now added to my bookmarks!
    Gary thanks for the welcome!
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'll second Babelfish. Facial hair was not worn by the British army at this time, which followed civilian fashion, generally. In the 18th century, in Britain and on the Continent, facial hair was out of fashion, with notable exceptions. Fashions changed as the century came to a close and revolution broke out in France, changes that were seen as a deliberate break with the fashions of the previous generation.

It's a sticking point for me, facial hair, and drinking vessels. It bothers me to see a figure that is otherwise well-researched, and then to have those kinds of details wrong.

As far as references go, Osprey is good, but I'll recommend also Carl Franklin's "British Army Uniforms of the American Revolution", for its extent and for wonderful schematic layout for the illustrations. Though the title specifies our Revolution, the book starts with the late 17th century in most cases and then carries forward through the Seven Years War/French and Indian War, to the Revolution.

I look forward to seeing your figure!

Prost!
    Brad
    Don Johnson and Griff like this.
  13. Griff Member

Thanks Brad!